mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/08 5:30 p.m.

Ok, so my saab is looking decent, but still has that small problem with the transmission (no reverse) I tried to replace it myself, but gave up when the first bolt I tried to undo on the subframe split the socket I had on the bolt..

So I dropped it off last night at a mechanic I trust to do things I can't or won't do.

This morning I get a call.. he won't do it either. Seems he thought all I wanted was a gear oil change. Saab's scare him and he won't drop the trans... calling around, I can't get anybody else to do it either.

So, while I am out and about looking for somebody to do it, I decide to see about that last old tyre on my Ti. I have been meaning to replace it and it is looking pretty smooth.. I can't get one of those until NEXT friday. Damn my love of high performance Summer Rubber.

So, I am sitting on the side of the road, talking on my cell phone to one of the few mechanics that even bothered to get back to me on the saab transmission.. when on pops the little light that tells me to replace the brake pads on the Bimmer.

Somedays it is not worth owning a car or two

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/8/08 2:57 a.m.

At one point I owned 3 cars and a motorcycle....I've been broke for years as a result of that kind of lifestyle. Incredibly, nothing broke on any of them while I was living this automotive high life.

As a sort of side note, I have come to the conclusion...over the years, that when you want a particular brand and/or size of tire, it is never in stock. The last pair of tires I bought was to match-up a pair on the front of a '98 Civic. I specified a particular brand and model of tire when I went to the store, and they put them on. But unbeknownst to me, they used a different size than the other 2 tires they were supposed to be matching. Why? They couldn't locate the necessary size (185/ 65 x 14) so they substituted with 2 195/60 x 14s.

Saabs, the Scandinavian (sp?) answer to the Citroen brand.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
8/8/08 10:44 a.m.

It all happens in three's ... Two weeks ago deer ran into the side of the daily driver (small dent, drivers fender) ... Last week I had an off road excursion and bent a wheel badly (tire de-beaded but fine) ... Yesterday at work co-worker backs into my tailight (dented hatch, busted light housing)...

it's just the way it is.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
8/8/08 1:02 p.m.

With my z-car things come in tens. Fix one thing, find ten more things that need fixing in the process.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/08 5:02 p.m.

well, short of taking it to the one and only saab dealer for 50 miles.. nobody in my area will even consider looking at my Saab. The one and only foreign car place does not even answer their phone and they do not seem to be inclined to return voice mail.

What is it about saabs that scare people? I can see where the "classic 900" would scare people with the transmission situated UNDER the engine.. but mine is an NG 900 with the classic Transverse setup.

Looks like I am doing it myself.. should take me about 2 weeks with as little time as I have

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jePYb3lrlBuUac16EEQw1zhKROnkuy98cceUhTOMGmT0YfcjOKW5xnM6RZNRo7Gr