1 2 3
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/17/18 9:46 p.m.

Years ago I shared the bestest way to get rid of unwanted stray cats. Can't embed, so i link  

Linkey

Well, tonight I ran across the bestest way to teach package thieves a lesson. 

Linkey 2

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/18 10:12 p.m.

Both solid bits of work!

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
12/17/18 10:14 p.m.

berkeleying genius.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/18 10:15 p.m.

you can buy a commercial version of the motion activated water sprinkler, but there's  nothing that I've ever seen that's anything like Mark Rober's glitter bomb/fart spray/camera system. I've been watching quite a few of his videos, he's good. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/17/18 10:41 p.m.

Simple man's version is a legit Amazon box filled with bricks and dog E36 M3.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/17/18 11:09 p.m.

Glitter bomb is great, they should sell those

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
12/17/18 11:44 p.m.

Package thieves... Less glitter. More claymore. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
12/18/18 12:42 a.m.

Combine the two...Replace the glitter with crumbled up (used) cat litter clumps.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/18 12:50 a.m.

Good.  Now again with liquid dog poo

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/18/18 2:10 a.m.

Yessssssssss. I raged at the “come on bro!” Thief didn’t lose his hand he should consider himself lucky. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/18/18 6:23 a.m.

That was excellent.  And since glitter is the herpes of the arts and crafts world they’ll be reminded of their actions for YEARS.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 6:39 a.m.

Fart spray is a nice touch, but pepper spray would be better.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/18/18 7:02 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Fart spray is a nice touch, but pepper spray would be better.

YES!!  Here's a man who's volume knob goes to 11!!!  Love it!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/18/18 7:07 a.m.

I can't believe that anyone actually "disliked" the video.  Sheer genius.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 7:10 a.m.

Just came to post that, it was hilarious. However, it would be more environmentally-friendly AND annoying to put something biodegradeable in there in place of metallized microplastics AKA glitter. Nothing he puts in there will rot while it's in there considering the turnaround time. So what exactly might be a better substitute? Shredded fish bits? Chopped onions maybe?

Torkel
Torkel New Reader
12/18/18 7:13 a.m.

This guy is my new hero. I think I need to re-watch these videos together with my soon-2-year old son. Positive male role model right there.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/18/18 7:39 a.m.

Ok, the question is, how much did this rig cost, and how cheaply can it be done?  I'm think raspberry pi and 3 wide-angle Pi cams would be cheaper than 4 phones and a data plan. 

I'd also like to see the fart/pepper spray shoot every 5 seconds or continuously. 

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
12/18/18 7:47 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

A pi seems like overkill in this world of cheap ardinos. The hardest part is exfiltrating video before the enraged thief fubars your work, which is where a cheap cellphone might actually be cost effective. Maybe 3 old androids flashed with a nice custom app, one with gps control with a relay on the speaker output. Simple.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/18 7:48 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Ok, the question is, how much did this rig cost, and how cheaply can it be done?  I'm think raspberry pi and 3 wide-angle Pi cams would be cheaper than 4 phones and a data plan. 

I'd also like to see the fart/pepper spray shoot every 5 seconds or continuously. 

4x whatever phones you use +  3d printing costs (the thing he printed is probably at least a couple hundred) + control system and motors (call it $150). Then there are the consumables: Glitter, fart spray, and 4-high speed cell data plans sending video...so yeah it could easily cost more than a half-budget Challenge car in initial build cost and running costs.

A cheaper way to do it would be to lose the 4 phones and either let the control board handle all the video (maybe with a single 360deg camera?), or have it trigger some cheapo action cams, and stick it in a cheap wooden box. One data plan for the control board would reduce those costs somewhat, maybe have it scan for open wifi before uploading over cell data.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/18/18 8:06 a.m.

If anyone wants to do this, I'll donate my time for the 3D printed stuff. 

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
12/18/18 8:14 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

However, it would be more environmentally-friendly AND annoying to put something biodegradeable in there in place of metallized microplastics AKA glitter. 

Cayenne powder is biodegradeable, right?

... and it has an SDS.  For safety.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
12/18/18 9:06 a.m.

Alas, the "molecular acid" from Alien isn't available...

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/18/18 9:14 a.m.
Nugi said:

In reply to DrBoost :

A pi seems like overkill in this world of cheap ardinos. The hardest part is exfiltrating video before the enraged thief fubars your work, which is where a cheap cellphone might actually be cost effective. Maybe 3 old androids flashed with a nice custom app, one with gps control with a relay on the speaker output. Simple.

The Microcenter down the street from me sells the Pi Zero W for $5.

In retrospect, I'm actually a little skeptical of how perfect these reaction videos were. I am choosing to believe them but some part of me is saying everyone in the video was in on it. But no sane person would glitter bomb their own car, so maybe not.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/18/18 9:17 a.m.
dculberson said:
Nugi said:

In reply to DrBoost :

The Microcenter down the street from me sells the Pi Zero W for $5.

In retrospect, I'm actually a little skeptical of how perfect these reaction videos were. I am choosing to believe them but some part of me is saying everyone in the video was in on it. But no sane person would glitter bomb their own car, so maybe not.

I think they're legit. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/18/18 9:25 a.m.

I was thinking a single 360 degree camera would be far simpler, and probably better picture quality.  

Cayenne pepper would be far more awesome than glitter.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W66v9cvh3KpkzCVUjO4rZTtvMWyBT41RZvZnPlZbhsXZ1gJ3lBejzu8et1MBSnxB