1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 ... 228
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/29/20 1:43 p.m.

Looks like Minneapolis ended lockdown early.  Not seeing a lot of social distancing though.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/29/20 1:44 p.m.
Tactical Penguin said:
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

I am, however riled by people being riled that I generally choose to not wear one. 

These questions, to you, are out of curiosity - why are you generally choosing not to wear one? What does that mean? Are you wearing one when you're within six feet of other people? I care about you wearing one because I care about you, Paul. Our six degrees of separation are probably far enough away that there is no chance of a potential infection from either of us reaching the other (Bobzilla, different story for you on that six degrees, probably, as you live probably about 5 miles from 6 of my relatives). I don't want you or yours to get sick, I don't want the board to lose you as a resource, and I believe that even though it is a very low risk, it is a very real one as well. 

To me, this is a plan for the worst, hope for the best. Wearing a mask is simple. Easy. Effective, in varying degrees, but effective nonetheless. Kinda like a seatbelt.

Not insinuating anyone is or isn't wearing a mask here. I just hope, wish you are. 

Pretty sure I explained that on the previous page. 

I don't wear one primarily because I am almost never within 6 feet of anyone, and that's pretty easy for me to control. My work is physical, and it's difficult to work with them. 

And the CDC doesn't recommend them.

I wear them when I'm closer proximity to people, but I know the limitations of N-95s, and do not use them for filtration (except for my work, as they are designed)

That's news to the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others

• You could spread COVID-19 to others even if you do not feel sick.
  • Everyone should wear a cloth face cover when they have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store or to pick up other necessities.
    • Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
  • The cloth face cover is meant to protect other people in case you are infected.
  • Do NOT use a facemask meant for a healthcare worker.
  • Continue to keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. The cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.

Now you're arguing.

The CDC has many pages.  The one you quoted is incomplete.  Sometimes they contradict a little.  Please also note the parts of your post I highlighted.  I am 100% in keeping with the CDC's recommendations.

This is their official reccomendations regarding face coverings.  I took that info DIRECTLY from their page.  I'm sorry if it doesn't fit your narrative.  Please don't call me a liar.  It doesn't help us have a productive conversation. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings, Especially in Areas of Significant Community-Based Transmission

mask icon

Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19

Learn More

CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States.  We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms.  This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.  In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

It is critical to emphasize that maintaining 6-feet social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus.  CDC is additionally advising the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.  Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

The cloth face coverings recommended are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators.  Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
5/29/20 2:07 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Providing proof that what you posted is incorrect is not calling you a liar or being argumentative,  it's just posting CDC's recommendations.  Your CDC link also makes the same assertion that people should wear cloth face coverings to protect others.

I'm sorry you don't feel that posting facts instead of feelings is productive.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/29/20 2:11 p.m.

To me it looks like you guys are agreeing but arguing about it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/29/20 2:27 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

OK, this has been a hard one for me to put into written words. There's a lot of things that drive what I do and its never a simple explanation. The simplest explanation I can offer is I'm a stubborn shiny happy person. period. Full stop.

The longer explanation: I flew into Atlanta the last sunday of Feb for an international conference/tradeshow with people and vendors from around the globe. I came home from that and was sicker than I have ever been in my life. I ran a fever for 3 days, the last day felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest and my whole body hurt like I'd been hit by a truck. It all started with a throat so sore I couldn't talk.... and that hurts worse than the physical pain. This thing lingered on for almost 2 weeks. The first week was "hit by a truck and drug down the street" the second week I was just weak. Get up, shower, go to work, sleep for an hour at lunch, finish the day come home and crawl into bed. Normal flu for me is a week of stuffy head, leading to lots of coughing up liquid nastiness that glows colors. This didn't. Now we were being told at the time that it wasn't C19 and it wasnt here yadda yadda yadda. Never thought twice about it. Now... well, I'm waiting for affordable/available/accurate antibodies testing to confirm what I think we all know.

Secondly life is a series of risk mitigation. Nothing, noone and no time is ever "safe". There is always risk. I don't go to nursing homes. I don't see old people. I hate being crowded so that 6' thing is great for me. I live rural so I don't interact with neighbors etc. I've gone to work every day (minus a week because normal flu symptons were scaring everyone E36 M3less) and been around people every day without masks for weeks. Its the same people daily. I've not seen enough evidence that if I have not had it I'm at risk. 

Lastly, I don't like people telling me what to do. I'm a grown ass adult and I make my own decisions. I don't get into your space, you stay out of mine. I've given up hugging friends for now. That's hard as E36 M3. I've hugged exactly 4 people in the last 3 months. My wife, my coworker who just bought a car and my parents. I want to hug all my friends right now... so hard their heads pop off. But I don't because I'm respecting that they may not have what I have etc. 

So no, I don't wear a mask in public. I keep my distance, I don't go into crowded stores (mostly because there aren't any here that I frequent) and I don't go see my friends. I have been safe, I'm done stop telling me what to do.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Tactical Penguin :

What do you see that I said incorrect?

My statement was I am rarely near others, and that the CDC does not have a recommendation that I wear a mask or face covering except when I am. I also said I do when I am.

Whats up?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/29/20 2:28 p.m.
Cotton said:

Looks like Minneapolis ended lockdown early.  Not seeing a lot of social distancing though.

dayum..... too soon?

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/29/20 2:33 p.m.

Again, maybe I miss to much through text, but I read “that’s news to the cdc” as being somewhat condescending. That’s trying to start a argument. May not have been what you intended...

