1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/19/09 11:51 a.m.

resurection time, but could a well built Neon coupe cut it as a GT car? I'm thinking a nicly tuned 2.4, a spec b tranny, and some nice seats that can deliver about an extra 1-2" of leg room.

Will
Will Reader
9/19/09 12:31 p.m.

I'm not sure I buy any FWD as a grand tourer, but certainly not something as small as Neon.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
9/19/09 8:17 p.m.

^ I want to rebut that FWD statement, but I can't think of a FWD that I can call a GT with a straight face.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
9/19/09 10:16 p.m.

Mustang GT.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
9/19/09 10:19 p.m.
billy3esq wrote: ^ I want to rebut that FWD statement, but I can't think of a FWD that I can call a GT with a straight face.

Citroen SM (although that kinda kills the "Grassroots" part)? Or a big-azzed VW I'm familiar with?

And I think the Neon's a little too small. As are the old FWD Chargers. But I still think someone could do a good job with with an old Daytona. Think purpose, not glitz..

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
9/19/09 11:23 p.m.

Would a mk1 Calloway Scirocco qualify?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130330961627&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
9/20/09 2:49 a.m.
billy3esq wrote: ^ I want to rebut that FWD statement, but I can't think of a FWD that I can call a GT with a straight face.

Tornado! My pics Audi S4, BMW E46 M3. 85 T-Bird Super coupe black/black all.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
9/20/09 8:04 a.m.

Corrado is a good answer to the FWD GT.

Scirocco and Daytona are both close, but I think of them as Sport Coupes, not GTs. If you're going to count them, the late 90s/early 00s Mercury Cougar would also fit. Maybe even the Ford Probe.

The Toronado is a bit too land-barge-ish to be a GT. A GT doesn't have to have sports car handling, but it has to have something.

A Prelude is another good answer to the FWD GT. A 1st Gen TT Coupe is also a possibility.

lewbud
lewbud New Reader
9/20/09 8:36 a.m.

I'd chose my dd 03 Mustang GT. I'd also give the nod to the Lincoln LS with the V8. Unfortunately, I don't think they ever paired the V8 with a manual.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/20/09 10:18 a.m.

Here is ours. It doesn't fit the traditional definition of GT by a long shot, but 30+ mpg, a very torquey 170hp, and silky smooth on the highway. Plus, now that diesel is getting cheaper again, its a double bonus.

Used to have this... again not a GT exactly, but that's how we used it:

ProjectVIN
ProjectVIN New Reader
9/20/09 12:01 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: resurection time, but could a well built Neon coupe cut it as a GT car? I'm thinking a nicly tuned 2.4, a spec b tranny, and some nice seats that can deliver about an extra 1-2" of leg room.

I can attest to the turbo 2.4 being a great long-distance runner.

The truest GT experience I ever had though was driving my fathers' luxo-optioned '98 Z28 from Watkins Glen to Northern VA. With the leather seats and power everything the miles melted away, the solid rear axle well hidden behind the automatic transmission. I miss that car!

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
9/20/09 12:46 p.m.

Another great grassroots FWD GT that I thought of after my post above is the Acura CL, especially the Type S.

Jay
Jay Dork
9/20/09 12:58 p.m.

FWD GT... V.

You guys can't get 'em over there but I'd say this fits pretty well. So does the Fiat Coupe.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
9/20/09 1:06 p.m.

I figured Alfa would have something, but, you're right, they don't come here.

BTW, the Porsche 944 called. It wants its wheels back.

Will
Will Reader
9/20/09 3:47 p.m.
4eyes wrote:

The Supercoupe was made from 89-97. Perhaps you mean an 85 Turbo Coupe, or a 95 Supercoupe?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/20/09 5:30 p.m.
Will wrote:
4eyes wrote:
The Supercoupe was made from 89-97. Perhaps you mean an 85 Turbo Coupe, or a 95 Supercoupe?

If its a Turbo Coupe, the one to have was the 87.

Will
Will Reader
9/20/09 6:42 p.m.
mtn wrote: If its a Turbo Coupe, the one to have was the 87.

Agreed, the 87-88 had more power and looked better. It was 87 Motor Trend Car of the Year, for what that's worth. I have an 88 TC unibody in storage that I keep saying I'm going to start working on one of these days...

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
9/20/09 7:35 p.m.

Agreed Turbo Coupe, my bad

mtn
mtn SuperDork
9/20/09 10:08 p.m.
Will wrote:
Agreed, the 87-88 had more power and looked better. It was 87 Motor Trend Car of the Year, for what that's worth. I have an 88 TC unibody in storage that I keep saying I'm going to start working on one of these days...

I was brought home in an 87 Turbo Bird.

By the way, have you heard? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
9/20/09 10:10 p.m.

My immediate thought was a Supra MK III. I really considered one in high school. Came pretty close to ending up with one as a project car, more than a few times.

ProjectVIN
ProjectVIN New Reader
9/20/09 11:28 p.m.
mtn wrote: I was brought home in an 87 Turbo Bird. By the way, have you heard? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
9/21/09 1:23 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Will wrote:
I was brought home in an 87 Turbo Bird. By the way, have you heard? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

Heard it the first time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThquH5t0ow

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
9/21/09 1:57 a.m.

Lotza good stuff here...but I'm still bending towards the size of the car making a difference. I hate to admit it, but a larger one is more comfortable than a smaller one on a long range high-speed Interstate/Autobahn/Autostrada trip.
The Corrado's bigger than a Scirocco, The Daytona's bigger than a Neon, and Camaros, Mustangs and 80s-90s Thunderbirds are larger than Cobalts, Focuses (Focii?) etc.

curtis73, that's a sedan, dude. You could put three kids in the back and their luggage in the trunk. It's a great sedan, but not a GT. Think SEC instead of SEL. I have to admit..I really don't know much about Mercs. Do diesel SECs exist? That would be cool!

ProjectVIN's on the right track..as is billy3. I'd forgotten all about the CL until he mentioned it. I'll bet a lot of go-fast Honda parts would just bolt right on to it.

And y'all talking about the last couple of real Ford T-Birds are right on the mark! The T-Coupe & S-Coupe were both more of a GT than the Camaro/Firebird/Mustang, since they were a little more of an "upmarket" car with "swank" seats, power cupholders, heated headliners, etc..

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/21/09 7:29 a.m.

Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe, Firebird (not T/A). Both would require some mods to be ideal, but a nice packag no doubt. I had an '87 Firebird that would cruise at 80 mph turning only 2000rpm. Smooth, quiet, and 27mpg w/ the V8! (ok, 17mpg in town) window sticker claimed 17/24. 305 w/carb 4-speed auto and 2.73 gears. Not a drag racer for sure.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/21/09 10:25 a.m.

Not FWD and only Grassroots if you consider what it cost new but I have always wanted one of these. ( teenager in the 80's)

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Jm4QBX7APiiX9s0ranXLn3tNLSulw0K8OhJC9pOl1jZhF3qz1VqQXHI8V99lyOCW