1 2
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/22 4:23 p.m.

Adult happy meal toys from someones night mare:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/6/22 4:47 p.m.

In these wacky times, we should be glad they're not putting "adult toys" in the "happy" meals.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
10/6/22 4:54 p.m.

Those are creepy. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/6/22 5:06 p.m.

and here I was thinking they were going to start selling the good Hot Wheels with rubber wheels.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 5:09 p.m.

I don't know what cactus plant flea market is, could that have something to do with why they have extra eyes like anime monsters?

wae
wae PowerDork
10/6/22 5:11 p.m.

I have many things to say on the topic but I can sum it all up with: get those damn kids off my lawn!

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
10/6/22 5:16 p.m.

Give me a fidget cube or some sort of puzzle and take my money. As for those toys^^^ I'm probably at the tail end of generations where calling someone four-eyes was a common playground insult. Maybe that's the angle they're playing at?

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/22 5:28 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/6/22 5:49 p.m.

Cactus Plant Flea Market is the creation of Cynthia Lu, former assistant and designer alongside Pharell Williams (guy who did "Happy" that was popular a few years back). She made her own website that was for a long time just gifs and video and pictures of her following Pharell around while he toured and what not. She had this habit of designing apparel for him that had logos or messages that people were like "ok cool I agree with that but what is it?" Or "is that a real thing?" Basically, weird branding she just kinda made up. It'd be like if you designed stuff while drunk, someone famous thought it was funny and started talking you up, and then suddenly, you're really freaking rich. 

Other rappers started asking Pharell about his drip, and her "brand" grew - adopting the four-eyed smiley face as its mascot. 

Basically, she's a clothing artist, and people want her stuff because famous people want her stuff. 

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
10/6/22 5:50 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Give me a fidget cube or some sort of puzzle and take my money. As for those toys^^^ I'm probably at the tail end of generations where calling someone four-eyes was a common playground insult. Maybe that's the angle they're playing at?

They're targeting the overwhelmingly large amount of mid to late 20-somethings who are depressed by inundating them with nostalgic happiness associated with getting a happy meal combined with the present day popularity of their streetwear brand in the same demographic in an attempt to capitalize on said depression.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
10/6/22 5:59 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In these wacky times, we should be glad they're not putting "adult toys" in the "happy" meals.

But they fill you up?

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
10/6/22 6:26 p.m.
hunter47 said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

They're targeting the overwhelmingly large amount of mid to late 20-somethings who are depressed by inundating them with nostalgic happiness associated with getting a happy meal combined with the present day popularity of their streetwear brand in the same demographic in an attempt to capitalize on said depression.

If it isn't going to get treated, may as well turn it into a profit to keep the cycle going. Right?

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
10/6/22 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Error404 :

It was mainly a tongue in cheek comment. I'd say just let people be happy if they find happiness in it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/6/22 8:43 p.m.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/6/22 9:25 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

What was "happy", and how did he do it?

I assume that's a pop culture thing, and I'm too old?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/6/22 9:27 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

It's kinda sad that that kinda targeting will probably work on an alarmingly overwhelming amount...crying

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 10:26 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

They got me to go in today. Unfortunately I got T shirt guy instead of one of the characters. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/22 10:53 a.m.

Has a real 'don't hug me, I'm scared' feel to it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/7/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Because a picture is worth a thousand words:

I'm an old fart completely out of touch with pop culture since the late 90's, and I've heard this a hundred times, at least.  When it came out, it was unavoidable, or so I presumed.  It seems I was wrong?  laugh

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/22 10:59 a.m.
84FSP said:
1988RedT2 said:

But they fill you up?

Please don't super-size me!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/7/22 11:04 a.m.

My only question about those toys: Why!?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/7/22 11:35 a.m.
hunter47 said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Doesn't make sense to me, if I'm reduced to eating McDonald's, I'd be pretty berkeleying depressed. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/7/22 11:45 a.m.
RevRico said:
hunter47 said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Doesn't make sense to me, if I'm reduced to eating McDonald's, I'd be pretty berkeleying depressed. 

Kids don't see it that way.  Marketing can really suck the kids in.  And since most young adults are just large kids anyway....

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
10/7/22 11:50 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:
RevRico said:
hunter47 said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Kids don't see it that way.  Marketing can really suck the kids in.  And since most young adults are just large kids anyway....

PLEASE I made a tongue in cheek quip. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/7/22 1:36 p.m.
RevRico said:
hunter47 said:
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Same. I haven't eaten there in over 20 years. Our Trail Life group stopped there after a campout and I just sat there. Hard pass. I'll just be hungry.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hUJYL1VbSChb2B67lHaAGNlSS1PF50uE6Edvjyb44VF5azjyz8AgUSxYOKIQHKYh