BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
2/26/16 12:04 p.m.

We're registering at Amazon and I get to put a few tools on the list. I've always had access to my dad's stuff so I don't have much of a tool collection to call my own.

So what are the essential hand tools? I have a mental list but I figured I should ask the DIY experts. Drill, socket set, wrenches, screwdriver sets, breaker bar... What are the "good" brands these days in the non-professional world?

Hit me with your suggestions.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
2/26/16 12:40 p.m.

I like these micro rachets my Dad got me ~8 years ago http://www.amazon.com/Titan-11201-Drive-Gear-less-Ratchet/dp/B0009IQ1VA

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
2/26/16 12:40 p.m.

Can't go wrong with Craftsman IMO:

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-9-45408-Pliers-Set-6-Piece/dp/B007KHG38E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1456511095&sr=8-5&keywords=craftsman+plier+set

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Screwdriver-Phillips-Slotted-Made/dp/B006YVTAFU/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1456511173&sr=1-3&keywords=craftsman+screwdriver+set

Channel Lock seems to make a good wrench:

http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-8WCB-WideAzz-Adjustable-Opening-/dp/B001I70C34/ref=sr_1_17?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1456511243&sr=1-17&keywords=channel+lock

Knipex Plier Wrench:

http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603180-7-Inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B000X4KP1C/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1456511384&sr=1-1&keywords=knipex+plier+wrench

Channel Lock Tool Roll:

http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-Plier-Wrench-Set-8-Pc/dp/B005G2RTCE/ref=sr_1_22?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1456511885&sr=1-22-spons&keywords=channel+lock+tool+roll&psc=1

They are still good quality and going to be cheaper but Kobalt is decent:

http://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-Pliers-Wrench-Set-0464642/dp/B00KYAQA8M/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1456511977&sr=1-3&keywords=kobalt+plier+set

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/16 12:44 p.m.

If I were buying tools as a wedding gift I would focus on metal cutting ones that can handle leg shackles and chains.

I kid, I kid!

RedGT
RedGT Reader
2/26/16 1:08 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: What are the "good" brands these days in the non-professional world?

Amazon carries Tekton brand stuff, which has all been decent quality at a reasonable price in my experience. Made in Taiwan not China. Quality is at least on par with Craftsman these days if not better, while costing half.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
2/26/16 1:08 p.m.
logdog wrote: If I were buying tools as a wedding gift I would focus on metal cutting ones that can handle leg shackles and chains. I kid, I kid!

See, I know you're joking because you're the guy who got a trailer on valentines day and whose wife came with him to get an old BMW on their anniversary

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/26/16 1:21 p.m.

I highly recommend the avocado shaped guacamole bowls. They're useful for gathering dust in our buffet, so just imagine how much they could gather on the toolbench!

logdog
2/26/16 2:21 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote:
logdog wrote: If I were buying tools as a wedding gift I would focus on metal cutting ones that can handle leg shackles and chains. I kid, I kid!
See, I know you're joking because you're the guy who got a trailer on valentines day and whose wife came with him to get an old BMW on their anniversary

I forgot we bought Elsa on our anniversary. I remember now that the trip cost me a dinner at the Black Rock. I got it pretty good.

As far as tools go, I have been pretty happy with the Gearwrench branded ratchets and sockets I have picked up and they are reasonably priced.

Personally, I use a lot of 1/4 drive stuff. For most general repairs its my go-to. I would find a nice set of metric shallow, deep and universal sockets with an assortment of extensions (and a few wobble extensions).

logdog
2/26/16 2:21 p.m.
mtn wrote: I highly recommend the avocado shaped guacamole bowls. They're useful for gathering dust in our buffet, so just imagine how much they could gather on the toolbench!

Perfect for sorting nuts, bolts and holding beernuts.

Dave
Dave Reader
2/26/16 2:34 p.m.

It never occurred to me that one could add tools to a wedding registry. I always assumed it was the exclusive domain of girly stuff like fancy plates.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/26/16 4:58 p.m.

Everything Knipex makes.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/26/16 5:38 p.m.

a nice compound miter saw. A good sawzall.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
2/27/16 1:41 a.m.

Go for it We gave one of my buddies a floor jack and a HF welder as wedding gifts. the groom deserves a few treats. Also Knipex pliers really are all that and a bag of chips.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
2/27/16 5:51 a.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote:

Also, I hear she can sell rings around him in craigslist!!

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
2/27/16 8:19 a.m.

A buddy and I bought a quality Baldor powered buffer for a friend that got married. His new wife bitched about the fact that we gave something that was just for him.

He no longer has the wife, but he still has the buffer.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/27/16 11:40 a.m.

My wife's best friend looked at our registry and decided there was nothing on it for me, so got me a set of beer glasses (wife only drinks wine or beer from the can). I like my wife's friends.

In reality I didn't put anything on the registry because I couldn't find anything at Macy's or target or bed bath and beyond that wasn't fairly junky. Oh, and it took 3 months for my wife to apologize for both being mad at me for not putting anything on it and for her registering for so much. That was her revelation. Thankfully we took most of it back

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/27/16 11:44 a.m.
Dave wrote: It never occurred to me that one could add tools to a wedding registry. I always assumed it was the exclusive domain of girly stuff like fancy plates.

My wedding registry was fulk of nerf guns, video games, and crayons.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
2/27/16 12:31 p.m.

power probe

The0retical
The0retical Dork
2/27/16 12:39 p.m.

SK Tools X frame ratcheting wrenches are supposedly really good, but I haven't been able to find them in stock anywhere.

Knipex anything.

Socket set wise I received a set of Channellock branded ones from my parents when I was 16. That was 15 years ago. I haven't had an issue with them yet and they work with me daily in a professional environment.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
2/27/16 8:51 p.m.

Plasma cutter!

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
2/28/16 12:38 p.m.

Thanks everyone, helpful as always!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/3/17 5:09 a.m.

Zombie thread. Spammer deleted.

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun Reader
10/3/17 7:23 a.m.
BlueInGreen44 said:

Thanks everyone, helpful as always!

Since it was dug out of the depths,  Wadja get anyway?  And what are you using them on?cheeky

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wNaBsKYzpXxy0j6TghdsCVkbrSin38wSlx1tlUoJph5ooSqeFcYakHNVnXuzZFLN