scardeal
scardeal Reader
4/15/10 7:49 a.m.

So I finally sold off my winter beater, a 98 Jetta.

After my "Does it exist?" thread, I've decided that a 90's 3-series sedan or 5-series sedan w/ a manual transmission is just about perfect for my needs and wants.

So, I've been trolling Craigslist. I use the following query to try and root out unmentionables:
BMW (spd | speed | stick | manual )
This should, theoretically, only yield BMWs with manual transmissions, right?!? Well, just about every single one is a bleeping automatic with "Autostick" or "manual mode"...

Grr.....

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/15/10 7:51 a.m.

Try SearchTempests advanced search - it was pretty good at eliminating all the super, club and access cabs when I was looking for a crew truck.

billy3esq
billy3esq SuperDork
4/15/10 8:05 a.m.

You can add something like (-auto -automatic -slushbox) to adjust that. That has the potential to exclude legitimate hits if someone who mentioned automatic climate control, for example.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/15/10 8:12 a.m.
scardeal wrote: This should, theoretically, only yield BMWs with manual transmissions, right?!? Well, just about every single one is a bleeping automatic with "Autostick" or "manual mode"... Grr.....

Unfortunately true. Conversely, I also find a number of cars listed as 'automatic' where the photos clearly show 3 pedals. Don't get me started on the number of "V-6" equipped e36 cars on Craigslist and Autotrader, including many with 318 badges on the rear decklid.

For extra frustration, try searching for Z4 Coupes and see how many have cloth tops - including listings by BMW dealers.

The right car will turn up eventually, but it requires a boatload of patience.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
4/15/10 2:45 p.m.

Try looking for an (E36) M3 and see how many "M3 clone" or "M3 conversion" or "M3 bodykit" cars you have to wade through - not to mention the ones that outright lie and call it an M3 when clearly it is anything but.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
4/15/10 4:10 p.m.

What grinds me are the ads with 100 key words added that have nothing to do with your search. I don't want a body kit for a Civic if I searching for a Volvo wagon!!

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
4/15/10 5:05 p.m.

search in the non-dealer sections. I find that the dealer will have no idea what a car has, hence the V6 3 series and Wranglers and the wranglers advertised as "4X4" as if there were any 2WD Wranglers. Plus my skin gets all itchy when I talk to a dealer.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/15/10 10:32 p.m.

The new Wrangler is available in RWD...Jus' Sayin'

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
4/15/10 10:41 p.m.

www.autotrader.com has advance search functions that will let you search only manual trans.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/15/10 10:56 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: www.autotrader.com has advance search functions that will let you search only manual trans.

And yet when I look for a manual transmission minivan (don't judge me) I come up with Ford Windstars, late-model Dodge products, and Toyota Sienna's.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
4/15/10 11:37 p.m.
mtn wrote:
jrw1621 wrote: www.autotrader.com has advance search functions that will let you search only manual trans.
And yet when I look for a manual transmission minivan (don't judge me) I come up with Ford Windstars, late-model Dodge products, and Toyota Sienna's.

I saw a stick shift Caravan once about 15 years ago.....

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/15/10 11:47 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
mtn wrote:
I saw a stick shift Caravan once about 15 years ago.....

I'm assuming it was one of the originals though...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ISTOpZHoWe5oZHoN2Ynb54jjLXesSVtgnRa8cDvvsBMZH9fZd7ng9q14SyPoJ6g8