1 2
btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/17/08 1:20 p.m.

I wouldn't mind having a small truck to run around in. Probably a 90s model. Probably 5 speed. My main concerns are reliability and fuel mileage. Let's say well under $3000. Any suggestions.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
7/17/08 1:28 p.m.

I paid well under $3k for an '03 S10 extended-cab with the 4-banger and 5-speed a couple months ago. Gets about 23mpg, but isn't any fun doing it.

I'm hoping to improve both the economy and fun with a 4.8L Vortec v-8 swap, but that'll blow the $3k budget for sure.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/17/08 1:42 p.m.

I just picked up an 87 Toyota 4x4 for $1500 with 163k. If you want a two wheel drive one, those can be found fairly easily for under 3k. Just be sure it has the 22RE and not the v6. The v6 gets terrible mileage and eats head gaskets.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/17/08 2:29 p.m.

S10.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/17/08 2:42 p.m.

Get the best 4 cyl Toyota Truck you can afford. Three large should get you a decent one.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/17/08 2:44 p.m.

I've been Really happy with my sub$1K toyotai (that's plural, I think).

22RE doesn't get the greatest mileage...but certainly as good as or better than many of the alternatives.

I pulled a miata on a dolly with a booger of a 22R-powered '86 toyota for 100+ miles in near-zero degree weather without a problem.

When that one (carbed) started to run poorly, I swapped a weber on and kept driving. (I had already rebuilt the factory carb once...those things are a mess!)

My 22R powered motorhome got 13mpg pulling around a huge coach.

The beds are always rusty, the cabs...not so much.

Toyota FTW!
Clem

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/17/08 2:47 p.m.

I bought a 2wd 1994 Nissan Hardbody last fall. I routinely get 27 mpg. 2.4L, 5speed, standard cab/box.

G

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
7/17/08 3:06 p.m.

I had a '94 Hardbody 4x4, 4 cyl 5spd. Bought it new and had it for 13 years and over 100k with absolutely no issues aside from consumables - pads, belts, plugs, filters, tires and fluids.

It would climb a steep hill with 10" of unplowed snow on the ground. It would tow a 4000# boat and trailer (although I wouldn't want to go fast or far). It did everything I expected and more, without so much as a squeak.

Taking nothing away from the Toyota, the Nissan is a wonderful truck.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/17/08 3:08 p.m.

I had a toyota and a ranger

the ranger was good, I'd own one again. Never broke, but ws boring and crappy in all ways

the toyota was tougher than shoe leather. If you saw how hard i beat that truck..... I want another.

god did i beat it hard. I named it roscoe.

btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/17/08 3:37 p.m.

I have a 3/4 ton crew cab for the real truck stuff. I like the idea of 4cyl 5 speed Rangers, Toyotas, I hadn't thought about the Nissan - That's a good one. S 10s scare me - Are they decent trucks? I remember seeing a lot of early mazdas with a zillion miles on them. What year did they become fords?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
7/17/08 4:25 p.m.

S10s are some of the best small trucks.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/17/08 4:36 p.m.

I had a 2.3 FI, 5 speed strippo Ranger. Colossal disappointment. Fuel mileage barely hit the 20s. Slow. Mediocre handling. Explosion prone Mazda gearbox. Moronic internal clutch slave cylinder that failed. I could go on.

Toyota or Nissan FTW. Never been a Chevy fan.

I will totally recommend a Mazda B2000 or B2200 (that is a real Mazda, not a Ranger with a different grille). The Mazda built trucks drive really nice and are fairly dependable. Not the most powerful with a carb'd engine but okay once you got it going.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky New Reader
7/17/08 5:23 p.m.

My Nissan was dead reliable until I wrecked it. I'm still waiting for a bed at a decent price. I don't want to spend more on a bed than I have in the whole truck.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/17/08 5:30 p.m.

I loved my (late 80's, early 90's) S10's. They were bulletproof, dead reliable, and of all the small trucks (except the newer stuff) were, IMO,by far, the best driving. My last small truck was a 93 B2200, and it was very tough, and relibable, but as I've said before, probably the worst driving vehiclle I've ever owned. Both got almost exactly the same mileage.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/17/08 5:34 p.m.

Currently have a 97 Toyota T100 4x4, 3.4 V6 and automatic. Get just under 20 mpg.

Having lived with the 22RE in the mini truck, which got just a little better gas mileage, but was 1/3 the truck, I ain't going back.

