1 2 3
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/10 5:21 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: I haven't played paintball in a while. I want to play- my BT Delta Elite is collecting dust right now- but none of my friends are around and I would feel kind of funny showing up to a scenario game all by my lonesome. One of my friends had land in the boonies of NH where we would play every once in a while. It was a lot of fun.

DO IT! show up as a total unknown, and have a blast, meet new people, if you're single you never know where that will lead to, . Senario players ROCK! Last scenario I went to there was a 11 year old kid who was using RENTAL gear, after watching him play for half the day, and when we took a break for lunch, one of the guys there went over and talked to this kids dad about lending him some gear, guy handed the kid an 08 alien, rotor hopper and a 45/45 carbon tank, you wanna talk about a E36 M3 eating grin? holy cow, I dunno if I could have done it, but it was awesome to see. Not to mention at the awards ceremony they collected up all the door prize gear and handed it to the same kid.

Spinout007
1/18/10 5:24 p.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: i see a lot of you play, but i was thinking about getting into paintball in 06, but someone talked me into aisrsoft instead and its better and i think cheaper for ammo at least and the guns look cooler, but thats just my 2 cents worth.

BAH 2 guys I used to play with sold off their gear and went that route. I only have one thing to say, "didn't your mom ever tell you that you could put someone's eye out with a BB gun?", I remember playing "war" as a kid with BB guns, (yeah, stupid I know) a friend of mine last I heard still had a BB stuck under the skin on his forehead from a lucky shot... No thanks, I'll stick to balls that are nearly 3/4 of an inch, and that are designed to break on impact.

924guy
924guy Dork
1/18/10 8:32 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
RossD wrote: Yup, playing woodsball is even more fun when you can wear snow gear.
Untill the paint freeze's and punches a hole in your snow gear! Seriously freezing temps and Co2 are not good things. If the marker injests a bit of liquid Co2 and has a chance to sit in the reg and expand, you get a heck of alot more velocity on that shot. Add the afore mentioned frozen paint, and well lets just say it sucks.

Unless your paintball gun is designed to run liquid... I still regret selling my Icon Z1... (not the crap gun they sell today, but a real montneel designs version) . I can set my vm 68 up for liquid as well, and i had a few tippmanns that weren't afraid of liquid co2 either.

Id run liquid co2 with a siphon tank every winter when i lived in cold country, they were awesome below 40 degrees, and snow games were the best! that and skiing are the only thing snow is good for in my book, besides pretty pictures.. :)

I like real paintball, not the short field spray and pray mockery that passes for popular paintball today.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/18/10 9:49 p.m.

Any one use an Army Alpha Black (M-4 looking marker)? I think I might just get a basic starter kit and find some guys to go with.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
1/18/10 10:01 p.m.

The minimum to play, any cheap pnuematic gun (I'm partial to Spyders myself, and their Victor series is only like $75 brand new), a mask, hopper, and C02 tank. You can be at the field for less than $100. Ebay has some great deals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2009-Spyder-Victor-Paintball-Gun-MEGA-Package_W0QQitemZ130355475014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e59cab246

This is an ok deal. You don't need that Pod pack, which probably adds some money. But it doesn't hurt to have it either.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
1/18/10 10:08 p.m.

^^That's not bad at all. Didn't realise gear was so afordable.

I've been paintballing only the once, with my cousin and a bunch of his professional, competition-level friends. Absolutely got my ass handed to me, but still had a ball. I'd love to try some of the scenario games you guys are talking about.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
1/18/10 10:36 p.m.

That's something I love about paintball. I think it's a lot more random than many other sports. I've stomped pro's before, and in turn been stomped by kids. Any game can usually end anyway. I've never done a scenario game, but I want too. And that price is a name brand. You can go to walmart and get a clone of that gun for less, but I can't say anything about how reliable it will be though.

Spinout007
1/19/10 9:51 a.m.

The short field stuff is great if you have the cash to blow on tons of paint, if not play a front position or just concentrate on making your shots count. Personally I love it, normally I play back left, but to really berkley with peoples minds sometimes I switch it up to a mid or front position, nothing like a 250lb guy making center 50 on the break to really screw with people.

