1 ... 6 7 8
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/22 3:51 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I have a company come to my shop and shread them in the parking lot. It costs about $7 per bankers box. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/21/22 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Right. 

That's pretty much my point. Why would a company take on liability like that when it's not really that expensive to handle, and the liability cost is extreme. 

I think small scale mobile shredding biz may be a good idea. I think an unmarked CRX with the seats pulled out is sketchy. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/22/22 2:24 p.m.

I think there is still room in the drone photography business. 

The technology keeps getting better, the entry price keeps getting lower. The opportunities are far from exhausted. 

It can be done part time, full time, or on a larger scale with multiple subcontractors. Almost any college kid will fly for you.

Cost of the drone can be paid for in a day or two. 

Almost unlimited opportunities for expansion. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/21/22 9:44 a.m.

Growth is probably a good point. 

Phones probably eclipse binoculars these days. 

Shredders will run out of paper. 

Knife sharpening needs to stay competitive against the cost of a new blade. 

If I was I investing in a business I'd want to be on the ground floor of something that will be in demand for the next 50 years, not the last 50 years.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/21/22 11:20 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

I'm not sure I would.  Depends on the demographics, my own age, and the overall business plan. 

For example...

Large number of baby boomers are retiring. There is great opportunity in the service sector as they age. I am 60. I'd only want a business as a side gig for the cash flow. I have no interest in negotiating a deal to sell to a big conglomerate as my retirement paycheck. 

So, a small service business with excellent cash flow catering to the needs of baby boomers that I could shutter the doors in 5-10 years would be perfect. 

If I was 30 years old and wanted to sell my company to a big conglomerate in less than 10 years for huge gains, then I'd be working my ass off to be first to market with a good growth business that targeted young consumers that would be attractive to conglomerates in a few years. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/21/22 11:23 a.m.

Not to mention, the stress...

I am at a point in my life where I have ZERO interest in more stress. A knife sharpening business sounds great. 

With great growth for the next 50 years comes great stress. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
12/29/22 12:58 p.m.
Knife sharpening needs to stay competitive against the cost of a new blade. 

There is an guy on TikTok that sharpens knives and explains it pretty good ,

@steven_sharpens

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
1/11/23 10:14 a.m.

AI driven art, illustration, and advertising.  Sadly gonna be the new thing that is exponentially faster and cheaper than the current.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/23 10:18 a.m.
84FSP said:

AI driven art, illustration, and advertising.  Sadly gonna be the new thing that is exponentially faster and cheaper than the current.

No point trying IMO, this is something that the tech megacorps are going to have a massive inherent advantage on due to their vastly greater access to sample data and their ability to afford exotic hardware for AI training. Not to mention nearly having a duopoly on advertising to start with.

Edit: It also helps if you have people with PhDs in areas related to machine learning on staff. These are some of the highest-paid non-C-suite salary workers in the world right now, a few of the top AI researchers are making well into the 7 digits.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/11/23 10:26 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
84FSP said:

No point trying IMO, this is something that the tech megacorps are going to have a massive inherent advantage on due to their vastly greater access to sample data and their ability to afford exotic hardware for AI training. Not to mention nearly having a duopoly on advertising to start with.

Edit: It also helps if you have people with PhDs in areas related to machine learning on staff. These are some of the highest-paid non-C-suite salary workers in the world right now, a few of the top AI researchers are making well into the 7 digits.

Yeah, but you can leverage existing tools to do it right now.  You dont need to create your own system or having cutting edge R&D to create some art and advertising solutions.

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wj4Awn2BdOPbezxiAGavUG0vuwU8IQiqgCeCl2YMxOlKAg8dJ3wbOqXQosy3laYm