1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/27/20 11:50 a.m.

A marina on the lake sold 5.7 million dollars of boats in  one 3 day weekend.  No particular sale,  and that doesn't count the other  20? marina's on the lake. 
       Went by a launch ramp  and the line up to launch a boat was a mile long. Already every single parking space had a truck and a trailer filling it ( maybe 75-100 )  

That was just one ramp there are maybe 10 more on this lake.  Plus several of the marina's have launching ramps for their customer's use. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/20 11:55 a.m.

Its something you can do to get out of the house and semi-socialize without getting yelled at?

Dunno what's going on with the marina sales

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/27/20 12:00 p.m.

its getting close to 4th of july and youre near lake minnetonka if Im not mistaken. Lots of money, lots of lake. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/27/20 12:57 p.m.

Camper and rv sales are through the roof

bikes are gone from stores. 

Campgrounds sold out. Vrbo sold out. Airbnb slim.  

It's just the way it is with the stay at home stuff going on. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/20 1:51 p.m.

Because grandpas everywhere decided their grandkids needed a boat

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/20 2:05 p.m.

I was just picking up parts from the marina yesterday and asked to look at the used inventory.  They had (not kidding) one used inflatable boat.  Not like some cool Zodiac inflatable with a 15-horse Merc on it... one of those old-school rubber inflatables with the plastic telescopic paddles.  They normally have 30-40 used boats in inventory.

If I had a spare boat right now, I would sell my Ebbtide.  I could probably get top dollar for it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/27/20 2:07 p.m.

Our local public ramp was pretty busy last couple of times I used it.  Just got back from a couple days on Lake Chesdin.  Good fun.  Burned up 12 gallons of fuel pulling teenagers around.  It's something you can duhan during the Wuhan.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/27/20 3:14 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Yeah, we've been looking for Kayaks. There is nothing available we want under about $1300 each.

Or tandems.

It's crazy.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/27/20 3:49 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Yeah, we've been looking for Kayaks. There is nothing available we want under about $1300 each.

Or tandems.

It's crazy.

All the hobbies are just...gone. I can't get bike parts, none of the shops I frequent have any completes, all the RC car stuff is GONE, gaming is absolutely blown apart- consoles are selling on the secondary market like it was christmas. It's a really weird time. 

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/20 3:51 p.m.

On the flip side, in a year or two all of this stuff will be for sale used at giveaway prices. devil

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/27/20 4:40 p.m.

Speaking of boats, I just came back from jetskiing and I saw a Cigarette boat with quad 300 HP engines. I was marveling at how much fuel that thing could suck down at WOT, then I saw a boat right behind it with triple 375's. I didn't even realize they had 375 HP outboards. Apparently Yamaha makes them and they are a direct injected 32V 5.6L V-6. I don't want to even know how much one of the outboards costs (300 HP or 375 HP), but I know it is way more than I paid for my jetski.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
6/27/20 7:01 p.m.
Mndsm said:

its getting close to 4th of july and youre near lake minnetonka if Im not mistaken. Lots of money, lots of lake. 

Yes I live on Lake Minnetonka.   Yes it's a big lake it's a weekends cruise to go around all the shoreline. Something like 5 million gallons of water. 
Money?   Yeh, all the states movers and shakers have a place here.  

But the people buying those boats don't live here.  A glance around the bay shows boats at every dock. The same ones they've owned for a long time. 

The boats in the bay are likely trailer based boats. People waiting in long lines to launch and recover their boat. Get out on the lake and have to go to the bathroom, oops!   

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/27/20 7:24 p.m.
frenchyd said:

The boats in the bay are likely trailer based boats. People waiting in long lines to launch and recover their boat. Get out on the lake and have to go to the bathroom, oops!   

I'm pretty sure that under Maritime Law, as soon as your boat leaves the dock, you have the privilege of unreeling your firehose and relieving excess pressure.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/27/20 7:58 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Mndsm said:

Yes I live on Lake Minnetonka.   Yes it's a big lake it's a weekends cruise to go around all the shoreline. Something like 5 million gallons of water. 

Probably a bunch more than that :)

I just looked up the lake where my mom lives (not that big).  Its 2.8km^3, which is 739 billion gallons  surprise.

edit, wow:

Annual evaporation from the Lake Minnetonka is about 30 inches (76.2 cm), or 11.5 billion US gallons (44,000,000 m3)

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
6/27/20 9:05 p.m.

Anything that a family can get out of the house and away to right now is hot whether RVs, pools , high end patios, boats, etc.     Pool guys and landscapers are out straight in my area. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/27/20 10:05 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
frenchyd said:

I'm pretty sure that under Maritime Law, as soon as your boat leaves the dock, you have the privilege of unreeling your firehose and relieving excess pressure.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/health-officials-call-lake-minnetonka-illnesses-an-outbreak/89-5e26d4a0-1942-432e-b98f-1f35dd3f99bc

yeah... just be sure to not drink the poo water.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/27/20 10:55 p.m.

I knew about the run on bicycles. Didn't know about boats. I don't have one to sell, but I've started clearing out my fishing tackle on eBay. I've been accumulating gear for over 40 years.

Hopefully it's a seller's market.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/20 11:05 p.m.

I can believe it. My local after work road loop is along the Delaware River and near two municipal boat ramps (my longer loop passes a couple more). On nice afternoons, they're pretty busy. On weekends, the trailer lots are packed.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/20 12:48 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:
1988RedT2 said:
frenchyd said:

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/health-officials-call-lake-minnetonka-illnesses-an-outbreak/89-5e26d4a0-1942-432e-b98f-1f35dd3f99bc

by maritime law, you cannot flush directly overboard until over 2 miles at sea.  Unzipping your fly and letting it rip, that is a much different story. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/20 2:42 a.m.

I listed an old dirt bike today at noon on FB marketplace and by four when it sold I had over thirty messages. The first guy to respond bought it. He didn't even look at it, just handed me the cash, and I asked what I paid five years ago so it was not a screaming deal.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/28/20 6:57 a.m.

Another perk is the countless hours of entertainment that sitting beside a boat launch provides.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/28/20 11:07 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:
1988RedT2 said:
frenchyd said:

by maritime law, you cannot flush directly overboard until over 2 miles at sea.  Unzipping your fly and letting it rip, that is a much different story. 

Agree.  Number 1 off the deck is just fine.  Number 2?  No.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/20 1:50 p.m.

I have done #2 over the side,  but it was an extreme emergency.  

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
6/28/20 3:27 p.m.

I put my road bike for sale on CL last month and it sold within a couple days. 20-30 emails in no time and a person offered to drive down here (upstate NY to PA near Philly) for it.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
6/28/20 4:59 p.m.

Motorcycles selling like crazy here from what I've heard.   

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2EyUe8drmsfnOYpQnIxPE5dSP2qR06Af5dNTV41Ei8nSnEErd5oQxXnGmYyvdAfM