1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 228
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/12/20 9:06 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

It's part of the Covid family of viruses. They're out in nature. They change through time like all viruses. This is just the most recent strain, one that likely made a jump from bats to people (as the story goes) 

Recovery depends on severity of symptoms like all respiratory illnesses. Most people are fine in a week, some will have lingering effects for months. There isn't any information because it's not really out of the ordinary from a symptom/recovery standpoint unless you need to go to the hospital. It's mostly the fact that there is a larger percentage of peopel than usual that will get severe symptoms/die and that the virus moves very well which means a larger percentage of the population than usual will catch it. So what do you tell people? Just do normal flu stuff unless you have trouble breathing (or suspect you will becasue of underlying issues) and try hard not to spread/catch it becasue we don't want to all have it the same week. Spread it out over a couple months and hopefully we'll have enough ventilators and hospital beds. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/12/20 9:12 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No one knows for sure. It's said to come from bats somewhere in China. I was reading the cdc updates earlier today, and noticed something I have not seen posted any other place. This E36 M3 is an updated SARS virus. Called SARS-2 something something. Can't find the link right now. So, theoretically, we know how to deal with that. We did that a while ago. 

As far as recovery, I suspect it will be much like SARS was. People are gonna be fine and life will go on. The thing that has me really freaked out is how serious this is all being. What's going on that's got Disney closing parks? Everyone is cancelling everything. That didn't happen with SARS or bird flu or anything. My only guess to that is there's a a lot more that they don't know than they did before. Granted we saw billions of chickens get offed for bird flu, pork was massively short during swine flu.....

And there's me, getting clobbered in the face with the nastiest allergies I've had in decades afraid to go to the doctor and get out on lockdown. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/12/20 9:15 p.m.

I just got an email from champcar.  Proceeding as usual.  No cancellations!  Yay!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/12/20 9:23 p.m.
Mndsm said:

What's going on that's got Disney closing parks? Everyone is cancelling everything. That didn't happen with SARS or bird flu or anything. My only guess to that is there's a a lot more that they don't know than they did before.

Its overwhelming healthcare systems in other countries and if people don't take action, the same or worse will happen here.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
3/12/20 9:35 p.m.

While the covid-19 virus is serious, don't stop living. Between naps and when I felt like it I started cleaning my Challenge entry. T minus 225 days .... Panic is T minus 7 days or T minus 7 hours with a parking lot build. Those are when its time to panic.

Backstory: I have been fighting a sore throat since Saturday and losing. I had an appointment Tuesday, that doctor (not my normal) said if your throat ain't better in 10 days come back. angry

Came home from work at lunch yesterday and slept. The gurgling in my lungs woke me up and I called for an appointment. Fast forward to today, one x ray later, no I don't have pneumonia, it ain't Covid-19, it ain't the flu, just some wonky combination of allergies and a virus messing with me.

Lousy timing.

When the nurse practioner heard what the first doc said on Tuesday she looked at me hard, "Say that again? That was here?"

Pretty sure she either relayed that to my primary doctor or ripped that other doc a new one. Or both.

My primary and the nurse practioner got me fixed up with a nasal spray and allergy medicine. I should be good in a few days.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
3/12/20 9:44 p.m.

Panic!

This is just a poorly laid out slide:

*** "Over 80% cases considered mild" ***    Not "fatality rate - over 80%".

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/12/20 9:48 p.m.

I was in my local Meijer store for a few food items this evening. No chicken or beef, little pork, no soup or canned fruit. no bread. and I got the last two cans of beans in the store. I was in there yesterday and everything was normal except for the toilet paper/hand sanitizer/disinfectant wipes aisles. The store is open 24 hours, so I may have to go very early in the morning assuming they even have anything to stock the shelves.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/12/20 9:55 p.m.

It's indicative of the confusion (some of which is entirely understandable since some answers are not known).

