GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/08 11:44 a.m.

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/multimedia/2008/06/gallery_test_tracks?slide=1&slideView=9

Be sure to check out the link for more pics from the Volvo test track...especially the mailbox

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
6/20/08 3:06 p.m.

i flew over the volvo facility about a week ago on the way from san diego to houston. i was wondering why someone would build two long straights like that with two big loops at each end. it was hard to make out the rest of it, from the air it looked like it hadn't been used in a while and the pavement had been covered up by blown sand

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/20/08 5:23 p.m.

They missed this place:

Track near California City

No idea who's it is, but it is pretty basic. It is north of California City, which is near Mohave CA.

edit:

In looking at it, it may be a motorcycle manufacturer test track. It has a rather extensive dirt bike track in the infield which looks way to extreme for trucks.

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
6/20/08 5:39 p.m.

I'm looking at the smaller diameter circles for the Volvo test track . . . .hmmmmm . . .I wonder if I can hold those sideways without shallowing out or spinning . . .the mind boggles . . .

-Stig

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/20/08 8:30 p.m.

I remember seeing that place in Mohave on Google Earth...IIRC there were some things that looked like cars on it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/08 8:41 p.m.

I've driven on the first five! I rule!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver New Reader
6/20/08 8:53 p.m.

Honda TRC, near marysville OH (pin "A" on the map) http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=honda+TRC,+marysville,+oh&ie=UTF8&ll=40.312127,-83.534889&spn=0.060213,0.147629&t=h&z=13&layer=c&cbll=40.312127,-83.534889 ive driven on the VDA there in a FSAE car (the big ocean of asphault in the middle)

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
6/21/08 4:23 p.m.

i have gooten to race at the old amc proveing grounds outside of burliton,wi for an autocross on the skidpad a couple of times.....

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/21/08 6:21 p.m.

Holy crap. Take a look at GM's milford proving grounds here

They have no excuse for some of the mediocre stuff they put out.

jg

Black Stig
Black Stig New Reader
6/21/08 11:57 p.m.

Yes they do, American's aren't concerned with build quality or handling, they want power, bigness, and cost that allows for a disposable vehicle. The shift may now be towards gas efficiency, but looking at the number of SUV's on the road, I'm willing to bet that many don't care about that either.

-Stig

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ehYYCJkGKfWoe7uejvOr5CtxOTEiPvLetlxwBI4TfrxrDWFXbBOyNWZctfwV6716