1 2
Duke
Duke Dork
3/20/09 12:23 p.m.

You really can't get a better illustration of why change for change's sake is almost always a bad thing. The poor Mazda 3 has now beaten the Audi "trout pout" A4 redesign for the Good Things They Just Never Should Have Berkeleyed With award.

Subaru already clobbered the hell out of the Impreza/WRX/STi after roughing it up several times. Now I'm waiting for the ugly axe to fall on the unsuspectingly beautiful Legacy GT.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
3/20/09 12:30 p.m.
Mazda said: I'm so happy with my new colour
mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/20/09 12:31 p.m.

I've seen prettier catfish.

ggarrard
ggarrard GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/20/09 12:35 p.m.

Why we grabbed an '09 off the lot last week... Even the salemen had disparaging comments about the "silly grin"...

Duke
Duke Dork
3/20/09 12:37 p.m.

It's the one car I can think of off the top of my head that's likely to be improved by a "tuner-style" body kit. The sad part is, that much like the pignose WRX, by most accounts the new one is a better car.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/09 12:45 p.m.

The pignose WRX has aged well though, especially compared to the bloated sperm whale that is the new POS. I still can't get over how ugly the new Imprezas are, or the rear drums on the base cars, or the horrid Toyota parts-bin IC scoop.

Oh, and the Legacy was already walloped with the Ugly Stick. It has the stupid squeezy-fish bulged lights, a bizarre chrome trapezoid grille, and it grew an extra set of taillights.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/20/09 12:53 p.m.

ouch

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
3/20/09 1:11 p.m.
Duke wrote: It's the one car I can think of off the top of my head that's likely to be improved by a "tuner-style" body kit. The sad part is, that much like the pignose WRX, by most accounts the new one is a better car.

That's true, a whole new front bumper would make that thing alright as long as it isn't super Fast and the Furious.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/09 1:26 p.m.

While the ridiculous smileyness of it is quite silly, I think it looks better...although I don't think I'd want to drive one in public...

I definitely prefer the shape of the '09, maybe if there was a kit to make it look less like one of the Joker's henchmen's cars it would be okay.

Duke
Duke Dork
3/20/09 1:27 p.m.

Well, a lot of people seem to like FX45s, too, so I guess there is no accounting for taste.

I don't think it's the Jokermobile - it reminds me more of this guy:

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/20/09 1:36 p.m.

Finally, the Aztec has some competition!

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
3/20/09 2:30 p.m.

Personally I think the new 6 front end is pretty fugly too. Not the grill area so much like the 3 above but the fender/hood design just doesn't work on the 6 like it does on the 8.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
3/20/09 4:17 p.m.

I'll take "Cars that shouldn't have front plates for $500, Alex."

Seriously. It looks like the bucktoothed Chinaman stereotype.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/20/09 4:32 p.m.
fastEddie wrote: Personally I think the new 6 front end is pretty fugly too. Not the grill area so much like the 3 above but the fender/hood design just doesn't work on the 6 like it does on the 8.

I’ve had an 8 for two years and the fenders seem as silly today as they did when I rolled off the lot.

The new face of the 3 reminds me of this:

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
3/20/09 4:37 p.m.

Hey Mazda: the "Nagare" design concept only works on concept cars. Like the Furai:

The 3, not so much.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
3/20/09 4:57 p.m.

Cool it has a creepy little mustache like john waters.

Josh
Josh Reader
3/20/09 5:03 p.m.
Osterizer wrote: I'll take "Cars that shouldn't have front plates for $500, Alex." Seriously. It looks like the bucktoothed Chinaman stereotype.

Oh my.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/20/09 6:36 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: Cool it has a creepy little mustache like john waters.

100% Awesome!

amaff
amaff HalfDork
3/20/09 7:07 p.m.

I saw one in person a couple days ago... I gagged a little

Luke
Luke Dork
3/20/09 10:16 p.m.

I like it. It's the best smiley-faced car since the bug-eye Sprite. Sure it looks ridiculously happy and frankly a little racist, but most modern cars are too serious and aggressive looking, anyway.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/20/09 10:24 p.m.

Looks like it's puking up a hockey puck.

yuejals
yuejals New Reader
3/21/09 11:41 a.m.

I really like it. It's happy. It's daring. For better or worse, it looks like no other compact car out there. It is a polarizing, love-it or hate-it look in a world where every single car is trying to look identical to one another.

Ironic how the statement "it looks like a Mazda3" was used to deride the blandness of the Subaru WRX's looks, but will probably be no longer be used.

I will admit that I also love Audi A4's "trout pout" look too. I would put that car on my list of Good Things That Still Look Good.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/09 11:55 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Looks like it's puking up a hockey puck.

AH ha ha! It totally does.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
3/21/09 7:08 p.m.

They managed to screw up the 3 more than Subaru screwed up the WRX. It was quite an attractive little car. My mom wants a 3...I should tell her to buy soon!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/21/09 8:07 p.m.

think this will drive down used prices once thes are 2-3 years old?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aThlWgcgCF4J0wynkcEG1zuv4N3XgfehnQvE5XObtEAjOBGMvFNtfngtoClcLIwA