1 2
mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/28/17 4:04 p.m.

Between two big dogs and our stuff, we kinda need a bigger vehicle. Not really need one, but it would be nice.

For our needs, really the Minivan is the best bet. But space is at a premium in my garage, in the interest of keeping it a 3 car garage (it is really 2.5).

So with that in mind, what is the smallest Minivan out there (years 2005 to 2017) that is not a Mazda5? And in a separate question, what is the vehicle that is closest to a Minivan that isn't a minivan?

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/28/17 4:09 p.m.

Is a 5 too small? I would think the city vans like the Transit Connect, Promaster City, and Nissan/Chevy twins.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/28/17 4:12 p.m.
Brian wrote: Is a 5 too small? I would think the city vans like the Transit Connect, Promaster City, and Nissan/Chevy twins.

5 is in the running, but likely not what we want. I'm just asking for the others since I already know about the 5.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 4:13 p.m.

Rondo?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 4:36 p.m.

Juke?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/28/17 4:42 p.m.

The Honda Element has fans among dog owners for its minivan-like flat floor and configurable seating.

wae
wae Dork
6/28/17 4:52 p.m.

The Honda Crosstour is ugly but dog-functional.

We had a Legacy wagon which had lots of dog room.

The much-maligned PT Cruiser has a surprising amount of cargo capacity.

Other than the 5, all the minivans are pretty similarly sized. What's driving you towards minivan versus a wagon or a neo-station-wagon (crossover) or a small SUV?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/28/17 4:57 p.m.

Before the Mazda5 there was the Mazda MPV in two generations. I think 05 was the last of this body. Based off Mazda 626 (mid sized sedan) mechanicals.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/28/17 4:58 p.m.
wae wrote: The much-maligned PT Cruiser has a surprising amount of cargo capacity. Other than the 5, all the minivans are pretty similarly sized. What's driving you towards minivan versus a wagon or a neo-station-wagon (crossover) or a small SUV?

And in that vein, HHR?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/28/17 4:59 p.m.

Gen 1 scion xB?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
6/28/17 7:55 p.m.

The Crosstour is ugly and it drives nice, but I can confirm that if you have a large dog, the large dog is all that fits other than front seat passengers.

I once rode in a Kia Rondo with I believe 7 full size dudes in it. I can see it working for a lot of people's less stupid needs.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/28/17 8:22 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Before the Mazda5 there was the Mazda MPV in two generations. I think 05 was the last of this body. Based off Mazda 626 (mid sized sedan) mechanicals.

The MPV IS the perfect size. My 2005 is starting to show its age, but I'm not thrilled with the notion of replacing it with something larger. Smaller is not an option. Mazda, are you listening?

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
6/28/17 8:30 p.m.

The first-gen Transit Connect is shorter than a Camry by 9"

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/17 9:27 p.m.

I came here to say Element. Pretty good little vehicle with a lot of space inside. Surprisingly small on the outside.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/28/17 10:18 p.m.

Element may be a winner too--just not sure it will be big enough long term.

Seems that many minivans used to come with LWB and SWB options. Too bad that's no longer a thingg

jere
jere HalfDork
6/28/17 10:50 p.m.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQROELotLjk ... Oh wait you wanted a brand new minivan... Not sure the reality of the possibilities but rondo with Mitsubishi parts... And boom rondo evo right Mitsubishi 4B1 engine Hyundai Theta engine

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
6/29/17 5:42 a.m.

Just 2 people + dogs + stuff, or planning for little people + dogs + stuff too? If the latter, I think the Mazda5/Transit Connect is going to be the smallest you can get away with. If the former, I'd go with the 1st gen Scion XB suggestion earlier and add the Fit. Having ridden and driven in both of these cars and ridden in an Element, I think the Fit and the xB are close to the Element in interior space in a smaller exterior footprint.

Pete Gossett
6/29/17 5:46 a.m.
mtn wrote: Element may be a winner too--just not sure it will be big enough long term. Seems that many minivans used to come with LWB and SWB options. Too bad that's no longer a thingg

Bonus points if you find an AWD/manual one.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
6/29/17 5:58 a.m.

The answer is always Delica. Well, actually it is technically Miata, but you get what I'm saying.

Ottawa
Ottawa GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/29/17 6:38 a.m.

Large dog owner and multiple Element owner to say Element is the right answer for this problem. Shorter than a Honda Civic sedan for city parking, with one or both rear seats folded up you can carry large dogs in comfort. Add a rubber floor mat for better paw traction. Rear tailgate is handy for egress launching.

Note that there are significant interior differences in 2007 model as the easily worn through front seats are replaced with more durable version and the seat belts are no longer attached to rear door.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/29/17 8:15 a.m.

Two dogs right now and a wife who can't pack light. The smaller dog is a Samoyed/Aussie mix; the larger is a Great Pyrenees.

No little humans yet, but the talk of them has sparked this discussion.

Pete Gossett
6/29/17 8:19 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

Toss kids into the mix and the answer is Minivan. I'm partial to the Dodge/Chrysler for their Stow-n-go and ubiquity, but they all have something to offer.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/29/17 8:21 a.m.
mtn wrote: Element may be a winner too--just not sure it will be big enough long term.

This comment confuses me since I am fairly certain the Element is the largest of the choices you are considering.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/29/17 8:47 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
mtn wrote: Element may be a winner too--just not sure it will be big enough long term.
This comment confuses me since I am fairly certain the Element is the largest of the choices you are considering.

Element is bigger than a Mazda MPV?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/29/17 9:00 a.m.

A little shorter, but the cargo space (seats down) appears similar. The MPV is a bit longer, overall and if little mtns may be in your future, the MPV would definitely be a friendlier choice. Having spent some time in the back of an Element, they were really designed for two people most of the time.

The one downside of the MPV is they were last sold here in 2006. Good luck convincing Mrs Mtn to haul around her precious cargo in a (minimum; assuming you have a kid next year) 12 year old van.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8HryecQ7uarOd66Gl5SXQmSB4N6iyeJvwXgkmmGVmjU6JyA4oGQ0E6hyy5XrZE1c