1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/08 7:56 a.m.

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/multimedia/2008/06/gallery_apocalypsemobile?slide=1&slideView=2

Arm yourselves with knowledge...

I think the Hilux (Straight WVO, HELLO?), Sammy and Land Rover Defender series deserve honorable mentions.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/08 9:52 a.m.

Consider Africa. It's probably as close as we'll come to post-apocalyptic conditions, pre-apocalypse. And what survives there? Old Land Rovers and Beetles. So Wired got one out of two, and they weren't that far off with the FJ40.

I'm pretty sure Jalopnik went through this same list about 4 months ago.

Pretty VW concept car? Whatever.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/08 10:18 a.m.

Oh actually they did...you might say it's even less realistic though, a lot of military vehicles, custom vehicles and other stuff that would be very hard to get in a survival situation.

http://jalopnik.com/360213/the-ten-best-post+apocalyptic-survival-vehicles

The VW concept would be frickin' awesome for a few weeks, until you take a landing a little too hard when the gas theives are on your tail and break something...then you'd have a nice art piece at best.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/18/08 10:37 a.m.

No '70's-era rhd falcon, no care.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/18/08 10:37 a.m.

I could understand putting a bicycle on the list (and really, it's probably the best choice of all), but a unicycle? For motor vehicles, I'd throw in a Model T Ford - runs on any cheap gas, no electrical system, built for rough roads, and designed to be fixed by someone who's never seen an automobile before.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/18/08 11:37 a.m.

Mil spec KLR650 deisel w/ veg oil80 mpg on fryer grease

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/18/08 11:55 a.m.

Must have been a slow day at the wired office, that list sucks. Needless to say, it looks like us GRM'ers would overtake the wired folks and steal any of the useful gear they have in short order. ;)

Bryce

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/18/08 12:02 p.m.

didn't they read THE survival guild, zombies have no fear, so mass wont help intimidated them

edit the jalopnic list SUCKS, will any of those get over 10 mpg?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
6/18/08 12:22 p.m.

Sorry, but no post apocalypse vehicles with computers allowed. The electromagnetic pulse accompanying a nuclear blast will wipe out all the ROM in an automotive computer. So all post apocalypse vehicles should have points ignition, carburetion and/or mechanical fuel injection.

You can't pick your apocalypse so you gotta be prepared for any eventuality.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/18/08 12:24 p.m.

Dirt bikes will be the order of the day post-apocalypse. Oh, and those goofy helicopter/ultralight things. And spikey football pads...

You heard it here first, don't be left unprepared.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
6/18/08 12:29 p.m.

The unimog or the Jeep would be the best thing on the list. They are both very, very common, so you could easily get parts.

edit: The unimog has enough ground clearance to go over walls of dead zombies, too.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
6/18/08 12:54 p.m.

An Isuzu diesel swapped 4x4 Tahoe or a Suburban, please!

Though cramming a diesel into an FJ would be the bee's knees.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb Reader
6/18/08 12:56 p.m.
The Interceptor: Last of the V8 Interceptors, eh?" Not everyone is lucky enough to be an Aussie ex-cop with access to a garage containing one of these, but if you're handy with the steel you might be able to smoke the guy who is.

Funny line

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
6/18/08 1:17 p.m.

M151a "Mutt"

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/18/08 1:23 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: An Isuzu diesel swapped 4x4 Tahoe or a Suburban, please! Though cramming a diesel into an FJ would be the bee's knees.

there was a shop doing duramax conversions into suburbans about a year ago when I last checked.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/18/08 1:37 p.m.

Wait a minute - post-apocalypse vehicles that don't include this?

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/18/08 1:47 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: I do own number 3 on the list and can vouch for the Ural going anywhere including 2 feet of snow.

That one seemed like the most practical to me. Anything engineered to survive Russian winters is pretty tough to kill.

My dad's CJ-6 (airplane) is that way. Okay, technically it's a Chinese airplane, but most of the designs and engineering were taken from the Yak. The craziest thing about it is how many systems are operated by compressed air. The starter, brakes, and flaps are all air powered. The simple reason is that it's what they could think of that wouldn't be rendered inoperable by super-low temperatures.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
6/18/08 2:15 p.m.
Salanis wrote: The starter, brakes, and flaps are all air powered. The simple reason is that it's what they could think of that wouldn't be rendered inoperable by super-low temperatures.

....and leaks. It takes a huge leak (broken line) to make an air system inoperable, compared to a hydraulic system that will eventually run out of fluid even with a small leak. Plus, air systems are really cheap to make compared to hydraulic or electric units for many applications.

Bryce

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
6/18/08 2:24 p.m.

Post-Apocalyptic Vehicles????

Anything Keith Richards is driving.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
6/18/08 2:28 p.m.

Diesel, baby. Diesel:

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
6/18/08 4:46 p.m.

Bad List. No Citroën 2CV

Any 2CV, (but especially a Dakar-prepped one) will be the The Last Surviving Car.

A 2CV is a cockroach

A Peugeot ~504 Diesel~ wouldn't be bad either

Luke
Luke HalfDork
6/18/08 11:31 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Anything engineered to survive Russian winters is pretty tough to kill.

Which is exactly why the humble Lada Niva gets my vote.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/19/08 10:37 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Bad List. No Citroën 2CV Any 2CV, (but especially a Dakar-prepped one) will the The Last Surviving Car. A 2CV *is* a cockroach A Peugeot ~504 Diesel~ wouldn't be bad either

I think a Dakar-prepped anything would have a 10 fold greater chance of surviving

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
6/19/08 9:24 p.m.
Keith wrote: Consider Africa. It's probably as close as we'll come to post-apocalyptic conditions, pre-apocalypse. And what survives there? Old Land Rovers and Beetles. So Wired got one out of two, and they weren't that far off with the FJ40. I'm pretty sure Jalopnik went through this same list about 4 months ago. Pretty VW concept car? Whatever.

That just reminded me of the Top Gear episode where the hosts had to drive through Africa in whatever beaters they could find. I know what I'd take with me in a post-apocalyptic scenario: Oliver!

BTW from the article, the Ural kicks ass! I don't really like bikes, but that one looks cool.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/19/08 10:46 p.m.

Reminds me of an article in Rider a few years ago, they covered the 2wd Ural w/ side car, seems they needed a hammer to disengage the 2nd wheel, still would like one

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ZrD2VL82IDeqS1YY0Uk9PaPZRFEOU5sipEjdaipDcvS1Lo6Qx7EzAct1LoWws7s