1 2
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/19 6:31 p.m.

Me.  I loved going to the airport as a kid, particularly JFK’s TWA and PanAm Terminals. The buildings were very futuristic when they were new thought they depicted a much more exciting future than we actually got.  As both airlines went under their terminals sat disused with the PanAm one eventually being torn down.  The TWA one has been turned into a hotel with two towers of rooms built off of it and most of the decor 1960s styled. The Wife booked me a room for my birthday and we spent the entire day wandering around taking photos and watching planes through the floor to ceiling soundproof window in our room.  

The view from our room 

This chair was really nice, I need to find one for the house.

The best stocked minibar I’ve ever seen.  The even had Tab.

The Wife, a runway model.  There’s a little bar in the back of the Constellation.

More pics: https://m.facebook.com/wally.m.9/albums/10162400031810500/?notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&notif_id=1560652597724966&ref=m_notif

eastpark
eastpark Reader
6/16/19 6:47 p.m.

That’s awesome. Looks like you had a great time. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/16/19 6:50 p.m.

That's fantastic.

Once in a great while we have a nosh or a cocktail at the airport (PDX has better options than most, though relatively slim pickings outside security) when we're feeling overdue to go somewhere.

Nothing as spectacular here as the TWA hotel, though.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/16/19 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

So there's a part of the area that's an outdoor museum?  That's pretty cool considering that many airports are trying to make more space.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
6/16/19 7:32 p.m.

That's pretty rad. I wanted to do this too since I heard they were renovating the TWA terminal.

Something about jet age architecture just does it for me.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
6/16/19 7:42 p.m.

I had heard some talk about that project in the past but I chocked it up to an idea that probably would run into issue and never become a reality. So great to see a building and style live on like that.  Glad you guys enjoyed it!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/19 7:50 p.m.

It sounds like you won at Birthdays.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/19 7:57 a.m.

I'm a pilot. I'd LIVE next to an airport. 

Old_Town
Old_Town New Reader
6/17/19 8:03 a.m.

FYI - That chair (and ottoman) is a  Womb chair by Knoll. They have a showroom on the Avenues of the Americas if you love the modern look... Bring your big checkbook.  

Wally
6/17/19 7:33 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

It was a pretty good use of empty space between the back of the terminal and the roadway for the newer JetBlue terminal behind it.  The plane barely fits between the building and the road, they painted some lines and runway lights, and made a nice little spot to have a drink.  

In reply to Woody :

I have no complaints, it made for a nice weekend.

In reply to Old_Town :

I’ve avoided going in there for some time but curiosity got me.  The chair and ottoman in red is $4439.55.  They will ship it free though. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/17/19 10:13 p.m.

Oh free shipping? That's nice.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/17/19 11:20 p.m.

Was the Tab in the mini bar from the 70’s? Didn’t realize Tab still existed. 

Sounds like a great birthday. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/19/19 8:48 a.m.
Wally said:

The best stocked minibar I’ve ever seen.  They even had Tab.

Lou: You gonna order something, kid?

Marty McFly: Ah, yeah... Give me a Tab.

Lou: Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.

Marty McFly: Alright, give me a Pepsi Free.

Lou: You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it.

My immediate first thought on hearing Tab

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/19 3:50 p.m.
glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/19 5:29 p.m.

That’s awesome. I was fascinated when i heard about they were building this. Tell us more about the stay. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
6/19/19 6:25 p.m.

Been following these pics since on Instagram. I’m insanely jealous. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
6/23/19 11:33 a.m.

When I first saw this thread title, I immediately thought, like a cynical Canadian, "What kind of idiot? An Air Canada passenger, of course!" but then the posts went in a different direction.

Well, now I have proof: passenger wakes up in dark, empty plane.

MapleFlot strikes again!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/23/19 10:45 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm a pilot. I'd LIVE next to an airport. 

Edit: I'd LIVE​​​​​​ at the airport. 

Wally
6/24/19 7:39 p.m.

In reply to glueguy :

I wasn’t sure what to expect, I hadn’t been inside since I was about 10-12 and was expecting to be a bit let down, especially once I heard it was not quite finished which was how we got a good deal that weekend.  It turns out it also had its advantages because the place was fairly empty except for some people who just passed through to check it out between flights or traveled in for the afternoon.  The downside was that some things like the food court weren’t done, they just had two places that were kind of meh, and the restaurant only had a few selections but they were good if a bit expensive though not unexpected given the location.  

Pulling up you’re greeted by valets in period jumpsuits to park your car and guide you towards check in which is done on a little tablet at the old baggage check counter to your left. In the center as you go in is an information desk staffed by two people, one in a period captains uniform, the other a stewardess who were eager to share facts and pose for photos and with them is one of the original departure/arrival boards. There are two and the messages change regularly with satisfying mechanical noises that signal an automated future.  To the right of the entrance is the not yet completed food court in the baggage claim with a 60s Chrysler, Fiat Jolly, and a loaded 1990s baggage cart. Both sides have bright red upholstered seating and travel posters of various vintages.  

Wally
6/24/19 7:49 p.m.

After checking in we went up the the main level. There’s a Herman Miller reading room under construction filled with design and style book, a Shinola watch vender, the sunken lounge with cocktail waitresses and the other departures board programmed to flip to different messages and logos, the TWA store to pick up the branded trinkets one would customarily return with like pins, pilot wings and such. There was also a bank of functioning rotary pay phones, newsstands with vintage periodicals, Coke and Tab and travel supplies.  The tubes that used to lead to the gates branch off either side to the two hotels towers. They’re steep making pushing the wheelchair a bit rough, it would have been nice if they’d been able to retain the original moving sidewalks.  

More tomorrow night...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/19 9:24 p.m.

If I can ever go there with SWMBO, it will be in period dress. How could we not?

Cooter
Cooter SuperDork
6/24/19 10:17 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

That chair is MUCH cheaper not in NYC

https://www.roveconcepts.com/rove-classics_womb-chair-and-ottoman.html?aid%5B10%5D=525&locale=en_US&gclid=CjwKCAjwuqfoBRAEEiwAZErCsnTCyx_aJP5OVMu-8ZWVIHzMLCbvCPokJp1eNOGZVtTB-19hoCmtWRoCJ6sQAvD_BwE

It has nothing to do with NYC- that is not the same chair.  The one you posted is a Chinese knockoff.

The genuine Knoll Womb Chairis not cheap, but it is very well made.  You can save quite a bit if you buy a used one.  

As for the airport sleepover, I am incredibly jealous- I have been reading quite a bit about it, and as MCM dealers and lovers, my wife and I would love to spend a night (or three) there someday.  Great pix.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/19 12:28 a.m.

This is TOO COOL!!!  My grandfather used to take me to SEA-TAC airport.  Parking was free if you stayed under 30 minutes so we'd do there, scope out the planes and then go get a bite to eat.  This tugs at my nolstagia strings.

I want to take my kids there and say stuff like "see kid?  Back in MY day..."

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/25/19 5:16 a.m.

So very cool. Can't wait to see more pics.

java230
java230 UltraDork
6/25/19 10:35 a.m.

Very cool and not what I expected from the title! I had a long layover in Dubai and they have a little hotel in  the airport. Nice to crash in a real bed rather than an airport chair....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AoIproc7i7g1w6iJNSo74PIJFCsQvuiz7zGGaYmFWwMI68Nt6M6YVqwOghwxNwUR