1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 228
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/22/20 5:04 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I KINDA get the TP  hoarding thing, but.....Y'all realize that the US of A is the only nation on the planet hoarding ammunition  over this Kung-Flu thing? Is the plan to shoot the virus? 

Be nice if someone inside the fishbowl could explain to the rest of the planet  looking in; why is this a thing?  

Pete

Here in Florida, we shoot at hurricanes, gators, each other.....

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/20 5:17 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I KINDA get the TP  hoarding thing, but.....Y'all realize that the US of A is the only nation on the planet hoarding ammunition  over this Kung-Flu thing? Is the plan to shoot the virus? 

Be nice if someone inside the fishbowl could explain to the rest of the planet  looking in; why is this a thing?  

Pete

Part of it is panic. If you don't think looting can happen in a disaster, just look at Katrina. Most people are more afraid of people being stupid rather than the virus. People are remarkably stupid so I totally can see it

Part of it is because ammo shortages suck, imagine getting that cool race car and not being able to get gas. Guns aren't some sacred object or whatever, they are tools like anything else.

The main reason I bought some is not a normal reason. I live in the woods, there's food everywhere. I literally drove past over 70 deer today from a distance of 25 feet. If food shortages happen, I can hunt. Is it doubtful? Absolutely, but I will use the ammo one day no matter what.

The last reason is.....why the hell not? Ammo is cheap and last for pretty much ever. It's like buying canned food in case of an emergency.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
3/22/20 5:26 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Agreed. PA shut down similarly on Friday and the local U Pull & Pay is open. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
3/22/20 5:37 p.m.

I buy ammo 1000 rounds at a time, i didnt panic buy any.  I have more guns than i NEED already so i didnt buy any of those either.  If ammo manufacturers dont go to work due to kungflu then it will dry up sooner or later and all the boneheads that spend their $1000 corona check on partying and a big tv will get hungry and with LEOs spread thin or worse I'm ready to protect my food and family if needed.  Fingers crossed that i dont use a single round for sure, but ive been paying around 25-30 cents a round for AR15 ammo when at one point is was a buck a piece.   If you told someone they could make $3 for every dollar spent just from a pandemic, natural disaster or a liberal getting the White House and if that never happen you still can hunt, protect your home or have fun punching 1/4" holes in paper at 300+ yards.......

Edit: just checked, what was $129 a month ago is $310 now

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/20 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Cheaper Than Dirt was charging something like $5 a round for 223 at one point

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/20 6:04 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Im in Montgomery Alabama and still have El Camino engine parts you can say hi to, lol.  If you need anything on the way down, holler

Thanks- actually I probably have El Camino parts that I've come across I could drop off as well. We actually may get some tips on places to get supplies though as from our understanding Fort Morgan where we're going doesn't have any stores nearby so we'd planned on picking up all our groceries on the way (and eating out while there, though that will obviously change to take-out at best...). 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

After seeing about Ohio's stay-at-Home I looked and found that the yards in Louisville have a good number of e46's and even a few droptop ones, so I may go there instead and see if they're less picked-over. Or maybe it would be smarter to try and go to Ohio since I could potentially go to Louisville the following weekend if things aren't shut down (and our trip gets axed). I'll have to see...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/22/20 6:15 p.m.

https://covidactnow.org/

State by state hospital overload predictions

03Panther
03Panther Reader
3/22/20 8:01 p.m.

I’m not, and haven’t, in any way encouraging anyone to not take the spread of a virus seriously. But since people that look at what may happen, and plan reasonably ahead don’t have to panic, I have some ammo (and things to use it in) around all the time ‘Cause the general public does tend to panic. That can lead to problems where I might need ammo. 

I’m  way more worried about people, than viruses. “Never underestimate the power of stupid panicky people in large numbers.”

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/22/20 8:43 p.m.

I read a firsthand account of what it's like for the people who end up in ventilators from the virus, and now I'm terrified. I'll be hiding under my bed if anyone needs me.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
3/22/20 8:46 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Take your cell phone, I'll call ya from my basement.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/22/20 8:56 p.m.

Ohio lockdown order but the Ohio order is similar to the PA one so I am an "essential trade" being in building management/maintenance. I think I'll go in when nobody else is there since I'll be doing nothing much but receiving packages and making sure the place isn't flooded or looted or ...

03Panther
03Panther Reader
3/22/20 9:38 p.m.

