1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 228
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/30/20 9:49 a.m.
STM317
STM317 UberDork
7/30/20 9:59 a.m.

It's worth noting that other respiratory illnesses, such as pneumonia can result in cardiovascular, neurological and respiratory damage as well. Those things may be more or less likely to occur with other viruses, but it's not entirely unique to COVID to encounter such side effects after a bout with a respiratory illness.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/30/20 10:00 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Just do whatever you feel is right for you, but at the same time don't be selfish and see the world beyond the tip of your nose and realize the damage you can do if you're irresponsible.  Also, you may not give a berkeley if you die, but I guarantee there are people out there who do.  

I wish I could give the multiple thumbs up.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/30/20 10:02 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Just do whatever you feel is right for you, but at the same time don't be selfish and see the world beyond the tip of your nose and realize the damage you can do if you're irresponsible.  Also, you may not give a berkeley if you die, but I guarantee there are people out there who do.  

I wish I could give the multiple thumbs up.

Quoted for more reading goodness. Well said Patrick. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 10:14 a.m.
STM317 said:

It's worth noting that other respiratory illnesses, such as pneumonia can result in cardiovascular, neurological and respiratory damage as well. Those things may be more or less likely to occur with other viruses, but it's not entirely unique to COVID to encounter such side effects after a bout with a respiratory illness.

Also worth noting that Pneumonia is not a specific disease. It is more of a symptom in the sense that it is caused by various bacteria, viruses (including Covid), probably other stuff as well (fungi?). Your likelihood of getting it is also increased by simply being on a ventilator. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
7/30/20 10:18 a.m.

Just read that Herman Cain has passed away from the virus. 

People will probably be pointing out that he was at the Trump Rally less than 2 weeks prior to testing positive, but he also was in a hotspot in Atlanta. Who knows how or where he got it? 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/30/20 10:27 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

It doesn't really matter where he got it, and he's beyond caring in any case. I'll refrain from any further remarks on the matter so as not to flounder the thread.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/20 10:30 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

People will probably be pointing out that he was at the Trump Rally less than 2 weeks prior to testing positive, but he also was in a hotspot in Atlanta. Who knows how or where he got it? 

Considering he wasn't seen wearing a mask anywhere, how he got it is probably easily figured out

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/20 10:51 a.m.

It looks like he was hospitalized within a few days of the rally in Tulsa, so he likely had it long before the rally. No telling how many people he may have infected. 

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/30/20 11:07 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Considering he wasn't seen wearing a mask anywhere, how he got it is probably easily figured out

I thought the point of the mask is to not infect other people?

mtn (Forum Supporter)
7/30/20 11:13 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:

It is more effective at preventing the spread than it is at stopping you from getting it, but it is effective at both. 

The fact that he was around other people without masks, arguably flaunting it on twitter, and he was without a mask, shows he did not take it seriously and it has cost him his life. Being African American and 74, and a cancer survivor, he was in a very high risk group. And he has likley spread it to others as well. Not very responsible.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/30/20 11:15 a.m.

That's what I've been hearing for months, but some have now decided that its to protect you, and protecting others is a good side bonus. Hard to keep the popular opinions straightsmiley

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/30/20 12:01 p.m.
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/20 12:07 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

If he was not wearing a mask in public then it is highly likely that he was not taking any other precautions seriously. Other than telling us what his inner thoughts were on the pandemic, what the mask does is moot in this case.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 12:11 p.m.
03Panther said:

That's what I've been hearing for months, but some have now decided that its to protect you, and protecting others is a good side bonus. Hard to keep the popular opinions straightsmiley

Ever heard the phrase "Big sky, small plane"?  It's the same sort of theory.  Just breathing will put something like 2600 droplets of your lung moisture into the air per second.  (Gross, huh?)  If you wear a face mask, the mask will catch most of that and keep it out of the air.

