jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
5/29/14 3:17 p.m.

two part question.

1-why do i see flights when i look up directions to major cities? where did the side bar for all the listings that i looked up go? why is everything piled up on top of the location im trying to go to? why cant i search for a car dealer without being solicited for a new kia rhondo? has google really sold itself to the ad companies? when i need directions, i need them quickly, and simply. Google maps is no longer either of those. what happened, and can i revert back somehow?

2-is there another mapping site thats not full of ads and garbage, and will load on something besides a server tower? i use old tablets and and a very old laptop, i shouldn't have to upgrade to a $3000 PC to get directions to a new pool hall...

i hate change like this! especially when its change because the old way was old. change because the old way didn't work is fine, but the old way worked better, and that crap pisses me off.

sorry for the rant...any help is appreciated.

-JON

EDIT- for the benefit of the TL;DR crowd, this is easily solvable.

"You can still use the "old style" google maps, I prefer it too. On the map, click on the question mark in the bottom right corner and select "return to classic google maps". Kind of like Classic Coke"

-J0N

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/14 3:19 p.m.

I hate it, too. But I assume I'll get used to it.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/29/14 3:22 p.m.

Don't forget the stupid "images" bar that pops up and takes up a quarter of the screen when you use Streetview.

I used to like the simple interface a Google Maps. It has too much garbage layered on top of the map now. It aggravates me as well

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/29/14 3:26 p.m.

it really has become a PITA to use … almost makes me go back to paper maps …

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/29/14 3:27 p.m.

Interestingly, I see the updated Google Maps on my new office computer, but on my old Mac at home I still get the previous (and better) version.

You can try Bing Maps if you don't like Google; I haven't used it for directions, but I most cases I like their aerial views better.

edit: I just punched in a couple addresses in Bing Maps, and their directions look pretty good. Nice and simple, just the facts.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/29/14 3:28 p.m.

You can still use the "old style" google maps, I prefer it too. On the map, click on the question mark in the bottom right corner and select "return to classic google maps". Kind of like Classic Coke

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/29/14 3:41 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: You can still use the "old style" google maps, I prefer it too. On the map, click on the question mark in the bottom right corner and select "return to classic google maps". Kind of like Classic Coke

YES! OMFG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--J0N

EastCoastMojo
5/29/14 3:44 p.m.

my pleasure J0N.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/29/14 3:46 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: You can still use the "old style" google maps, I prefer it too. On the map, click on the question mark in the bottom right corner and select "return to classic google maps". Kind of like Classic Coke

THANK YOU <3

EastCoastMojo
5/29/14 3:50 p.m.

you are very welcome wbjones!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
5/29/14 3:51 p.m.

Google didn't sell out to the ad companies, they ARE the ad company.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/29/14 8:39 p.m.

as mentioned... just force it to go back to classic version...

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
5/29/14 9:50 p.m.

Those software engineers have to get paid somehow.

EastCoastMojo
5/29/14 11:11 p.m.

In reply to iadr:

Don't use the print icon on the google maps page, use the File>Print option from your toolbar. (Alt key will show the toolbar if yours is hidden).

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/30/14 2:07 a.m.

Mapquest is still a thing that some people use..

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/30/14 3:08 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: Mapquest is still a thing that some people use..

no, it isn't. at least not if you want to go where you asked to go... if you are up for a road trip 200 miles in the wrong direction, its awesome!

-J0N

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/30/14 5:57 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: Mapquest is still a thing that some people use..

no go …. try finding Michelin Proving Grounds ( Laurens SC) aka Black Lake, on Mapquest …. one of the best a-x sites in the SE

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
7/28/17 9:02 p.m.
dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/28/17 9:42 p.m.

OMG I didn't realize this was a zombie thread until I saw a wbjones post. :-(

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
7/28/17 11:51 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

As I actually have recently. Not horrible.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/29/17 9:02 a.m.

I used to use Waze for in-car nav. It was nice because it showed real-time traffic backups and locations where the fuzz was hiding out.
Then....it started showing pop-ups on the screen that you have to close in order to see the map. Isn't that dangerous? Then I started getting messages that some other dude or dudette Waze user wanted to chat with me. Uhhh, I'm driving. Aren't you???

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/17 9:14 a.m.

if only google news was as easy to fix. I really really hate how the search bar ONLY searches news now.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/29/17 9:17 a.m.
dculberson wrote: OMG I didn't realize this was a zombie thread until I saw a wbjones post. :-(

Me too.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/17 9:27 a.m.

Same.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMMwKixD49jnDc0w5oJeCBY8VUXsBveYfJ1YPEHnmQVpoRhDKWY9YTUc7a7JkclV