Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/08 9:13 a.m.

We have a new turtle out in the pond. He was waiting to cross the road so I helped him along.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/1/08 9:28 a.m.

Awesome! I love stopping to help turtles. Those little buggers can move when they want to! Sometimes I havent even been able to catch them, I just chase them off the road!

Joey

therex
therex Dork
7/1/08 9:39 a.m.

Your first picture is the funniest looking turtle I've ever seen!

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
7/1/08 9:56 a.m.
therex wrote: Your first picture is the funniest looking turtle I've ever seen!

Camo..

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/1/08 10:56 a.m.

He's a Mutant Ninja Turtle. Probably somewhere between 13 and 19 years old. Ninjas can disguise themselves as ANYTHING!

Lesley
Lesley Dork
7/1/08 11:11 a.m.

I have a bumper sticker that says "I brake for turtles". And I do! One time, my sis and I stopped for three of them, and decided to take them off the busy road and closer to a nearby pond. They were all trundling around the bottom of the car, christening it at intervals with turtle-pee.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/1/08 12:09 p.m.

My girlfriend stopped to help a turtle a few years ago. I asked her if it had a snapper or not afterwards and she said she didn't notice. It turns out she didn't realize how nasty some of those snappers can be, fortunately this guy was nice enough and apparently was either not a snapper or was entirely too preoccupied with the traffic to worry about her grabbing him.

Bryce

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/08 1:13 a.m.

here at the shore we get mud turtles (for lack of a better name) crossing the roads all spring and early summer as they leave the tidal areas for high land to lay their eggs. Many of them do not make it across the blacktop.

years ago, I stopped to help one.. just as I was moving in to pick her up, an shiny happy person swerved to crush her.. missing me by inches. If I had a rock or anything, it would have gone through their rear window

MitchellC
MitchellC New Reader
7/2/08 3:16 a.m.

Reminds me of one of those childhood memories that never goes away. I was with my mom, and saw a turtle trying to cross the road. Just as we pulled over, an Isuzu NPR hit it.

Lesley
Lesley Dork
7/2/08 7:04 a.m.

Bryce, snapping turtles are pretty easy to identify. They're prehistoric looking, with a rough shell, rather than shiny.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
7/2/08 7:27 a.m.

My wife rescued a bird from the cat last weekend. Cat had it pinned but would let it go a bit then pounce on it again, smiling. Trish shooed the cat away; bird fires off at light speed about two feet off the ground toward the road.

He got planked by a mini van.

When it's your turn, it's your turn.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/2/08 8:33 a.m.
Lesley wrote: Bryce, snapping turtles are pretty easy to identify. They're prehistoric looking, with a rough shell, rather than shiny.

They're often found near tiny piles of severed human fingers.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/2/08 8:53 a.m.

Dude, are you wearing ROOS?

therex
therex Dork
7/2/08 8:59 a.m.

Anyone ever eaten Snapping Turtle? That's one turtle I wouldn't have a big problem eating, and it's supposed to be good.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
7/2/08 12:53 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: here at the shore we get mud turtles (for lack of a better name) crossing the roads all spring and early summer as they leave the tidal areas for high land to lay their eggs. Many of them do not make it across the blacktop. years ago, I stopped to help one.. just as I was moving in to pick her up, an shiny happy person swerved to crush her.. missing me by inches. If I had a rock or anything, it would have gone through their rear window

Honestly, that would have been enough to make me lose my mind, chase them down, PIT them, and beat them to a bloody pulp.

But I'm particularly fond of turtles/tortoises.

Meet Spike and Gomer.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
7/2/08 1:05 p.m.

Hmmm, and I try to keep the turtles out of my ponds as they eat the fish eggs and really cut down the population.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/2/08 1:22 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Bryce, snapping turtles are pretty easy to identify. They're prehistoric looking, with a rough shell, rather than shiny.

Lordy. When I was a kid there was a pond near our house with two or three of thosein it. We used to tease them with sticks and see if we could get them to bite the stick. They would break a twig pretty quick. It made us real careful of where we put our feet around that pond.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/2/08 3:58 p.m.

Should have seen me the other week in the pond. Found a female snapper on the bank laying eggs. Something I could do without. So I'm trying to flip her up the embankment, while sliding down into the pond, where she wants to go. All while trying not to get bitten, with nothing but some rubber boots on. Thank goodness she wasn't an agressive snapper! She was tasty though.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/08 4:11 p.m.

if you were wearing nothing but rubber boots.. you have bigger issues than snapping turtles... or perhaps you really need to worry about snappers, depending on how you are feeling at that moment

slowe30
slowe30 New Reader
7/2/08 4:19 p.m.

I wonder if that was me... I was with my kayaking instructor when i was in middle school, along a curvy road in the NC mountains. As we came around a bend we saw a lady walking up the side of the road, and her car parked ahead. My instructor veered a bit left to give the lady some room, and i caught sight of the turtle the lady was coming to pick up just before we hit it. If she hadn't been walking on the side of the road, my instructor would have probably seen the turtle... oh the irony. sad, but the lady's face was priceless, i must say.

edit: i don't have a hang of the new reply/quote buttons yet, apparently. this post refers to one of the above posts.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/08 2:34 a.m.

I didn't realize I had the frog picture there too.

Rest easy, I don't have on Roos. They are Reebok Classics, which are probabaly just as bad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yP5haDUGuzAGOtCUynhODVttfAclUHxKCmhdm7vnqArR7fRkE3UHaTHlaeCxrdhf