alex
alex UberDork
11/9/16 2:37 p.m.

Through sheer boneheadery I've managed to lose two keys and matching remotes for my girlfriend's '01 Avalon in as many months. We're down to one key and no remotes, and given my current trends, I need to get on this before we're down to zero.

So, is my only option a Toyota dealer, or is there a more wallet friendly DIY solution here?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/9/16 2:49 p.m.

There's a lot of third party remote sellers - I bought a remote for my wife's Camry on Amazon; it works great.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/9/16 3:57 p.m.

I just bought two key/remotes on eBay for my LX470. They are the kind with the internal teeth and a transponder chip. I got them cut for $20 ea and I programmed the truck myself. This is what I had to go through to program the truck. Easy, right?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/9/16 6:38 p.m.

That is right around the Toyota era of "Lost all the keys? Here's new keys, a new security module and a new ECU. Thanks for the couple of thousand dollars."

I don't know if thats the case with yours, but look after it right now.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/9/16 7:54 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I just bought two key/remotes on eBay for my LX470. They are the kind with the internal teeth and a transponder chip. I got them cut for $20 ea and I programmed the truck myself. This is what I had to go through to program the truck. Easy, right?

Did the same to my RAV4. The hardest part was the bad cut from the hardware store that required multiple brushing to get to work slick.

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy New Reader
11/9/16 8:12 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: That is right around the Toyota era of "Lost all the keys? Here's new keys, a new security module and a new ECU. Thanks for the couple of thousand dollars." I don't know if thats the case with yours, but look after it right now.

His Avalon is in that mix. If you lose the last key, you're screwed.

http://www.brandtlocksmiths.com/doc/DOcTL.htm

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Es5YByvPbWXsgXYEICZdxSon5mYNB2KVTnFhtw6otZLsiJanCkXD22YjicXp5s3