seann
seann New Reader
7/7/08 10:13 a.m.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/automobiles/06TROOPER.html

Just cause

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/7/08 10:32 a.m.

My mother was almost killed by one of those during WWII in the Netherlands. She and her cousins were in town. A car powered by one of those things burning wood was trying to cross the railroad tracks and the thing died right on the tracks. The train hit the car, sending it into the group of girls and killing my mother's cousin.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/7/08 11:56 a.m.

Did anyone else notice the fart can?

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/7/08 1:35 p.m.

Kinda like this, but not...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/08 1:56 p.m.

If you put fresh cut wood into those could they be called the Green Movement?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/7/08 3:07 p.m.

i'd say no, what you posted appears to run on steam produced from a wood fired boiler. this guys truck gassifies the wood to create something the truck can burn in the engine like gasoline.

this is more like when on mythbusters they unhooked the fuel line to the carb and just vented propane or acetylene near the carb intake.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/7/08 3:22 p.m.

How does a 2400-degree furnace produce hydrogen without burning it before it can be collected and used in the engine?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/7/08 3:46 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: How does a 2400-degree furnace produce hydrogen without burning it before it can be collected and used in the engine?

no oxygen = no combustion

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/7/08 4:15 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: i'd say no, what you posted appears to run on steam produced from a wood fired boiler. this guys truck gassifies the wood to create something the truck can burn in the engine like gasoline. this is more like when on mythbusters they unhooked the fuel line to the carb and just vented propane or acetylene near the carb intake.

That's why I said "not". The steam engine is a early 1900's Port Huron model, about 25-30 horsepower, mounted on a early '70's C50 chassis. But hey, it's a wood-powered (or coal, or tires, when the wood doesn't want to light) vehicle.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/7/08 4:30 p.m.

aha, i thought you meant a steam engine in a truck chassis, but not looking like a train. carry on

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z8CIefLxG6d4jMkevuesYDr37LJcSMDH6388qaxRjvXBPAYBmrhQ5Vxa6o0BSYUc