1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 7:35 a.m.

Looks like a canoe resurrection? Anyway I also use Bandcamp for cheap, legal, DRM-free music these days.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 7:57 a.m.
scardeal said:

I sometimes go to thrift stores. CDs for a $1

I know this is a canoe revival, but this one is funny now.

My '18 Mazda 3 doesn't even have a CD player..........but has an SD Card to music on if you want!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/16/19 8:05 a.m.
z31maniac said:
scardeal said:

My '18 Mazda 3 doesn't even have a CD player..........but has an SD Card to music on if you want!

Yes, but a computer with a CD drive will turn that CD into MP3s.

GameboyRMH
8/16/19 8:09 a.m.

.mp3 files are old-school now, these days I use .m4a, .flac, and .opus files.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 8:52 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
z31maniac said:
scardeal said:

My work laptop is approaching 3 years old and doesn't have a CD drive. So I just use Spotify on my phone + Bluetooth.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
8/16/19 1:01 p.m.

Accuradio is pretty good and not many commercials,

but you need to be online , 

is there a simple android app that lets you record for an hour at a time to listen to offline later ?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 1:18 p.m.
z31maniac said:
ProDarwin said:
z31maniac said:
scardeal said:

My work laptop is approaching 3 years old and doesn't have a CD drive. So I just use Spotify on my phone + Bluetooth.

I always buy a physical copy of my music. Harder to lose and a lot of music never made the jump to streaming. For example, I was listening to Bop Rap from the Shuffle Demons on the way to work this morning, and the Bourbon Tabernacle Choir yesterday. Can't get those on Spotify. I have an external CD drive that I use to rip the CDs.

I have a dozen cars. Two have bluetooth capabilities and they forget once in a while so they're a PITA. I drive through places that don't have cell service, including on my drive to work. So a I have an iPod Classic with a big freakin' hard drive and a 1/8" cable. Works on pretty much everything, massive battery life, easy to control without looking at it and no connection issues.

To answer the original question from several years ago - I used to get digital music from eMusic. They've changed their plans a few different times but it always seemed to be more indy-friendly than other options and quite affordable. Having a monthly subscription forces you to go looking for new and interesting music which is actually kind of a fun thing.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 2:50 p.m.

^Since I have premium, I can download as many songs to my phone on playlists and what not as I have storage. 

But as you said, you have many more cars, are likely on the road much more often, and often in places that don't have service. 

I haven't been somewhere that doesn't have cell service in like 6 years?

Keith Tanner
8/16/19 3:36 p.m.

This photo was taken on Hwy 4 in California a couple of days ago. No service wink You should go there...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 3:37 p.m.

I already have a few epic road trips planned for the next few years. Girlfriend finishes her degree in the Spring and I pay some stuff off, so the time and money will finally be there again after a few years.

Also, that's a fantastic picture.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/16/19 4:07 p.m.

I like to span the entire spectrum of music storage. I can play CDs or cassettes in my Town Car (although I think the cassette player needs cleaning). Aux jack, Bluetooth, and USB plug in my other 3 cars, so I can use a phone, USB stick, or even my trusty old Zune. At home I use 181.fm internet radio to listen to 90s music laugh

All I'm missing is 8-tracks and records. I'll skip the 8-tracks, but I'd consider buying a record player.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/16/19 4:30 p.m.

I pay for spotify. I have for years. All my cars have aux ports- and its bundled with my hulu so I'm basically getting  one for free. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/19 4:53 p.m.

I use Spotify and Bandcamp. Bandcamp is really neat for being able to listen quite a bit for free, then download purchases (often very cheap and/or suggested pricing) in FLAC and often buy physical media of stuff you like. We also used it to put our own stuff up when the band was running.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/16/19 5:15 p.m.

I used to buy a CD or two a month, $15~. Now I subscribe to Apple Music $10/month. Sure it is giving in/selling out, but honestly I feel that music is worth $120/year and everything I've looked for has been there.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 5:19 p.m.
barefootskater said:

I used to buy a CD or two a month, $15~. Now I subscribe to Apple Music $10/month. Sure it is giving in/selling out, but honestly I feel that music is worth $120/year and everything I've looked for has been there.

