1 2 3
stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/27/11 9:27 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:

I see cars like that all the time driving around in Minnesota, except the patina is real.

My only real experience with watercooled VWs was the Rabbit my brother bought new back in 1975. For the time it was a pretty revolutionary car, and it was a lot of fun to drive.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
9/27/11 11:34 a.m.
Grizzly wrote: Club that berkeleyer upside the head, see if that gets his brain going and he fixes that E36 M3.

You're joking, right? He worked long and hard to make it look that E36 M3ty - no way he's going to "fix" it. That's my major complaint with the rat scene, no matter what flavor of car it's applied to.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
9/27/11 11:58 a.m.
NickF40 wrote: That Rabbit was ridiculous, when I was down at H2O, that was it's first event he brought it to, he had to stop every 10-15 minutes to tighten the bolts and couldn't drive more then 35 miles per hour. It spent the whole weekend pretty much on the back of a flatbed. The guy was a toolbag to put it nicely.

Did he ever try driving it halfway up a concrete Jersey barrier? That thing looks like it was meant to go down the highway with one wheel on the blacktop and the other several feet up the wall.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
9/27/11 12:36 p.m.

That one rabbit was a abberation and is in no way representative of the entire VW crowd. When he started the build thread every response was do not do this.

He claimed it was all well engineered and pro fabricated and the car was totally safe.

I never saw a picture of what was done to the front of the car but I am oddly curious. The whole thing was a mess and the car was impounded at H2O and he never went and got it out.

Judging the VW scene based on that car is like judging the mopar crowd by these guys

To be fair however the hemi tards are a closer approximation of The muscle car crowd than the camber rabbit was to the VW crowd

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/11 12:58 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

Is that what it looks like? I mean, that it's just extra long bolts holding the spindle to the flex beam, and it's just got a spare bolt next to the bottom attachment bolts?

I feel ill...

But I still miss my MK1 GTI sometimes

failboat
failboat HalfDork
9/27/11 1:09 p.m.

thats not a spare bolt, i think its actually stuck in there as a fulcrum point/spacer to hold that amount of camber on the rear. he adjusted the ridiculous camber by tightening the top bolts more than the lower ones.

theres safer ways to do that but boy did he rig the E36 M3 out of it. no wonder everyone thinks hes retarded. and no wonder he had to keep retightening bolts.

this is how i did it. no additional camber just a 13mm spacer

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/20110818183558.jpg/

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/11 1:14 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about the "spare" bolt. Ook...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/11 3:24 p.m.

I did some questionable things to my car too when young.. but aside from not upgrading brakes on an overpowered beetle.. never anything that stupid

corytate
corytate HalfDork
9/27/11 8:51 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: That one rabbit was a abberation and is in no way representative of the entire VW crowd. When he started the build thread every response was do not do this. He claimed it was all well engineered and pro fabricated and the car was totally safe. I never saw a picture of what was done to the front of the car but I am oddly curious. The whole thing was a mess and the car was impounded at H2O and he never went and got it out. Judging the VW scene based on that car is like judging the mopar crowd by these guys To be fair however the hemi tards are a closer approximation of The muscle car crowd than the camber rabbit was to the VW crowd

ummmmmmm so the spring isn't actually really on the top spring perch? hmmmm...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/11 9:10 p.m.

In reply to corytate:

at full droop the spring is too short to be preloaded so it falls out of alignment with the upper perch. not the end of the world, but kinda dumb to not have droop limiters.

i found this image while searching for a "retard canoe". it was posted on t3h vortekz so it must be cambertastic:

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/28/11 9:55 a.m.

Is that a retard rope or a retard rape?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/11 10:32 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Is that a retard rope or a retard rape?

depends on who attached it, i guess.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/28/11 10:36 a.m.

That rabbit is still alive, actually. It's the same car that has/had the offensive stencil on the hood of the dude holding the phone or gun or whatever out to some prisoner.

Owner posts as "Swagrabbit" in some of the more nefarious corners of the internet.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/11 4:55 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Zomby woof wrote: No, we think you're the eleventh province, or possibly the fourth territory. I don't know this bumper sticker of which you speak.
I think he's confused about the fact we build a lot of dem der 'merikan automobiles.

I know it, but the guys with the jingoist bumper stickers sure don't.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/28/11 4:59 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: That rabbit is still alive, actually. It's the same car that has/had the offensive stencil on the hood of the dude holding the phone or gun or whatever out to some prisoner. Owner posts as "Swagrabbit" in some of the more nefarious corners of the internet.

Yeah, this car.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/remember-the-terrible-rabbit/22274/page1/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguy%E1%BB%85n_Ng%E1%BB%8Dc_Loan

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/11 5:04 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to corytate: at full droop the spring is too short to be preloaded so it falls out of alignment with the upper perch. not the end of the world, but kinda dumb to not have droop limiters.

Or helper springs. Thing that is scary.. I think I remember reading that the Rabbit only had about 4 inches of suspension travel anyway

AngryCorvair wrote: i found this image while searching for a "retard canoe". it was posted on t3h vortekz so it must be cambertastic:

And the dubbers wonder why they get so looked down upon.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/28/11 9:13 p.m.

Oh, dear, I should probably paint my car before it starts rusting and somebody thinks I'm some kind of VW scene kid.

The tall knobby tires will probably be a dead giveaway that I'm not, though.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
1/12/12 6:03 a.m.

Canoe

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XKLvOBkQcpaDpJC6D7zgRt7mKCH7VesU2TAb58sk6gGr5uiN1CiIlYHHp1j3ZwPA