Breathing IN, your main benefit is keeping distant from other people so the nasty crap has a chance to settle out or otherwise dissipate.  Although if you are in a closed environment with recirculating air (restaurant, bar, etc) you don't get that advantage.  Yeah, not going to one of those ever again...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/20 12:19 p.m.

I didn't know of Cain and his 9-9-9 tax plan until today, but on first glance it's a pretty darn good idea. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/30/20 12:30 p.m.

I need to step out of the thread for a while again.  Two or three people seem to be being deliberately obtuse and contrary for the sake of contrariness.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/30/20 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Sorry, my comment was flippant, and not conducive to good discussion. But I do get drawn in occasionally... 

On your reply, although I am aware of when face coverings help, and why, I am not familiar with the phrase. What does big sky, small plane mean? (I’ve been around some small planes - my wife was a friend of Curtis Pitts - but I assume that’s not it!)

Fortunately, my life allows me to avoid closed spaces with crowds!

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/30/20 12:39 p.m.
03Panther said:

There's opinions of others, and there's data from research that you can look at.  Some have even posted that data.

Having looked at the data, I have come to the concusion that it helps both way.  

Information and knowledge progresses, and is different than it was 3 months ago- in pretty much every single field in the universe.  Don't get hung up on old beliefs when new data and studies provide input.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
7/30/20 1:19 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

I did not mean for a flippant comment to stir things up. In retrospect I prolly did, but I was wrong.

I know things change, but some folks on here can be kinda hostile about their soap box. Hey, at least there is less hostility here than elsewheresmiley

Reading info here, and combining it with other, has changed my opinion about a few things... and a few things it has not.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/20 1:57 p.m.
03Panther said:

What does big sky, small plane mean?

I, and I assume everyone else that has gone through ground school, are taught that in a pinch, a pilot should consider relying on the "big sky theory".

For example, you're low on fuel, visibility is poor, and your radio is out...what do you do?

1. Try to make it to an airport with better visibility so you can seek light signal permission from the tower to land.
  2. Take your chances that there's a whole lot of sky relative to how much other airplane is in it and just land without permission.

#2 is commonly considered your best option in that situation.

In this context, I believe that Pete is saying that wearing a mask increased the good air to bad air ratio reducing the risk of transmission - Pete, please chime in if I've got your point wrong.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
7/30/20 2:01 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
03Panther said:

I, and I assume everyone else that has gone through ground school, are taught that in a pinch, a pilot should consider relying on the "big sky theory".

For example, you're low on fuel, visibility is poor, and your radio is out...what do you do?

1. Try to make it to an airport with better visibility so you can light signal the tower seeking permission to land.
  2. Take your chances that there's a whole lot of sky relative to how much other airplane is in it and just land without permission.

I assume #2 is referring to landing not at an airstrip? I would figure it wouldn't apply to common routes, i.e. in and out of an airport

RX Reven'
7/30/20 2:06 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
03Panther said:

1. Try to make it to an airport with better visibility so you can light signal the tower seeking permission to land.

I assume #2 is referring to landing not at an airstrip? I would figure it wouldn't apply to common routes, i.e. in and out of an airport

Actually, it does mean landing at an active airfield.  I know it sounds odd "when does training ever recommend breaking the rules" but the math sez' the cumulative risk to your aircraft and others in some situations will be lower if you just say Berk it and dump the plane on the runway before you run out of gas.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
7/30/20 2:17 p.m.

Hmmm... Kinda confused on this, and how it is analogous to Covid and masks. Like, I understand that the comparison is there, but I don't understand the theory enough and I don't understand how it compares exactly...

RX Reven'
7/30/20 2:25 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

The fewer planes there are in the sky, the less likely it is that you'll have a midair collision even if you're not actively taking precautions to avoid it.

Wearing a mask reduces the number of bugs in the air so mistakes (ops, I rubbed my eyes) will have a lower likelihood of transmission.

At least, I believe this is the point Pete is making.

1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 228

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
mn5U3cwB3eceiT2qESmmEUUQMrtrZTfOQVhadlA72tNK9atzj7HJEvNUhFqcXUin