Agreed. 

I've had Spotify Premium pretty much since it was available so, like 10-11 years? I now have the family account for $15/month so my girlfriend has the premium version as well.

I'd happily pay 2-3x what I do now because of how much I listen to music at work, home, and in the car. And so maybe the artists would get a bigger chunk. 

But anymore they make their money touring and selling merch, so I make sure to see to the bands I really like live as often as I can and buy at least 1 Tshirt.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/16/19 6:08 p.m.
z31maniac said:
barefootskater said:

Agreed. 

I've had Spotify Premium pretty much since it was available so, like 10-11 years? I now have the family account for $15/month so my girlfriend has the premium version as well.

I'd happily pay 2-3x what I do now because of how much I listen to music at work, home, and in the car. And so maybe the artists would get a bigger chunk. 

But anymore they make their money touring and selling merch, so I make sure to see to the bands I really like live as often as I can and buy at least 1 Tshirt.

Last time I went to a show I bought 2 shirts and 3 autographed vinyl albums. Love the merch table. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/19 7:15 p.m.

One grouse I have about Spotify; it's like stuff vanishes from my music collection, and I haven't even lent it out!

Or gets subbed in weirdly. The version of Magazine's "Shot By Both Sides" in one of my playlists got arbitrarily swapped for a weird other recording.

So I do find it important to acquire my own personal copy of anything that's at all important to me. I can't have contract renegotiations between lawyers and labels gutting my music collection.

Super-stoked phone storage is up to FLAC scale, though I'm still waiting for broader player support on the phone.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 7:18 a.m.

Some indie groups offer direct downloads on their own websites.  Generally, this is people who do heavy sampling or remixes, and doing any official releases would be a copyright nightmare, so they just throw their work up online for free.

This is a lot of why you can't find good remixes on youtube anymore.  They get pulled for copyright infringement.  Hell, a few of my in car videos got pulled for that... then restored, somehow.  (Was listening to The Kleptones, which got mis-identified as someone else)

BTW - If you fight an infringement and lose, your entire channel is up for deletion.  There is no arbitration and usually there aren't even humans involved.

Keith Tanner
8/17/19 11:20 a.m.

The Bourbon Tabernacle Choir, when they shut down, put their entire library up on their website including a bunch of live shows - and they did good live shows. They had a record deal of some sort with a real label, but apparently retained ownership. It's a classy thing to do, and the alternative would have been the complete disappearance of the band's work. There are a few other bands I wish had gone the same way. 

If you like funky music with horns that doesn't fit in an easy categorization but is full of energy, go check out their site.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/5/21 8:54 a.m.

It is bandcamp friday today. They waive their fees on specific fridays so that all of the purchase proceeds go directly to the artists. If there is music you like, get it directly from the artist this way. They will appreciate it very much.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
8/15/23 7:14 a.m.

I normally use the Bezos subscription "unlimited" and was able to find about a dozen albums on the from The Bourbon Tabernacle Choir.

I'll have to check them out today while working. 

GopherBrokeRacing
GopherBrokeRacing New Reader
8/16/23 1:55 p.m.

I've downloaded free music from Internet Archive for years.  https://archive.org/details/etree.  These are audience recordings of live shows from musicians that permit "taping".   There are 235,000 shows available!  These are mostly "jam bands", I've been in the crowd at a lot of these shows and am always surprised at the quality of the recording equipment these fans drag in.  You'll be surprised at the quality of the recordings themselves. At a few shows I was next to the recording being made and can hear myself cheering.  You can download the shows as an MP3 or a hi def FLAC file, or you can just stream it from the site.  In the car, I stream it to  my cell phone which then casts it to car audio system. 

GameboyRMH
8/16/23 2:12 p.m.

In reply to markvince :

I think Google will bring an end to that soon enough when they use their browser monopoly to push a DRM scheme on everyone...

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
10/9/23 9:37 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Maybe, sort of...  If I can play it, I can record it.  anything that comes through my sound card gets looped back in and Audacity does the rest.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/23 6:38 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

What browser monopoly does Google have?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h9PRudPQNegclutjjuRhpadNo3JBiSoRbR3Xl3xlEUS7nDVE5niapC32CGUU4l1J