Neon, the Alpha black is a dressed up Tippman 98, ROCK SOLID marker, you can throw it in the dirt, dive into a snow bank, etc, and as long as it can still cock itself, it WILL fire. That being said, if you're gonna look into spending the money on an alpha black, look into a used A-5 off CL, or it's like. A-5's can be modded to look like anything, have the cyclone feed system, and are just as rock solid as the 98. Find one with a response trigger, and you are ready to go, no matter the weather. I've seen video of an A-5 being fired underwater, pure mechanical awesomeness. The other benefit/drawback of the A-5/98 is that it is LOUD, great for intimidation, not so great for hiding.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
1/19/10 9:52 a.m.

you can get real expensive but buying used you can find great deals... is where the real expense comes is paint... especialy if you spray and pray lol...

donalson
donalson SuperDork
1/19/10 10:15 a.m.

...side note... no one has mentioned how they like to be the "sniper" ;-)

Spinout007
1/19/10 3:13 p.m.

Heh, yeah I think everyone goes through that "phase". I played with one guy that swore he was the best at it, unfortunately that's all he would do in a woods game, go off on his own and then cry when he got cornered by a group working and sweeping as a team. SWORE by his A-5, and don't get me wrong it was an accurate set-up, he even went through the trouble of sighting in a 1X scope for about 30 yards, BUT the A-5 is LOUD...gives your position away almost every time. I went through the whole sniper phase when I first started playing, even made my own gillie suit, home built a silencer for my SP-8, with a 20$ 18inch barrel I snagged off CL, it was quiet, and when you had a team that knew what you were doing and how to work with you, it worked especially well. Still do it during senario's occasionally, normally I just put teams together to run missions though, but if you want some time alone, and quiet, there's nothing like sniping. And if you're really good, you get to see the enemy generals running and hiding as they go down one after another.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
1/19/10 8:25 p.m.
donalson wrote: ...side note... no one has mentioned how they like to be the "sniper" ;-)

I hear you there, I work at my friends shop from time to time on saturday and get the kids that want a rifled 22" barrel. You can see their hearts sink slightly when you tell them what the downside of rifling in a paintball gun is, and that length doesn't equal range for paintball.

Andrew

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
1/19/10 8:32 p.m.
Drewsifer wrote: Digdug, did you just say 99$ for a case of paint? I would laugh in their faces. I've been lucky and never played anywhere that was to insane. Kinda makes me sad how much more it costs to play any more. I remember getting dropped off as a kid with 60$ in my pocket and told my mom would be back in a 3 hours and I'd better have change!

Yeah, upstate PA, its called Skirmish USA, they have a couple of side businesses as well. They are only 3 hours from philly and 1.5 from NYC, which is where alot of their players come from. They charge $99 a case, and usually pay $27 a case, quite a markup per case. They have 120 acres of various fields, mostly woods, and you can see 300-500 people on a given monday-friday and 1000+ each day on the weekend. So figure a case every 2 people, with somepeople going through 2 cases by themselves, yeah, lots of money. They pay their refs $8 an hour, and only have 2 refs per group, whether that group is 100 people or 10 people, doesn't matter to them.

Smart Parts, does make good guns, the ION and SP8 are built using the same technology, are easy to work on and are not designed by smart parts, they bought the design from another person. And since they are going bankrupt, the guns are getting cheaper and cheaper, I saw an ION on ebay for $50 the other day, its a hell of a deal, provided you already have a compressed air tank to run it on.

And if you think paintball or cars are expensive, try radio controlled cars, phew....

Andrew

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
1/19/10 9:55 p.m.
donalson wrote: ...side note... no one has mentioned how they like to be the "sniper" ;-)

I never got into that "sniping" stuff with paintball. It just never made sense to me to pay money to play, and then go hide, barely shoot, and in general not interact with the other people playing (except to shoot someone every once and awhile). Bah I say!

Like many things, paintball is only expensive as you let it be. I prefer to play normal games, and I can usually make a case last 4-6 hours (which to me is plenty long enough). Towards the end I just go wild and waste all my paint. Then again I watch kids go through case after case and they aren't even getting that many people out.

Spinout007
1/20/10 5:53 a.m.

I've watched a 13 year old at a Bday party run his spider on full auto, and literally go through 3 cases in about 4 hours.......absolutely freaking nuts, his mom put her foot down on the last one, "you need to make this one last".

924guy
924guy Dork
1/20/10 9:59 a.m.
digdug18 wrote:
I hear you there, I work at my friends shop from time to time on saturday and get the kids that want a rifled 22" barrel. You can see their hearts sink slightly when you tell them what the downside of rifling in a paintball gun is, and that length doesn't equal range for paintball.(: Andrew

The only thing a 22" barrel will get you is 12" closer to the target than a ten inch barrel ... riffled or not...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/10 10:25 a.m.