An interesting data point from my sister:  She knows a couple that was on the cruise ship that they flew over and quarantined in CA.  They both are in their 60's and both tested positive for the virus.  They both have showed NO symptoms, as in zero, nothing.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/12/20 10:27 p.m.

I have not seen any "panicking" in this thread, just people sharing their very normal concerns. There's a lot going on in the world, and a lot to digest. Sharing experiences and concerns does not equate to panic. If anyone finds this thread disturbing or unhelpful, they are welcome to ignore it.

Stay healthy my friends!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/12/20 10:31 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Mndsm said:

What's going on that's got Disney closing parks? Everyone is cancelling everything. That didn't happen with SARS or bird flu or anything. My only guess to that is there's a a lot more that they don't know than they did before.

Its overwhelming healthcare systems in other countries and if people don't take action, the same or worse will happen here.

Yeah, and Florida has an extremely high rate of both the elderly and immuno-compromised, not to mention it's tourists hell. Good news, Disney will keep us paid. Bad news.....well I'm not really sure. 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
3/12/20 10:57 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I have not seen any "panicking" in this thread, just people sharing their very normal concerns. There's a lot going on in the world, and a lot to digest. Sharing experiences and concerns does not equate to panic. If anyone finds this thread disturbing or unhelpful, they are welcome to ignore it.

Stay healthy my friends!

i can only assume someone is reading a different thread than you and I are. I only look in on this every few days, but don't see (for the most part) panic in the posts. In fact most are giving advise NOT to panic. 'Course THAT has upset a few folks, but not very many. Now the fear mongers are getting the sheep panicked pretty good, but that, in itself, is normal these days.

When the federal gob'ment starts getting involved in telling citizens not to leave their houses, THAT will be a time to be afraid! But hasn't gone that far...yet...

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
3/12/20 11:54 p.m.

I've been following this thread as well to hear about everyone's experience so far.

I stopped at the grocery store tonight to see how bad it was. Long lines at the registers, so I turned around and walked right back out the door. Probably not much left worth buying. Unlike a natural disaster, the supply chain hasn't been cut off so I'll go back when the stores are re-stocked.

Doubt I will miss any work days with the auto parts supplier, but I'm curious to see if business slows down at all. Most of the garages I saw today were full of cars.

jenny_piu
jenny_piu New Reader
3/13/20 3:11 a.m.

I guess that panic takes much energy 

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/20 4:10 a.m.

Like Warren I went to Meijer yesterday for essentials, rum and diet cranberry soda. Noticed there was no water or toilet paper. 

I suggest investing in Kimberly Clark stock.

Other than that... stop it people. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/20 5:35 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Stay healthy my friends!

I agree with this, I'm not seeing anybody panicking. 

Panic is the big problem with this, seriously. I never would have thought people would freak out so much at the possibility of staying home for a week and not going to school/work

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
3/13/20 5:52 a.m.

My coworkers have already said they are STILL coming in to work if they do or do not have the Coronavirus. Nobody can afford to stay home for 2 weeks unpaid. Soon as heard that I knew that I was FVCKED

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/13/20 7:16 a.m.

In reply to Gary :

You keep saying everyone is panicking, and I'm not really sure what you are reading.  People are just posting their stories- including the fake suggestions that they are getting.  Nothing wrong with that.

Let people talk and post their experience- it's kind of reassuring.  If you don't like it, or feel that this is harming you, well.....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/13/20 7:20 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

My coworkers have already said they are STILL coming in to work if they do or do not have the Coronavirus. Nobody can afford to stay home for 2 weeks unpaid. Soon as heard that I knew that I was FVCKED

I'm lucky to be one that I can mostly work from home, but there will come a time that I will need to go in a support a test.  I think that limiting the people to just a handful, the social distancing that offers is probably pretty effective.  We, too, have a lot of hourly people, and I have heard a story about a person willing to come to work in a hazmat suit to get paid.  I can't imagine how many other people who are in your same seat.

