1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/16 9:38 a.m.

I don't think Mustangs are any more spin-prone than anything else. I just think they are by far the most popular high-powered RWD car on the road, so obviously there are going to be more of them involved in idiocy than any other car. It's just math.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/14/16 10:09 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I don't think Mustangs are any more spin-prone than anything else. I just think they are by far the most popular high-powered RWD car on the road, so obviously there are going to be more of them involved in idiocy than any other car. It's just math.

S2000's have a reputation for being spin-prone. Sure enough, I have seen lots of S2000's and 2nd Gen MR2's spin at track days.

But it's no more spin happy than my MCoupe was. Although the rear geometry on the S2000 was improved going into the 2nd iteration, the first is still far superior to the semi-trailing arms of the E30, ti, Z3, and MCoupe. Yet none of those BMW's has a reputation for being spin-happy like the S2000.

The difference is probably that the people buying an S2000 are more likely to be ricer, tuner, Japanese compact fans, and are not yet used to the handling dynamics of RWD, and are choosing something moderately high performance as their first foray into that. The BMW guy has very likely had experience driving lower performance RWD Euro cars before.

That Mustang Guy is probably used to driving FWD sedans, or maybe pickup trucks.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
4/14/16 10:14 a.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote:
crankwalk wrote: The snap oversteer in the opposite direction on these Mustang videos leaving a car show is crazy. Mustang owners: Buy a Cobra with IRS. The life you save could be your own.
I've been full opposite lock many, many times in various solid rear axle vehicles. I don't think the solid rear axle is the problem. Honestly, I always thought (having never driven one so I can't say for sure) that the biggest reason the Mustang isn't very forgiving is the short wheelbase. Combine that with lots of power and lack of talent and you get this. It's certainly not limited to Mustangs, it's just a lot of fun to make fun of mustang guy.

I was the same way in hte C4, full opposite lock tail out. IT was an IRS. Has nuttin' to do with the car and everything to do with the talent.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/16 10:30 a.m.

Looking at the videos, I am not seeing much steering input during the fishtails, and what little I am seeing is coming way too late.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/14/16 11:45 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Seems to be something in the coffee

I shared this one to the Facebook Event page for our first event this weekend. It is causing much hilarity. Including my uncle, with a 2014 Mustang

Tom_Spangler
4/14/16 12:05 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: The difference is probably that the people buying an S2000 are more likely to be ricer, tuner, Japanese compact fans, and are not yet used to the handling dynamics of RWD, and are choosing something moderately high performance as their first foray into that. The BMW guy has very likely had experience driving lower performance RWD Euro cars before. That Mustang Guy is probably used to driving FWD sedans, or maybe pickup trucks.

There may be some truth to your generalizations, but I still think it's a matter of numbers. OK, so the S2000 is spin-prone, but you don't see memes about it. Maybe that's because Honda sold a grand total of 66,000 of them in the US during the car's entire model run. That's the same number as Ford sold Mustangs in 2009 alone, which was the Mustang's worst sales year ever. As for BMWs, the E30 is by far the highest-selling of the three you mentioned, and in it's best year they sold 61,000 of them.

My point being that the reason for this phenomena is the sheer number of Mustangs on the road, more than anything else.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/16 1:07 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Looking at the videos, I am not seeing much steering input during the fishtails, and what little I am seeing is coming way too late.

That is what I mean by lack of driving ability... not recognizing the need to do something with that steering wheel, or not doing enough with it. And then, absolute worst, letting off the throttle while sideways, which WILL require a rapid and immediate steering correction WHEN the rear end grabs.

I am not going to suggest that I have any kind of superior driving skillz. But if you watch this treatise on driving a short wheelbase car, you'll notice: I don't lift when sideways. Ever. And I CATCH THE CAR when it snaps back, because I manage to get sufficient steering input in time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeqwJMKIFYs

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/16 1:37 p.m.

I have to say that I agree with Knurled. I have most of my "drifting" experience on the dirt fireroads that criss cross the forests of South Jersey.. if you are intune with the car, you can feel when the rear starts to go and the car really wants to already start correcting for you. If the rear steps out to the right.. the front wheels want to stay straight to the direction you were going.. so they will "turn" to the right also.. and vice versa.

