Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
7/17/08 7:22 a.m.

So guys, when it rains it pours they say. In about two weeks time I could be on strike from work,but I am really not sure yet about that. Money is tight like eveyone,and I just got my stimulus check on Monday. Turns out the same day our TV takes a crap on us. Now can we live without a TV,probably,but not very likely considering I like the tube to relax in the evening,and my stay at home wife likes it as an escape when the kids are taking naps,and such. We are not watching much TV during the summer,but in the winter we do watch a lot of shows. The TV we have that is broken isn't the worlds fanciest,but we like it,and it suits our needs. It is a 5 year old 36" Sony Wega/Vega whatever you call it tube TV that weighs 7000lbs I think. We bought it with the house from the previous owners 3 years ago when we moved in with the stand,surround sound,DVD changer,VCR,etc. We have a 32" Sony Wega from our old house that we had stored in the basement for a kids play room that I have been slowly working on for the better part of 2 years,and now it is up in the living room sitting on the 36" stand looking funny,but suiting our needs for a TV now. The broken TV is at a repair facility,and the bill is going to be $400 to fix it on top of the $75 diagnosis fee I have already paid.

What do you think we should do? Fix the TV,buy a new flat panel TV,blow up all the TV's we own(currently just the working 32"),find a used TV that works. I don't want to spend the entire stimulus check on a TV,because we would be better served saving for a rainy day,using it in case we do strike,or putting it in our fuel oil tank for heat this winter. Is a 5 year old HD "ready" Sony worth putting $400 worth of repair into? Thanks for your help on this.

Chris

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/17/08 7:42 a.m.

Fix the tv if it doesn't cost a ton, because most of the money will go into local hands, actuly creating some economic stimulation. not enriching an already rich big box store and/or an over seas manufacturer.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
7/17/08 7:44 a.m.

Pay the $75 diagnosis fee and throw it away.

Keep watching the 32" and save for a rainy day.

That's my take on it. But, I have a 20" TV in a 36" entertainment center.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/17/08 7:52 a.m.

I agree with paying the $75, having them idspose of the tv, and watching the 32". Save the money for things that really matter. Since you know that a strike is likely in the near future, this could be the difference between a hard time and a really hard time.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/17/08 8:24 a.m.

if you think that 36" is heavy, you should come try to move my 40" thats still in the garage because the movers refused to even try to get it upstairs

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
7/17/08 9:38 a.m.

$400 is more than the 36" is worth. Watch the smaller TV until the strike is over, then upgrade if needed.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/17/08 9:46 a.m.

Pay the $75 and get a description of exactly what's wrong with it. Look online and see if you can order the parts cheap and try to fix it yourself. If that's over your head, put it on Craigslist for $75 and list exactly what's wrong with it. There's bound to be someone out there that has the skills, and would take it off your hands. Then look for a used one on Craigslist.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo New Reader
7/17/08 10:07 a.m.

I am trying to unload my 36" Toshiba for $200 and cant find anyone. Its a VERY nice TV too. I would not have even paid the $75 to have it fixed, keep rocking the 32" and save your pennies.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/17/08 10:16 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: if you think that 36" is heavy, you should come try to move my 40" thats still in the garage because the movers refused to even try to get it upstairs

I used to deliver, install and set-up these televisions. I MUCH preferred the 40" to the 36". Yes, it did weigh quite a bit more, but the weight was better balanced. Lifting the 36" involved all of the weight on the arm holding the front, and the rear arm there for balance. The 40" was much more evenly distributed between the front and rear arms. Think of a FWD car with the engine completely in front of the axle, V a well balanced mid engined car.

I know that when they were discontinued, Crutchfield had to almost give them away. I would have grabbed one, but I like my 43" LCD RP just fine, thank you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x4VXu5WERBMU1XacJh8ubKRzxQzq1VmsKmVauEUuyOBrNZJqpuIweEaM7jyBumNa