See how much leeway you guys have and be creative so that you can separate yourself and still get work done.  And if you can all (as an entire team) limit your exposure to a constant and small amount of people (like small work and family only)- that *might* be effective (I'm not a doctor, but the idea makes sense).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/13/20 7:25 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No one knows for sure. It's said to come from bats somewhere in China. I was reading the cdc updates earlier today, and noticed something I have not seen posted any other place. This E36 M3 is an updated SARS virus. Called SARS-2 something something. Can't find the link right now. So, theoretically, we know how to deal with that. We did that a while ago. 

As far as recovery, I suspect it will be much like SARS was. People are gonna be fine and life will go on. The thing that has me really freaked out is how serious this is all being. What's going on that's got Disney closing parks? Everyone is cancelling everything. That didn't happen with SARS or bird flu or anything. My only guess to that is there's a a lot more that they don't know than they did before. Granted we saw billions of chickens get offed for bird flu, pork was massively short during swine flu.....

And there's me, getting clobbered in the face with the nastiest allergies I've had in decades afraid to go to the doctor and get out on lockdown. 

SARS was also so serious and quick, it was much easier to contain.  This is so slow to show symptoms that its gotten out pretty wide pretty quickly. 

The real problem with this are the large portion of the 80-85% who may have barely any symptoms.  So for every 10 known cases, there could be 90 that won't ever get tested, 80-85 who won't have problems, and X (no idea) who will either have no idea or barely any idea that they have it- for sure they won't get tested, even if they want to.  They can really spread this fast and nobody will know how.  (this isn't to be alarmist, just putting the data together to help explain to myself that working from home is a good idea)

So getting people separated ASAP is really needed, as hard as it will be.  

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/13/20 7:30 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non said:

I hope this isn't a flounder but this is why we need at least the paid time-off part of the House bill on Coronavirus to pass.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/13/20 7:32 a.m.
yupididit said:

I just missed out on a silver 2014 f150 with dark blue leather interior. Total panic when they said, "sorry it just sold". crying

No longer panicking. Figured out that all 2014 F150 Limited comes with this interior package. They're all over the place on price though! Hopefully I find me a silver, black, or blue one. In that order, no exceptions. 

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/13/20 7:38 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

My hope is that the long term effect of this will be an improvement in health care and mandated PTO.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/13/20 7:40 a.m.

It's definitely starting to have an economic impact.

The hotel I'm in right now had 4 bus tours from Canada cancel their trips. The desk guy estimated income loss at $650K. And that's just the hotel - those bus trips are tourists who come to NH to (tax-free) shop and eat, so area retailers and restaurants will also take a hit.

A friend is a musician and sound system rental operator. He's had his calendar almost empty as events have been canceled. 

For better or worse, I work in the pharma industry. This sort of thing tends to increase business... 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/13/20 7:58 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

The entertainment industry (sports, shows, concerts, some tours, cruises, hotels, airports) are the ones who will get hit the hardest.  The "stuff" they sell can't really be made up, as it's easy to live without what they are selling.

On the other side of the economy are the necessities- food and healthcare- some will see a HUGE increase in need, others will have to figure out how to get their very needed product out.

Everyone in between will see a different degree of that.  Some, the demand is still there and can wait it out, others is more optional and will lose sales.

Still, the only permanent ones are entertainment and travel, since they can't make it up.  

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
3/13/20 8:08 a.m.

So, Michigan announced late last night that all schools will close starting Monday through April 5th.  My wife teaches sixth grade and only 15/32 kids showed up for her class today, which should surprise nobody.  There is just massive confusion right now, no plans for anything.  Does this unexpected three week closure mean all later breaks are cancelled to make it up?  Will school extend three weeks later into the summer?  Who knows at this point... the economic impacts of this one choice will be pretty big.  I still haven't witnessed anyone actually panicking about any of this yet.  Most people I talk to are merely annoyed by all of this and complaining about other people panicking and hoarding all the TP.

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 228

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
wsACYgPHFIBRU9gyxb3EbQbogiNFa85ZhxIEWeit5FmvlzNUTWaV11PC8K2I4SGP