Most people are calling everything masks. This confuses the general public, and spreads misinformation. The cdc is recomending not to wear masks. They are recommending wearing “sneeze guards” (ie face coverings) if you have to be within 6 feet. Any least that’s my interpretation of the words presented. 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
5/29/20 2:50 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

Not meant to be insulting.

- they made a hypothesis, and proved it in a controlled environment. 

I don’t have a background in scientific writing... you do very well at it. You are correct; my comment is (I believe) accurate, but not relevant enough. Sorry. 

I did not read the study, but based on your wording of it, I don’t believe it reflects real world conditions, or has a large enough cross sample... if I’m using the correct words

you are always very precise with your words, so I could only assume you beginning a reply with getto talk was an attemp at humor, or an attempt to be condescending? Not sure I understand. 

Tactical Penguin
5/29/20 3:26 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

We're both talking past each other, and I'll be more specific in the future when referring to N95 masks vs. cloth face coverings.

I'm just tired of having this conversation several times a week with people asking, "Why should I wear a cloth face covering if it doesn't help me?"

I've lost a few people to this thing, so I just want to do whatever I can to minimize exposure to others.  If you're doing the same, great.  I'm all about live and let live, but if folks don't know if they've been infected or have antibodies, then the face covering is the bare minimum we can all do to protect each other as best we can as we try to get back to something resembling normal.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 3:38 p.m.

OK.

But the CDC does not recommend cloth face coverings either, except when in close proximity.  I'm not saying its a bad idea, only that the CDC has not made that recommendation.  They HAVE said don't wear N-95s or surgical masks (and more than half the people I see are wearing them).

I keep my distance.  That's what I am supposed to do.  No one has gotten COVID from me.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/29/20 4:49 p.m.
Cotton said:

They're gonna go right the berkeley back on it, but for reasons best not discussed here. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/29/20 4:58 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Cotton said:

They're gonna go right the berkeley back on it, but for reasons best not discussed here. 

I thought about you today because I got my rollback stuck again. This time I hit the easy button and pulled it out with the Halo truck.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/29/20 6:27 p.m.
Cotton said:
Mndsm said:
Cotton said:

I thought about you today because I got my rollback stuck again. This time I hit the easy button and pulled it out with the Halo truck.

Yaaaaaas!

Tactical Penguin
5/29/20 7:07 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) 

The CDC site literally says EVERYBODY SHOULD when around others.  Which I would take as a recommendation.  Being pedantic isn't productive either.

And unless you've been tested for antibodies, you have no idea if you've possibly infected someone else if you're an asymptomatic carrier.  

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 7:25 p.m.

Correct.  And I'm not around others. 

<End>

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/29/20 9:00 p.m.
SVreX had written:

But the CDC does not recommend cloth face coverings either, except when in close proximity.

Tactical Penguin said:

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) 

The CDC site literally says EVERYBODY SHOULD when around others.  Which I would take as a recommendation.  Being pedantic isn't productive either.

And unless you've been tested for antibodies, you have no idea if you've possibly infected someone else if you're an asymptomatic carrier.  

Where does it say that everyone should wear face coverings when they are not around other people? I read that differently.

As per websters:

Pedantic is an insulting word used to describe someone who annoys others by correcting small errors, caring too much about minor details, or emphasizing their own expertise especially in some narrow or boring subject matter.

If people are going to argue (and yes, using insulting words IS being argumentative) then accuracy in words used is important. He originally said cdc does not recommend MASKS... and you attempted to correct him even though you misunderstood him; ie the difference in a mask, and the sneeze guards that are recommended... if you might be exposing other people.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/29/20 10:08 p.m.

Leave the poor horse corpse alone

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
5/29/20 10:13 p.m.

I haven't read all 191 pages, which poster is actually an infectious disease researcher? 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/29/20 10:16 p.m.

Pots and Kettles, and dead horses...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/29/20 10:27 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

I haven't read all 191 pages, which poster is actually an infectious disease researcher? 

Mtn has an inside source or something. 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
5/29/20 10:50 p.m.

Mtn does a very good job of presenting data he has access to that most of us do not.  Several others have presented scientific data that is better than the "I heard." I don't have to agree with all the conclusions extrapolated, but it is better info than the news!

But I think Steve was making a point, more than asking a question?

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/29/20 11:20 p.m.
IMndsm said:
Steve_Jones said:

Mtn has an inside source or something. 

I’ve shared everything I’ve found and read that I thought was worthwhile in the covid updates thread, or else linked to it here with I believe only 2 exceptions - the hamster study, which I could no longer find the actual study and only reporting on, and the shop towel as a filter for your mask, for basically the same reason. 

I would not call it an inside source, if I’m allowed to be nitpicky with that definition. Everything can be found online with a little bit of digging. My first search is usually on Becker’s hospital review, as it is generally written in English or close to it, and will be very reliable. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/30/20 6:36 a.m.
Cotton said:

This comment didn't age well

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/30/20 10:41 a.m.

I typically avoid posting media websites, but liked this recent article from ABC: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/tracking-happening-states-reopen/story?id=70961608

some good news and some worrying news in that, read it as you will. My opinion is that you need to have a 2 week delay before drawing conclusions, which we do not have for most of these states. 

For me, I’m happy to see that Indiana is not on any of the increasing numbers, although I don’t know if they’re reporting hospitalizations. Will have to ask my uncle who is a (retired) doctor in Carmel/Zionsville (where he is still involved with his physicians group on a small level, despite being retired). 

1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 ... 228

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
yN2cJZdU0V4kWykj6zi7a4amQXUWK7Muc1JG80F185zEel1CEgNGOGD4Xb0vH21s