It is the ham fisted drivers who can't feel what the car is doing or are doing a redline clutch drop where the rear wheel's simply overpower the grip of the fronts that brings us to the whole "mustangs hitting things"

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
4/14/16 1:54 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: There may be some truth to your generalizations, but I still think it's a matter of numbers. OK, so the S2000 is spin-prone, but you don't see memes about it. Maybe that's because Honda sold a grand total of 66,000 of them in the US during the car's entire model run. That's the same number as Ford sold Mustangs in 2009 alone, which was the Mustang's worst sales year ever. As for BMWs, the E30 is by far the highest-selling of the three you mentioned, and in it's best year they sold 61,000 of them. My point being that the reason for this phenomena is the sheer number of Mustangs on the road, more than anything else.

Your sound reasoning and backing with real numbers have no place on the Internet!

For what it's worth, I agree 100%.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
4/14/16 2:35 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: It is the ham fisted drivers who can't feel what the car is doing or are doing a redline clutch drop where the rear wheel's simply overpower the grip of the fronts that brings us to the whole "mustangs hitting things"

I'd say, ham-fistedness aside, that poor decision making is at the root of "Mustangs hitting things." It's just generally not a good idea to get drifty on public roads where there are things to hit in the first place

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
4/14/16 6:33 p.m.

Found this. They even get their own crash site: http://www.stangwrecks.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/16 6:40 p.m.

and it's full of spam!

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
4/14/16 7:20 p.m.

I have a Mustang,yet I am enjoying this thread. But then I had Miatas for about 8 years before now so I guess I don't worry much about a cars stereotype

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
4/14/16 7:36 p.m.

I live in a house that was delivered on wheels, have a mullet, drive and El Camino, grew up a mopar guy, but don't have a neck tattoo. Mostly because I don't have much of a neck (and I think that neck and face tattoo is berkeleying stupid. It's condemning yourself to burger flipping for life ).

I'm enjoying this thread immensely, as it's making fun of all the stereotypes I fit.

I've never owned a mustang or camaro though.

Tom_Spangler
4/14/16 7:58 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I live in a house that was delivered on wheels, have a mullet, drive and El Camino, grew up a mopar guy, but don't have a neck tattoo. Mostly because I don't have much of a neck (and I think that neck and face tattoo is berkeleying stupid. It's condemning yourself to burger flipping for life ). I'm enjoying this thread immensely, as it's making fun of all the stereotypes I fit. I've never owned a mustang or camaro though.

Don't worry. An El Camino counts as five Camaros.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/14/16 8:29 p.m.

El Camino is what Camaro owners aspire to be.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
4/14/16 8:33 p.m.

There is entirely too much civil discussion and good natured banter in here. This might be the only place on the internet that a thread poking fun at Mustangs and their drivers doesn't degenerate into cuss words and crass insults.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/16 9:06 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: There is entirely too much civil discussion and good natured banter in here. This might be the only place on the internet that a thread poking fun at Mustangs and their drivers doesn't degenerate into cuss words and crass insults.

Harrumph! I shall insinuate rumour regarding the loose morals of your parentage posthaste!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
4/14/16 9:47 p.m.

I own Camaros, and have burnt many sets of tires off, on all 4 wheels, thank you very much. I've never hit a parked car or a building, so I can only assume that Camaro drivers are superior to Mustang drivers.

If I had any hair left, I'd gladly rock a mullet.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
4/15/16 7:13 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
BlueInGreen44 wrote: There is entirely too much civil discussion and good natured banter in here. This might be the only place on the internet that a thread poking fun at Mustangs and their drivers doesn't degenerate into cuss words and crass insults.
Harrumph! I shall insinuate rumour regarding the loose morals of your parentage posthaste!

And your father smelled of elderberries !!

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/16 11:05 a.m.

Is anyone else seriously tired of the generalization and finger pointing going on?

Honestly, instead of educating and helping these people learn from their mistakes, everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon, grabbing their pitch forks, lighting their torches and heading towards the castle.

I just feel that this sort of behavior is part of what is so completely wrong with the car enthusiast world in general.

or maybe its just me.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/15/16 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Stefan (Not Bruce):

Why do you hate America?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
4/15/16 11:13 a.m.

because my brain isn't encephalitic due to virus infected mosquitoes?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/15/16 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

I smell a terrorist.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
4/15/16 11:18 a.m.

sigh, ok. I'm on my own then. berkeley I hate car people sometimes.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G4AYJEXrAyK2W9WrjxKBod8nWOXIzEM351wUHM2QpzXiSI72krcbd6KmmB4CDhkR