birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/18/21 4:12 p.m.

I have acquired more old AC compressors than I care to have and don't really know what to do with them.

One is out of a 2013 WRX and is really clean.

The other is from an '83(?) 280zx. This one might possibly  have the potential to equip my 240Z with AC, but that's more a Birdlady problem than anything.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/21 4:49 p.m.

I ended up scrapping all the ones I had when I moved to California.

I would think some remanufacturers will pay a small amount of money for good cores, but that's just conjecture.

Otherwise maybe call your local auto AC shop and see if they have any idea. I would guess they either send them somewhere or just scrap them.

No matter what you do, the amount of headache involved in getting AC working with old used compressors of unknown condition means that I wouldn't expect to use any of the ones you have without a rebuild.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/19/21 5:59 p.m.

On Youtube, you can turn a an A/C compressor into an working engine.  This might be interesting on a Minibike maybe.  Or maybe not.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/19/21 9:49 p.m.

I bought my last two new ones on RockAuto for under $300 each. This means old ones get tossed into the scrap metal bin. Not worth messing with.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/20/21 10:23 p.m.

Don't the off road guys turn them into onboard air compressors? Easy way to adjust your tire pressures at the track... 

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/21/21 12:43 a.m.
WillG80 said:

Don't the off road guys turn them into onboard air compressors? Easy way to adjust your tire pressures at the track... 

Not a bad idea. Want one?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/21 7:29 a.m.
WillG80 said:

Only specific ones, the most common are the old York compressors because they have a separate oil supply. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/21/21 12:24 p.m.

Scrap bin they go. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X5WIZLQyxuRO79wpfb9qvl5BDoXScrDxHRJDV6GMegkqe8KIVc3wAKnWWZcSCzln