AngryCorvair said:

Post-op check today, removed the giant cast and checked out the incision:

Your doctor cut outside the lines. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/19 6:30 p.m.
codrus said:
wheelsmithy said:

Second, Can you describe the symptoms you had. I have been having numbness/ shooting electric shock like you hit your funnybone pain in my hands, and would like details on your experience. 

Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve_entrapment

I get this sometimes -- doctor suggested topical NSAIDs and sleeping with an elbow brace (stops you from bending your elbow while sleeping).  Seems to work.

I'm glad Angry is on the mend, AND,I have some observations to add.

My numbness/ hands asleep symptoms have been getting incrementally worse for years, with "unbearable" roughly coinciding with this thread's appearance (further proof GRM knows all). Painting (with a paintbrush) or writhing has been the worst. 

For years, I have jiggled those Chinese balls, bent my fingers back, and done exercises for relief. 

My girlfriend gave me a wrist brace 3 nights ago, and I have gone from useless to mild but constant numbness. I'm going to get to a doctor after NYE.

A sincere thanks to everyone who commented. I am a stubborn idiot, and this thread is a ray of hope.

The brace is kind of like this:

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/23/19 7:17 p.m.

The $15 cock-up wrist brace at wally world is 95% as effective as the thousand dollar (all in) brace from the PT/MD's.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/19 7:41 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:
codrus said:
wheelsmithy said:

Second, Can you describe the symptoms you had. I have been having numbness/ shooting electric shock like you hit your funnybone pain in my hands, and would like details on your experience. 

Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulnar_nerve_entrapment

I get this sometimes -- doctor suggested topical NSAIDs and sleeping with an elbow brace (stops you from bending your elbow while sleeping).  Seems to work.

I'm glad Angry is on the mend, AND,I have some observations to add.

My numbness/ hands asleep symptoms have been getting incrementally worse for years, with "unbearable" roughly coinciding with this thread's appearance (further proof GRM knows all). Painting (with a paintbrush) or writhing has been the worst. 

For years, I have jiggled those Chinese balls, bent my fingers back, and done exercises for relief. 

My girlfriend gave me a wrist brace 3 nights ago, and I have gone from useless to mild but constant numbness. I'm going to get to a doctor after NYE.

A sincere thanks to everyone who commented. I am a stubborn idiot, and this thread is a ray of hope.

The brace is kind of like this:

I used that brace for a while. It helped a bit, but I'm really happy that I had the surgery.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/23/19 8:07 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Right?!?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/20 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Yep.

AngryCorvair
1/2/20 7:55 p.m.

Update 1/2/20:

16 days in a cast is long enough. This morning they cut off the cast and I got to wash my hand with hot water. Such a simple pleasure, but so welcome. Then they removed the stitches and applied "steri-strips" across the incision to help with scar formation (scar isn't fully formed at top of incision). In a soft splint for another week, then PT starts 1/13.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/20 5:42 p.m.

Just saw this now.  I'm glad it went well for you.  Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

I had gum graft surgery done beginning of Dec, which was pretty miserable for a week or so.  All better now, and the results look great.  That's all you could hope for!

AngryCorvair
1/9/20 6:02 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Thanks man! The scar is not fully formed yet but it is progressing nicely. Also:

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/9/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

So cool!

AngryCorvair
2/2/20 1:51 p.m.

Update 2/2/20

After 7 weeks, the incision scar looks like this:

And it's pretty much 100% functional, although strength is still coming back and there are a couple of common things that make me wince. For example, today I tried to lift a small sauce pan (full) and the wrist said "no uh-uh". Rolling a bar of soap also aggravates my pinkie a little, but it's getting better.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/2/20 2:25 p.m.

What did they do in there? Cut tendons? Cadaver parts? Layman's terms. please.

Glad to see you're on the mend.

AngryCorvair
2/2/20 2:51 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

my procedure was "open" rather than endoscopic, but the goal is the same. The transverse carpal ligament is cut, to relieve pressure on the median nerve.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/8/20 1:18 p.m.

I am reviving this thread to first, wish Angry well-how's it going fella?

Second, I'd like to share my story for posterity, as this thread has been very helpful for me.

I went to the neurologist a few weeks ago, where I was diagnosed with "mild to severe" carpal tunnel syndrome.

To test, they put little sticky electrodes on my wrist, and hit me with electricity at various points up my arm. Basically, it was them testing wiring. Send a jolt through one end, and measure the signal at the other. The shock was mild, but sort of unpleasant in that someone else is making your muscles jump. Kind of like being hit in the funny bone. 

Next, the doctor inserted a needle in my hands, arms, neck and upper back, and sent a mild charge through it. Again, not painful, but not really fun, either. 

For me, surgery is suggested. I'll do it ASAP.

Thanks for the description, Angry. I couldn't get my mind around how cutting tendons could possibly make the situation better. 

AngryCorvair
3/8/20 1:43 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

12 weeks post-op, my hand is pretty much 100%.  Occasionally I'll lift something that loads the wrist funny and I'll have to set it down and adjust my grip, but it's mostly all good.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
3/8/20 8:46 p.m.

Hey Corvair Man. I'm happy to hear the surgery went well. All the best!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rgP9WrQAdrgKYOO1PX53Dd924f7LOvNzxP5UE9iAJrAPSj3FDX6GgkH9yOCr4odp