1 2 3
Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
12/4/12 1:32 p.m.

I brew beer.

It would be great to make more money and have more creative control of what I brew but that will come in time.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/4/12 1:37 p.m.

Gigolo.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/12 1:39 p.m.

I teach in a high school. I love my job. I can't think of anything I'd rather do. I am lucky and privileged to do what I do.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
12/4/12 2:33 p.m.

Working my way through evening/weekend classes to become a pilot.

Who knows if it will work out in the end, but hey at least the classes are fun.

And I have to admit, the deeper down the pilot/flying rabbit hole I get, the harder and harder it is to continue caring about cars as a hobby, flying is just too much fun.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
12/4/12 3:42 p.m.

In reply to M3Loco:

My dream job would be playing my trumpet for a living, but that opportunity has come and been missed many years ago.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
12/4/12 4:26 p.m.

Dream job would be something where I'm outdoors when its nice, indoors when its not, paid well enough to raise a family on a single income, got paid for travel, traveled occasionally to neat and beautiful places, was relatively safe, and relatively easy on the body so I wasn't beat by the time I was 40. Oh, and something that won't require me to get another 4 year degree.

Still trying to find out what the job is and how to get it.

For me, no matter what I do, if I do it too many times in a row in the same place, I'll get bored. Gotta be different scenery, different challenge every day.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/4/12 4:42 p.m.

Dream job? To get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do mostly whatever I felt like at the time.

Nice thought.

What I do? Not to bad and for the most part I enjoy it but, also not what I envisioned when I was growing up. I wanted to be an archeologist of all things. Tough to do when you HATE school.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/4/12 5:31 p.m.

Marry money and spend my time trying to spend it all on race cars, don't tell my wife,.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
12/4/12 5:59 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Marry money.......

I tell customers that - marry for money, that love thing is over rated. Could I easily be Mr. Sandra Bullock? Yes.

JK; my wife and I are blessed with almost 26 years of marriage......

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
12/4/12 6:21 p.m.

I have the perfect face for voice acting.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
12/4/12 6:27 p.m.

In house gynecologist - Penthouse Magazine.

still have to work next to a shiny happy person.

Thank you very much, try the veal!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
12/4/12 6:29 p.m.

I enjoy writing. I've written lots of short stories, poems and haiku just for fun. It would be nice to be well compensated for that sort of thing.

Of course, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to using proper punctuation and grammar...

I'll often ask the wife (Her level of education far surpasses my own.), "Does this look right to you?"

"It looks like English isn't your native language."

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/4/12 7:19 p.m.

My dream job is not my current job. My job isn't all bad. I enjoy the challenges, I like that I get to learn a lot, I like that I get to solve problems, I like that what I do has an impact, but it is not my dream job. It's just the job I have. I like that it pays well.

Good luck on the interview.

I retired after 20 yrs in 2009, so I went through a similar transition not too long ago. Having medical insurance and some retirement check coming in every month makes things a lot easier.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/4/12 7:24 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: I enjoy writing. I've written lots of short stories, poems and haiku just for fun. It would be nice to be well compensated for that sort of thing. Of course, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to using proper punctuation and grammar... I'll often ask the wife (Her level of education far surpasses my own.), "Does this look right to you?" "It looks like English isn't your native language."

Ouch!

Similar problem here and my wife is an English major.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/4/12 8:53 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Dream job? To get paid ridiculous amounts of money to do mostly whatever I felt like at the time. ... I wanted to be an archaeologist of all things. Tough to do when you HATE school.

Funny, I am an archaeologist, and I certainly don't make ridiculous amounts of money. Still in grad school, too. Even the tenured professors I know with massively popular selling books don't have vast riches. I mean, except for that guy who's spouse makes TONS of cash, and the other one who's married to a doctor... It is literally the only field I know where you get a Ph.D. and end up digging up someone's old privy (read: hole for crapping). Two months ago I was working at a project- The best guess is that I was digging in a ditch used to catch animal crap. It was 150 years old, and it still smelled. No, there wasn't an easy place to wash my hands before lunch, either. Still thought it was hella exciting.

