1 2 3 4 5
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
11/14/14 4:48 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Oh yeah, nothing beats the paper McMaster-Carr catalog, or most catalogs for that manner. You can't really browse an online system like that.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
11/14/14 8:44 p.m.

Double edged safety razor + shaving brush and the like. Cheaper and better than any new equivalent I've found.

Some of my grandfather's assorted hand tools.

Pretty sure the speakers in the living room are older than I am. If not they're close. Call it 40 years. Not sure if that's old enough to count.

Real books whenever possible.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/14 9:28 p.m.

Another Ticondoroga pencil fan. My watches have hands and sometimes chains. In the winter I have a Zippo hand warmer that I wear I my shirt pocket at work. You smell like kerosene at the end of the day but even during last years polar vortex I would have to unzip my coat a bit to keep from sweating.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/14/14 10:05 p.m.

I also use safety razors, but only to shave my neck. I use scissors to keep the beard trimmed.

Manual hedge clippers (the big scissor kind)- heck, we can say "hand tools" for most things.

Cast iron pans (Lodge), one of which was found under the house when I bought it. No idea how old it is, but I had to recondition it with a wire wheel.

Jungle-type combat boots

Kayaks and canoes, though the materials are modern. The carbon fiber paddle is one of the best things I ever bought, it really reduces fatigue over a 12 hour day.

00 shotgun shells

A Finnish puukko knife

Rapala fillet knives (though I use an industrial grade Dexter fillet knife on large fish)

Number 2 Pencils

Scott toilet paper (yes, I went there)

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
11/14/14 10:44 p.m.

DE Safety Razors and the rest of the get-up (Thanks again DrHess).

Drafting board with a T-Square, actual triangles, a scale, compass & dividers, and mechanical pencils with different hardnesses of graphite. - I can use CATIA fairly well but for personal projects the drafting board just relaxes me.

Reel mower - I got sick of listening to the gas one for my tiny grass patch.

M1A and a 1911 - You can keep your new fangled AR platform than you very much. Which reminds me that I need to order new recoil springs for the old all steel Kimber.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
11/14/14 11:01 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I think some of us might be missing the point of the thread.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: What old school product, that is still available, do you use because it's always worked even with the new fandangled products out there?
I own antique industrial grade machine tools and power equipment as well, because you can't buy them that nice anymore.

You're right.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
11/14/14 11:23 p.m.

Longbows. Made of wood. Also atlatls. Beat 20,000 year old technology for old school

Does "still available" also include stuff I can make?

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
11/14/14 11:57 p.m.

HP-11C calculator - not an app. bought it new when they first came out, still works perfectly. Besides, you get to explain what Reverse Polish Notation is to people.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/15/14 12:02 a.m.

I wish I.could still use orange bubblicious. E36 M3 was amazing.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/15/14 12:09 a.m.

tube tv

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
11/15/14 9:18 a.m.

Most of my kitchen stuff has survived from grandmothers kitchen. My waffle iron is one that was due to be replaced when I fixed it in 1969!

Old scythe! Got some hilly parts that the mower is just not practical and the weedeater is too dang slow. 2 man crosscut saw that was a staple when I was playing football. Still use it when the chainsaw is just too small.

Brace and bit was used not long ago when I was mounting 1 1/4" dowels for my extension cord and air line storage.

Bruce

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/14 9:28 a.m.

A beer in the shower..., or wait, is that new school?

fujioko
fujioko Reader
11/15/14 10:01 a.m.

I picked up a 1953 Spartan TV for the old school look. This winter I'm going to pull the guts and install a flat screen Smart TV for the win.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/15/14 10:06 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: tube tv

The criteria is stuff you can still buy new.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
11/15/14 10:37 a.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: A beer in the shower..., or wait, is that new school?

I'm really, really glad I'm not the only one who does this. Wife always give me funny looks.

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
11/15/14 10:55 a.m.

Shower rum is better

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
11/15/14 11:25 a.m.
calteg wrote:
wheelsmithy wrote: A beer in the shower..., or wait, is that new school?
I'm really, really glad I'm not the only one who does this. Wife always give me funny looks.

Nothing more refreshing than a shower beer.

84FSP
84FSP New Reader
11/15/14 11:44 a.m.

Pretty sure my wife introduced me to the shower beer. She's a keeper.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
11/15/14 4:17 p.m.

my 1997 Chevy truck has an actual honest to goodness throttle cable in it..

that's pretty old school.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/14 9:09 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Pretty sure my wife introduced me to the shower beer. She's a keeper.

Beer is easy. My wife got me a shower toaster. She seems very excited for me to try it out.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/15/14 11:50 p.m.

I'll throw my hat in on the dual edge razor plus shave soap and brush pile. That is the oldest technology I use and love the E36 M3 out of it. Much less irritation and real cheap.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/15/14 11:56 p.m.
Wally wrote:
84FSP wrote: Pretty sure my wife introduced me to the shower beer. She's a keeper.
Beer is easy. My wife got me a shower toaster. She seems very excited for me to try it out.

You almost had to buy me a new phone.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/16/14 12:05 a.m.

Mongo, a home made RV made from an old bus with well over 1,000,000 miles on it.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/16/14 6:02 a.m.

Vernier calipers without a dial or digital readout. At least for as long as my eyes hold out.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/14 7:03 a.m.

Books. I still like to read large amounts via hard copy. My wife loves her Kindle but give me a mashed up tree pounded into flat sheets with some ink.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1UL4WRcj4htp1hICONzXF3SOzO6kkFjrW204RZEr6aySDLg6g8gsaG4QuVaQnhN4