Toyota 3.0 V6 is not good. The 3.4 is very good.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy New Reader
7/17/08 8:39 p.m.
I bought a 2wd 1994 Nissan Hardbody last fall. I routinely get 27 mpg. 2.4L, 5speed, standard cab/box.

I call bull. On the highway mabye.

Why get a small truck when ANY 1/2 ton 2wd pickup from the 90's gets the same gas mileage.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/17/08 8:44 p.m.

^+1

Does it need to be small?

A lot of larger trucks get similar mileage with double or triple the payload capacity.

If mileage was absolutely critical... Toyota 4cyl 5spd, Ranger 4cyl 5spd, Or S10 Ecotec 5spd (not sure if that is too new or not). Otherwise a 2wd F150/1500/1500 with some good highway gears.

btp76
btp76 New Reader
7/17/08 10:15 p.m.

Like I said before, I already have a 3/4 ton crew cab. Problem is it's thirsty - 11mpg loaded or empty. I've been toying with the idea of a 90ish civic, then it dawned on me I don't need anything else that'll haul kids, but I always need to haul stuff. I need gas mileage more than anything else. Are any of the late 80s to mid 90s small trucks really economical?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/17/08 10:51 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
I call bull. On the highway mabye. Why get a small truck when ANY 1/2 ton 2wd pickup from the 90's gets the same gas mileage.

You can call bull all you want. ~I~ get 27. I live 10 minutes out of town. I do a mix of highway and town driving. I don't live in LA.

Why ~that~ truck? Same reasons anyone buys anything - it fits their purpose.

For me,

1. It's small. I want small.

2. It still fits in my two car garage with three cars.

3. It looks cool lowered.

4. It ain't American. Hahahahahahahahahahhahahaa. Okay, that was a shot.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/18/08 12:46 a.m.
Are any of the late 80s to mid 90s small trucks really economical?

My S10's, and B2200 routinely got 30+MPG. That would be imp. gallon, and beating on them. I did better on highway trips. I think you could expect that from any of them, except (from what I hear) the Ranger.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
7/18/08 8:06 a.m.

<

I call bull. On the highway mabye.

Why get a small truck when ANY 1/2 ton 2wd pickup from the 90's gets the same gas mileage.

I can get 22 mpg out of my Cummins Ram on the highway. Granted, diesel is more expensive, but it can tow and haul just about anything. I get 20 out of my 6.5 powered Chevy dually.

Personally after owning a few minitrucks (S10, LUV, Toyota) I wouldnt go back. The full size extended cab long box is just so much more capable and the diesels return similar mileage to the small trucks.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/18/08 8:24 a.m.

My 86 1/2 Nissan Hardbody had 371,xxx miles on it when the odometer gave up the ghost. I drove it for a year after that, then my dad used it as his parts hauler for a year, then we sold it. Nine different shades of tan with spray-painted black tribal flames and a glasspack with no cat. That Z24 motor (the dual-plug one) would out-rev a rotary without breaking. That truck was my high school Senior year ride and it lived through HELL.

A few years ago I bought a 96 1/2 Nissan Hardbody (4x4 this time, but still a King Cab) with the KA24 motor. Crap for mileage (4.88 gears, 31" tires, 5-Speed) but it hauled more stuff and did more off-roading then all of the F350's in my neighborhood combined. I still miss it every now and again (I had over 125 drag strip passes on that poor thing...).

Next time I need a truck it will definitely be a Hardbody again.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/18/08 10:49 a.m.

just dont bother looking at dacotas

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/08 11:00 a.m.

If you want a REALLY small truck get a Samurai. Just remember that it still handles like a semi and the driving experience can be summed up as "you're at the mercy of nature."

If you want something bigger, get a 4runner/Surf/Hilux or Pathfinder pickup.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/18/08 11:20 a.m.

I have owned S10s, Rangers, Toyotas, Nissans and one lowly Dakota.

I loved my 1997 Ranger extended cab 3.0L V6 flex fuel. My favorite was a 1989 Ranger with a V8 swap. The most reliable was the 1992 Toyota. The least relaible was the 1990 Nissan. I despised the Dakota with a passion since the day after I bought it. I sent it away asap.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tpOmEcQcDNZaJcQkqyuQO2cFHn1axN1FUUCWynrsV5XkWU7qxK73Tagp9S75basB