If I were to get the virus, my hope is it won’t take me down that far. If it does, just pull the plug, and I won’t have to worry about it then, either. laugh

Gary
Gary UltraDork
3/22/20 9:46 p.m.

I've been away from this thread for about a week since I was chided for being too optimistic and shouldn't be suggesting that people were panicing ... even though that's what the title of this thread suggests. Well, whatever. This has been a good thread anyway. Annie and I are carrying on. We stay at home as much as possible. We have food in the fridge and freezer. We're buying take-out from our favorite local restaurants. We have enough TP. And most importantly, we have plenty of wine in the cellar. We watch the daily pressers by the President and our Governor, and we're following directions and being good citizens. And we're still optimistic. So, here I am tonight enjoying a few glasses of great Cote du Rhone in front of the fireplace. (I do have another leg, off camera).

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
3/22/20 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Nice place. Curious what the little door above the mantel is for.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
3/22/20 10:37 p.m.

This is interesting and would seem to partially explain Italy's high virus death count.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/

"But Prof Ricciardi added that Italy’s death rate may also appear high because of how doctors record fatalities.

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says"

Gary
Gary UltraDork
3/22/20 10:39 p.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

Fireplace starter stuff.

(Actually, back in the day a couple hundred years ago, they probably stored candles or maybe cannibis in there. Thirty-five years ago I designed my house as sort of a replica of an 1840's era Early American home. However, I don't think they had cathedral ceilings in 1840. I'm happy with my house. It's very cozy and comfortable. And I did the wide pine floors and made a lot of the furnishings myself, including the storage cabinet and wall clock in the pic).

j_tso
j_tso Reader
3/22/20 10:49 p.m.

Harbor Freight announced they're donating their supply of masks and gloves to hospitals.

https://twitter.com/HarborFreight/status/1241810293589708802

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/20 11:19 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Pete

For the inevitable rush of people trying to take the tp.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/22/20 11:24 p.m.
Gary said:

In reply to rustybugkiller :

Fireplace starter stuff.

(Actually, back in the day a couple hundred years ago, they probably stored candles or maybe cannibis in there. Thirty-five years ago I designed my house as sort of a replica of an 1840's era Early American home. However, I don't think they had cathedral ceilings in 1840. I'm happy with my house. It's very cozy and comfortable. And I did the wide pine floors and made a lot of the furnishings myself, including the storage cabinet and wall clock in the pic).

Hand hewn?

swintyulna
swintyulna
3/23/20 12:46 a.m.

It's hard not to panic, but at this time, it's wise if we don't. We just have to make sure that we're stocked up and never go out. Panicking won't help. 

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
3/23/20 2:21 a.m.

In reply to swintyulna :

I mean, for those of us who still work in places where if one person has it.... we're all gonna have it. Panic is fruitless, worry is fruitless, stress is fruitless, best to just carry on in blissful ignorance and follow CDC guidelines as close as we can.

Speaking of, I need to go grocery shopping. Running low on food for the week, looks like stores are starting to return to normal?

chada75
chada75 Reader
3/23/20 2:27 a.m.

Been driving the Taxi here in Winston-Salem this past week. Never bleached the interior until last Sunday. Downtown at night except the Bus Station is very quiet. Been blessed so far. BTW, Thanks Woody for your service.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
3/23/20 4:16 a.m.
Cotton said:

This is interesting and would seem to partially explain Italy's high virus death count.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/

"But Prof Ricciardi added that Italy’s death rate may also appear high because of how doctors record fatalities.

“The way in which we code deaths in our country is very generous in the sense that all the people who die in hospitals with the coronavirus are deemed to be dying of the coronavirus.

“On re-evaluation by the National Institute of Health, only 12 per cent of death certificates have shown a direct causality from coronavirus, while 88 per cent of patients who have died have at least one pre-morbidity - many had two or three,” he says"

Also from that article:

"But there are other factors that may have contributed to Italy’s fatality rates, experts say. This includes a high rate of smoking and pollution - the majority of deaths have been in the northern region Lombardy region, which is notorious for poor air quality."

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/20 4:21 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I was told that rolling coal didn't hurt nobody.

1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 ... 228

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
BctRHEhW4qQ7Q0lzO8WmW70TY5RANEhvw2FAihvaPyHg6n1cnHJsitVxWQykolO6