I would say I'd love to be a pro racer, but reading up on the discipline and amount of non racing work involved, I don't think i'd love it for long. Maybe a pro-GRM forum poster? Pro video-game-in-my-living-room-player?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/4/12 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

150 yaer old crappers? That's why I always liked to be the guy running the remote sensing equipment. Dragging the GPR over the field and telling you guys where to dig. More computers, less poop. Almost certainly would have continued in this direction had I not decided to be a stay at home dad instead. Turns out that this is my dream job. Yes, it helps tremendously that my wife makes bank. Don't let them kid you, money may not buy happiness, but it does make life loads easier. I didn't marry for money, but things turning out the way they have, I can say that it might not be a bad plan.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
12/4/12 9:06 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

The first field school I went to had a separate remote sensing crew (gpr, magnetometer, resistivity, everything) and I'd personally rather be digging. There was another dig we did in the woods and we had to do our own surveying, and that SUCKED. Had to hold the prism steady for minutes while people tried getting leaves and saplings out of the way, all the while deer ticks are creeping over my shoes and mosquitoes are stealing all of my blood... No thanks. I'll do crap digging any day. At least we find cool stuff! Stay at home dad sounds pretty sweet, too. I actually like cleaning, laundry, all of that stuff. No kids yet, though. within a few years...

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
12/4/12 9:08 p.m.

I am in pursuit of my dream job, yet what exactly this dream job actually looks like is a bit vague. Over the past few years, I have developed an obsessive interest in everything fresh produce; including storage conditions, marketing, logistics, and procurement. I have been tailoring my education to this end as best as I can, and as my graduation date looms (August of next year), I will come to realize if this is in fact my dream job.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
12/4/12 9:11 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: Pro video-game-in-my-living-room-player?

You do know a lot of people are making money at this these days, right? It's actually far more attainable than it previously was.

Me personally, I'd hands down love to compete in stage rally professionally, including dealing with all of the stuff BESIDES racing. If I had been smart/known better, I would have went directly up north out of high school and worked my bag off for $150k per year for 4 years. That would have put me at 22 years old, and I could have ran two seasons of the WRC Academy. Of course, that wasn't around at the time

corytate
corytate SuperDork
12/4/12 9:37 p.m.

I'm very slowly working towards my dream "job"
I keep getting frustrated at every turn, but I want to be in my own shop, building race cars and show cars for myself and for other people.
Going to SEMA and PRI every year with something, UTCC, etc etc.
And driving=]

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/4/12 9:47 p.m.

I'll be non-specific here, but I feel very lucky.

There's a job that I've been trying - for seven years - to get a chance to do. I was given that chance, and started a few months ago. It is fun, but very challenging.

Luke
Luke UberDork
12/4/12 10:15 p.m.

Could you elaborate, if possible, Joey?

Since I was a kid I wanted to be either a car designer or a marine biologist. Now I've got the biology degree, pursuing post-grad studies, still working in a bike shop to make ends meet. This remains a path towards my 'realistic' dream job, but if I were independently wealthy or something....

Maroon92 wrote: One day, I'd really like to be the owner/manager of a high end restoration facility. Something on the level of Bruce Canepa or Gunnar Racing. Somewhere with a clean room for engine assembly. An attention to detail that is second to none. I'd like to gain the sort of trust and notoriety that we get to restore vintage racing cars, and high level collector cars. I want to travel the world searching for that missing part, and visiting other original cars for research purposes. I love detail work.

Also, g'luck M3Loco!

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/4/12 10:25 p.m.
Luke wrote: Could you elaborate, if possible, Joey?

PM sent

Luke wrote: Since I was a kid I wanted to be either a car designer or a marine biologist. Now I've got the biology degree, pursuing post-grad studies, still working in a bike shop to make ends meet.

That would be fun. What's your area of research?

Luke
Luke UberDork
12/4/12 10:33 p.m.

PM received, thanks Joey! Congratulations, also.

Probably coral reef ecology. Still discussing projects, though. And at this stage it's all tentative, I've applied but not yet been accepted.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
12/5/12 12:10 a.m.

I'd like to solve the mystery of Stonehenge.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l9MJ474B5nGGXOPWiNFzqhvxM60B8MM5RdR28Nx4VRqSREHTfjbOTNhMaWhgrdz6