I played once as part of my Brother's Bachelor Party weekend. Just a bunch of guys drinking beer and shooting each other, but we went to a cool place just outside of Vail, CO. While dialing in at the target range, we asked the guy who owned the place to join us to make the teams even. He said that wouldn't really be fair and then raised his gun over his head and let loose about 300 shots in a second and everyone hit a target. Ah, I see.

Spinout007
1/20/10 12:52 p.m.
924guy wrote:
digdug18 wrote:
I hear you there, I work at my friends shop from time to time on saturday and get the kids that want a rifled 22" barrel. You can see their hearts sink slightly when you tell them what the downside of rifling in a paintball gun is, and that length doesn't equal range for paintball.(: Andrew
The only thing a 22" barrel will get you is 12" closer to the target than a ten inch barrel ... riffled or not...

That and you go through more air, I loaned a friend a 14 inch all american front for his marker, and he actually had to turn up the reg to get consistent 280fps out of it over his 10inch.

The only reason I went with an 18inch barrel for my silencer setup is for the extra room to build the silencer around the barrel.

WilD
WilD Reader
1/20/10 1:38 p.m.

Because I like to show off my toys...

Spinout007
1/20/10 1:50 p.m.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm wanting to snag a cheap pump to turn into a remington 870 clone. ala I figure that should scare the kiddies at the field.

WilD
WilD Reader
1/20/10 2:08 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: I'm wanting to snag a cheap pump to turn into a remington 870 clone. I figure that should scare the kiddies at the field.

They aren't cheap, but there was a pretty convincing shotgun style marker called the DSG created in limited numbers recently that looks a LOT like an 870. They look almost too real for my taste. I try to steer away from the really realistic "milsim" looking stuff, although I can see how the marker I posted above could be confused with a real firearm.

I should also point out (because it is hard to tell from the angle of the photo) that the marker I posted is a double barrel, somewhat like a shotgun I guess.

Spinout007
1/20/10 2:40 p.m.

I kinda figured from the dual feed ports, looks sweet though.

If you're smart, and you own the realistic looking gear you keep it in your trunk and not in the cab of the car with you. No tank attached and no hopper attached, I caught a load of crap from a cop when I first started playing, cause my gear was in the back seat, tank and hopper still attached, no gas or paint in it, but he still gave me crap about hooligans and paintball markers.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
1/21/10 12:54 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
RexSeven wrote: I haven't played paintball in a while. I want to play- my BT Delta Elite is collecting dust right now- but none of my friends are around and I would feel kind of funny showing up to a scenario game all by my lonesome. One of my friends had land in the boonies of NH where we would play every once in a while. It was a lot of fun.
DO IT! show up as a total unknown, and have a blast, meet new people, if you're single you never know where that will lead to, . Senario players ROCK! Last scenario I went to there was a 11 year old kid who was using RENTAL gear, after watching him play for half the day, and when we took a break for lunch, one of the guys there went over and talked to this kids dad about lending him some gear, guy handed the kid an 08 alien, rotor hopper and a 45/45 carbon tank, you wanna talk about a E36 M3 eating grin? holy cow, I dunno if I could have done it, but it was awesome to see. Not to mention at the awards ceremony they collected up all the door prize gear and handed it to the same kid.

I should. The Beast is getting hungry:

Not mine, but looks exactly like it. The Delta Elite is the opposite of a sniper- it has poor accuracy at range but even on semi-auto mode I can put a metric E36 M3-ton of paint in the air. Fully auto is 13 rounds per second . I've taken a few tumbles with it too and it keeps on truckin'. I'm going to get a Lapco barrel to increase the accuracy at range somewhat and a Tippmann X7 hopper to lower the profile. Otherwise, it's awesome as-is.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
1/21/10 1:44 a.m.

I bought a Spyder Custom of some type when I was 14. They had just discontinued them and I snagged one from Dick's Sporting Goods for about $75. Not the best gun out there, but I didn't have money for anything crazy.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
1/21/10 4:11 p.m.

accuracy is all about paint to barrel match... good consistant (ie round and same sized) paint + a good barrel match where you can put the paint into the end of the barrel and blow it out fairly easily is about perfect...

good paint makes a HUGE difference... prob is it's expensive :(

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iqgcPsfYTr8yCB3Bc9xE7EiF16Bx01YPUPrzV0vtvfbdD8EN72yEdFN1YGADxjLo