dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/09 1:21 p.m.

I'm looking for a trailer and found this one on racingjunk.com. The guy is asking $1800 but seems negotiable.

From what I've been able to discern from him, it is a 2000 model, low miles, clear title, slide in/hidden ramps but no trailer brakes. Given those details and the picture below (granted...not much to go on), what would a good price be?

this is to haul your race car or any other car. I have also used it to tow a truck that broke down so it can hold that much weight. It has a rack for your race tires in a tool box . And a winch so it can pull the car up its self it you break down.There are ramps that slide away as so you cant see them

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
10/27/09 1:27 p.m.

I sold one recently similar to above but with dual brakes for $1000 in nice shape.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/09 1:29 p.m.

Price may be reasonable, but I would pay more for one with brakes. A lot of states require them on trailers over a certain weight. The are also just plain smart to have.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/27/09 2:00 p.m.

FWIW, I sold a four year old 18 footer with brakes on four wheels with an aluminum tool box for $900.

No winch, but they're not a $700 item. If I was in a hurry, yes; if not I think you can do better.

Dan

dyintorace
10/27/09 2:06 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I sold one recently similar to above but with dual brakes for $1000 in nice shape.

That tells me a lot. Thanks. I wish I had bought yours!

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
10/27/09 2:07 p.m.

I agree with the previous two posts. That looks like it could be a decent open trailer, what with the tool box and tire rack, but it would be a $1000 trailer around here (Colorado).

-Chris R.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
10/27/09 6:21 p.m.

No brakes - $500

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
10/27/09 7:07 p.m.

Yeah. I know it sucks from the sellers end, but trailers simply do not hold their value like other tools do. Trailers are like cars, they loose half their new value pretty much the day you drive off with it.

I bought my trailer new and had it custom made because of how narrow my car is, and I also wanted brakes on all 4 wheels as well. I paid about 2200 for it new with my personal modifications. Since then I've added a winch ($80), and I made my own hide away tire rack. I know I couldn't sell it for more than $1500 and it's only 2 years old. But as others have said, if it doesn't have brakes it's worth a lot less. If I didn't have brakes at all I'd probably expect more like $600-$800. No brakes really limits the potential tow vehicles.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/27/09 7:18 p.m.

We must not be in car trailer country around here. You guys seem to find and sell them for much less than I see them listed. You get sub $1k for a double axle anything around here and it is a total POS.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
10/27/09 7:18 p.m.

A new 16-18 footer runs 1800-2400. Looks ok, but on the high end.

fastasleep
fastasleep Reader
10/27/09 7:50 p.m.
blaze86vic wrote: Yeah. I know it sucks from the sellers end, but trailers simply do not hold their value like other tools do. Trailers are like cars, they loose half their new value pretty much the day you drive off with it. I bought my trailer new and had it custom made because of how narrow my car is, and I also wanted brakes on all 4 wheels as well. I paid about 2200 for it new with my personal modifications. Since then I've added a winch ($80), and I made my own hide away tire rack. I know I couldn't sell it for more than $1500 and it's only 2 years old. But as others have said, if it doesn't have brakes it's worth a lot less. If I didn't have brakes at all I'd probably expect more like $600-$800. No brakes really limits the potential tow vehicles.

I disagree somewhat; I look at a trailer like a tool, not a vehicle. That being said, you could have that trailer brand new for about $2200 here. Also, some states require BOTH axles to have brakes.

-Les

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
10/27/09 10:25 p.m.

In reply to fastasleep:

I'm just referring to what they sell for. I personally value mine over 2k, but I know I wouldn't be able to sell it for that.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/09 12:18 a.m.

Last one I bought like that I paid $1400, but it was a bit bigger. It has a fully-floored diamond-plate steel floor and the tire rack was removed. It was originally designed for a lifted Excursion offroader.

8000 gvw, 20' deck, two axles with electric brakes on both, wimpy little HF winch that almost pulls my car up on it, two steel ramps... definitely ugly, but sturdy.

Just for perspective, when I was having a hitch fabricated for my box truck, the trailer shop had an insanely sexy flatbed for sale. It was all aluminum, stem to stern, diamond plate bed, super low deck, hinged fenders, custom box with a monster winch concealed in it, slide-out ramps, 22' deck... every possible sexy trailer thing known to man except naked women on it, and they were asking $4400. I was SOOO tempted. In fact... I think its still for sale. I found pictures on their website...

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/28/09 6:58 a.m.

Dyintorace, this is in your neighborhood isn't it?

If not, you feel like taking a trip to upstate New York? The leaves are pretty.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/for/1433640900.html

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/09 7:50 a.m.

i purchased my 1997 18' dovetail trailer with full wood bed, hidden ramps, and a superwinch s5000, with trailer brakes for $1200 i'd like to say 4 years ago now. might have been 5. you could probably pick up that model trailer with brakes new for $1800.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/28/09 9:40 a.m.

I paid nine bills for this trailer (sans Europa):

It has brakes on one axle. I need to do some maintenance on it, but it's a good trailer. The guy I bought it from had if for about ten years and maybe put 1K miles on it.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
10/28/09 9:46 a.m.

hard to believe that professionally built double axle trailer doesn't have brakes on at least one axle. I agree you want at least one braking axle. the trailer looks nice, the winch adds a couple hundred bucks to the value, the spare tire rack another couple hundred... I don't think he's being unreasonable. I'd see if you could get him down to $1500 cash and use the $300 to convert one of the axles to electric brakes.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/28/09 10:33 a.m.

Brakes aren't hard to add, most trailer places can tell what axles you have and set you up with the brake pretty much assembled and ready to bolt on.

dyintorace
10/28/09 12:35 p.m.
andrave wrote: hard to believe that professionally built double axle trailer doesn't have brakes on at least one axle. I agree you want at least one braking axle. the trailer looks nice, the winch adds a couple hundred bucks to the value, the spare tire rack another couple hundred... I don't think he's being unreasonable. I'd see if you could get him down to $1500 cash and use the $300 to convert one of the axles to electric brakes.

Thanks to everyone for the info. As a trailer-ignorant individual, I'm forced to ask...is it a simple visual inspection to determine if the trailer might actually have brakes? Is it a drum-type set up if present?

andrave
andrave HalfDork
10/28/09 12:42 p.m.

they can have discs or drums but discs would be highly unlikely (and discs are exclusively surge brake, which would have the surge brake tongue, and that one doesn't).
If it has drums then it has brakes. If it just has spindles/hubs than it doesn't. Quick peek underneath would tell for sure one way or another. Witht he open deck design prolly wouldn't even have to get your knees dirty.

Apparently it depends on where you are, but sub 1k car haulers in decent shape are hard to find, and with a winch and a tire rack, I think that one looks decent. Obviously if its in crappy shape or will need tires, or lights dont work, thats gonna decrease the value. But check this out:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329383_200329383

the breakaway kits are available for $30 or so, and brake controllers are available used from $10 and new from $40 or so. Its not THAT expensive a proposition to add brakes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MeEIgOwX2M2oIoFNwmI9ZZodHCuhCQ3Ys9RfhvuZDu38PbiwiHsKqV3tfme1kDxm