captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/19 4:04 p.m.

6 rounds, split decision winner, first amateur bout after 8 months of working out and sparing at the spot about 2 miles from the house. Next fight would be a paid gig, berkeley no, ya'll can have that. My core has never been more sore and exhausted. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/17/19 5:32 p.m.

Undefeated!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/17/19 7:25 p.m.

I used to box growing up. Not doing it as an adult. Nope! 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/17/19 7:47 p.m.

While I think that if two adult men wish to beat one another until one has brain damage, they should be allowed to do that, I don't think it is something that we should encourage.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/19 8:37 p.m.

I sparred with a friend who was a pretty good amateur. He would just play with me and tap me now and then.  But when you fight the same guy all the time you get to know his style and it got so I could land the odd punch every now and then. So one day I landed one that actually hurt him a bit and he let me have it. Two punches and I was flat on my back with a badly smashed nose. I still breath funny 25 years later. That was the end of that. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 10:12 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Just a couple years ago I was doing a burnout in my M3 to celebrate you not dying.  Now you’re a (retired?) prizefighter.  I think I’ll go do a burnout in the Sonoma to celebrate *that*!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/17/19 11:02 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to captdownshift :

Just a couple years ago I was doing a burnout in my M3 to celebrate you not dying.  Now you’re a (retired?) prizefighter.  I think I’ll go do a burnout in the Sonoma to celebrate *that*!

I was thinking "Wasn't he having serious medical issues a while back?"

We used to box in my friends basement as teenagers. Being the shortest one I had the shortest reach and stopped doing that pretty quick.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/17/19 11:22 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Yeah the whole not supposed to be here aspect prompts some questionable decisions

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
8/18/19 12:52 a.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

Yeah the whole not supposed to be here aspect prompts some questionable decisions

Can confirm.
Surviving an attempt to walk off a ruptured spleen lead directly to my buying a miata once I escaped the hospital.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/18/19 8:50 a.m.

Yea, I'm not supposed to be here either, at least 3 times so far and certainly made some questionable decisions especially during the "brain fog" period of Lyme.  I've done the ruptured spleen thing and tried to avoid doctors for 2 days while my abdomen bloated with blood. Extreme pain! Heart attack & stent surgery is a piece of cake compared with ruptured spleen.

Probably best to retire from boxing Capt.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/18/19 10:48 a.m.

You're an animal! Didn't you just survive the most lethal form of cancer there is?

I very, seriously respect your "berkeley it" attitude!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/18/19 3:02 p.m.

I'd suspect brain damage, but I have no idea what could cause one to make the decision to get into the ring BEFORE getting hit in the head.

I got nothin'.

Congrats!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jHAjabBFfs7JLXYMWOwOZ3JMrTqW4uXIi5hfxAkYSUvbwXmDQHLJe8Mwefqau7nF