1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/6/18 1:56 p.m.

That's it. Long story as to why it has to be wild caught Alaskan salmon. The local bogie is roughly $10/lb, but Costco quality is spotty.

Thanks

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/6/18 2:06 p.m.

Got any local fresh seafood places?  Most of those guys will tell you where the stuff is from, fresh or previously frozen, wild caught or farm-raised, etc.  We have one guy close to here that's been in business for fifty years.  They must be doing something right. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
8/6/18 2:08 p.m.

Hole foods?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/6/18 2:19 p.m.

May be faster to contact some fisheries in Alaska and have it sent down frozen.  We got a lot when we were up there for a family visit, and the price was really reasonable. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/6/18 2:23 p.m.
alfadriver said:

May be faster to contact some fisheries in Alaska and have it sent down frozen.  We got a lot when we were up there for a family visit, and the price was really reasonable. 

over $20/lb from what I saw so far. Any links?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/6/18 2:24 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:

Hole foods?

$13/lb but I believe it's good stuff, so it's better than $10/lb that we have to throw away and panic about sometimes.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/6/18 2:27 p.m.
tuna55 said:
alfadriver said:

over $20/lb from what I saw so far. Any links?

Sorry- that was quite a few year ago- but we found a place in Fairbanks that we stopped at to have some sent home.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/6/18 3:18 p.m.

I don't think you're going to be able to buy wild caught Alaskan salmon that's from South Carolina.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/6/18 3:22 p.m.
Duke said:

I don't think you're going to be able to buy wild caught Alaskan salmon that's from South Carolina.

if the Salmon's permanent address is from Alaska but it's just visiting family or maybe on vacation in South Carolina then it's entirely possible

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/18 3:24 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
Duke said:

if the Salmon's permanent address is from Alaska but it's just visiting family or maybe on vacation in South Carolina then it's entirely possible

also look out for SC salmon that's using a Alaskan Mailboxes Etc address, or an Alaskan SPO.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/18 3:27 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

PM one of our Alaskan members & ask for their input? Skeird and crankwalk are the two I know of offhand. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/6/18 3:45 p.m.

see if loki has anyting available.  https://www.lokifish.com/  <-- very high quality canned salmon.

they own the boat and the processing.. super high quality.

or these guys for cheaper  http://www.copperriverseafoods.com/alaska-salmon-1/

absolute cheapest is the Ocean Beauty Seafoods Dock sales that happen monthly in Seattle.  But you need to be there.. and early..  They clear out their freezers and people come from miles around to buy everything cheap.

https://www.facebook.com/OceanBeautySeafoods/

Trident has a similar sale: https://www.facebook.com/events/453267901818112/

Not practical from SC unless you got a friend with a saturday morning free.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/6/18 4:32 p.m.

I’m going to assume you meant to buy Alaskan salmon IN SC. What do you prioritize? Fresh vs frozen? Budget? Best quality vs anything labeled “Alaskan”? I’ve spent over 9 years slinging fish at Wegmans although I’m not too familiar with your local retailers to know what they offer.

Wegmans isn’t in SC, although NC shortly. In season you will have King, sockeye, and coho. All fresh, never frozen. King runs may to October or November. Sockeye starts the same time and should be tapering off right about now with Coho starting up and going into the fall. Sock and coho should run around $15/lb now, king would be in the low $20s. Frozen sockeye portions run about $10/lb in a 2 lb family pack. Winter we get a previously frozen sockeye from Favco. They freeze them whole at the end of the season and later thaw them out, filet and ship just as they would the fresh. 

You could try contacting Favco, although I don’t know if they deal with actual customers. I know the Pike Place Fish Market will ship nation wide. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/18 4:58 p.m.

Pikes Place Fish Market.

$37.99/lb for Fresh Wild Kind Salmon. $75 for overnight shipping. 

A 2lb Filet, shipped  = $151

Wow.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/6/18 8:36 p.m.

Many thanks, folks, she ended up remembering that she had a school friend who now lives in Alaska, we got the name of a reputable place that wasn’t too expensive to try shipping direct, the price was a little higher in the grocery store, but based on today’s experience it is worth a try. I will let you all know how it turns out  

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/6/18 8:39 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

No local shops at the fish throwing guys. There are local dudes farther down the market who are cheaper. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/7/18 12:43 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Repeat message ?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/7/18 1:26 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Pete and repeat walk into a bar....

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/7/18 3:13 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to z31maniac :

No local shops at the fish throwing guys. There are local dudes farther down the market who are cheaper. 

I'm sure, I just decided to check Pike's since it was mentioned. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/7/18 3:41 p.m.

To me, the “wild caught” stuff we get at the store is nowhere near as good as the “farm-raised” stuff...which I assume is raised in a cesspool full of antibiotics. YUM!

With 90% of the fish sold in the U.S. coming from other countries, I just but what’s cheap unless I’m near a beach.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/7/18 3:48 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

To me, the “wild caught” stuff we get at the store is nowhere near as good as the “farm-raised” stuff...which I assume is raised in a cesspool full of antibiotics. YUM!

With 90% of the fish sold in the U.S. coming from other countries, I just but what’s cheap unless I’m near a beach.

I'm very picky with my fish, just because I don't really trust it coming from China (and elsewhere). 

I've never been able to tell a difference in the Wild Caught and Farm Raised salmon; however, Salmon that I have caught is noticeably better.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/7/18 5:44 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

How picky can you really be, though? I read that 90% number and pretty much gave up. I’d love to believe the high dollar stuff at the sushi place isn’t from China or some third-world cesspool, but that’s probably wishful thinking.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/7/18 7:23 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to mtn :

How picky can you really be, though? I read that 90% number and pretty much gave up. I’d love to believe the high dollar stuff at the sushi place isn’t from China or some third-world cesspool, but that’s probably wishful thinking.

Basically, unless I can see the ocean I only eat perch, Walleye, or fish I’ve caught myself (usually perch or Walleye). Most all of that is US/Canukistan sourced.  The smoked salmon I get from Costco says product of Greece, which may or may not be a good thing, but I have it about twice a year.

Sushi is about a twice a year deal. I won’t eat it if I’m far from a large port either.

Helps that I think tilapia is nasty. 

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/8/18 4:38 a.m.

If you need more in the future, hit me up via PM.  My mom lives in Juneau, and I have siblings in Anchorage ;)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/8/18 8:44 a.m.

Just remember that a LARGE majority of fish is flash frozen on the boat within minutes of being caught. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eC61yjGmKwRKQ8yNUTbuHhRFyzekhJo7lfvExArDapHSIKj247ESfhYM3s2NR6uH