bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/23/19 6:51 p.m.

I’m officially (unofficial) an iPhone repairer. Popped a new battery into the wife’s 6. And it works!

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/23/19 7:14 p.m.

Apple uses some hellish glue on that battery, Didn't they?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 7:50 p.m.

Just did an iPhone 5 for an Aunt visiting from the Philippines.  The ifixit.com kit was very nice since it included tools I didn’t have.

This is the fourth battery it’s had since new.  Two were installed by Apple (battery recall).

Looking at my 7 and another family member’s 6, I can’t imagine it is ANY fun on the newer models!

Good job!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/23/19 10:06 p.m.

YOU FOOL!

Now you have to keep using it.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/23/19 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Exactly. That's how they get you.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/19 11:07 p.m.

I'm going to try replacing the battery in my Droid turbo soon.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/24/19 6:22 a.m.

In reply to noodle :

Yes and no. If it pulls out like designed it’s not bad. One side did. One side didn’t. Just took a little extra persuasion with the tools I got in the kit. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/24/19 6:24 a.m.
Appleseed said:

YOU FOOL!

Now you have to keep using it.

I’m ok with it. It was the wife’s anyway. Mine got the $29 apple replacement back in December. We buy used and run them until they’re no longer supported then sell them and buy the next model still supported used. Much cheaper. We both like iOS so it’s the cheapest way to have phones we like and use. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/24/19 6:42 a.m.

I did a full touchscreen replacement on DD#2's iPhone 6S and was surprised at how easy it was.  Worked for years after that.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/24/19 7:53 a.m.

Mrs. Poop’s has needed replacing for a month now, but I’m trying to convince her she should just get a new phone, as trying to replace it myself would inevitably end up involving a sledgehammer and fire.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/24/19 8:20 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

It's really not that hard. The hardest part for me was getting my ham fists to manipulate the world's tiniest screws.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/24/19 8:33 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to poopshovel again :

It's really not that hard. The hardest part for me was getting my ham fists to manipulate the world's tiniest screws.

True.  Simple battery replacement is very straightforward and eminently do-able by any GRM'er.  There are some very good kits sold on Amazon (and elsewhere, I'm sure).  A tutorial for your exact phone exists on youtube.

Now bringing an iphone back from a watery dunking death is another matter.  Not for the faint of heart.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/19 9:16 a.m.

Does this apply to iPod Touches as well? I've got a 7th gen that I used in my Jeep. I removed it from the Jeep when cleaning it out to be sold and haven't plugged it in in about 4 months. I found it again a few days ago but I cannot get it to turn on. It shows the Apple logo like its starting up but then the screen goes blank. I have had it plugged in for 3 days now but it still does the same thing. I replaced the charge cable because I thought it was bad but it still doesn't startup or show the charge screen when its plugged in.

Bad battery? Charge port toast? Is it bricked? This is my only Apple device so I'm not super familiar with them.

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
4/24/19 9:32 a.m.

Speaking of iPhones, my wife has the X, it fell off the couch with a case but the top left of the screen is black. Warranty company says it's "defective" so since the screen isn't cracked they won't fix, just replace. Problem with replace, it's $299 through the company. Does that make sense to anyone? I'd assume a screen replacement would solve the problem. but maybe I'm missing something. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/24/19 10:05 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

$21.99 shipped from Amazon for this one. Its a 2200mAh battery compared to the original 1810mAh so maybe it'll last longer?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/24/19 10:27 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

$21.99 shipped from Amazon for this one. Its a 2200mAh battery compared to the original 1810mAh so maybe it'll last longer?

We can hope!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/24/19 10:29 a.m.
thedanimal said:

Speaking of iPhones, my wife has the X, it fell off the couch with a case but the top left of the screen is black. Warranty company says it's "defective" so since the screen isn't cracked they won't fix, just replace. Problem with replace, it's $299 through the company. Does that make sense to anyone? I'd assume a screen replacement would solve the problem. but maybe I'm missing something. 

Screen got borked in the fall?  How is that "defective?"  It's fall damage.

Pretty sure there's no way to fix the screen, so replacement makes sense.  Should fix the problem. 

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
4/24/19 10:34 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

That's what I'm saying. But she was stating that, since the sceen isn't cracked that there's more to it and denied the screen replacement claim and said my only option was to get a new phone through them.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/24/19 10:36 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

Does this apply to iPod Touches as well? I've got a 7th gen that I used in my Jeep. I removed it from the Jeep when cleaning it out to be sold and haven't plugged it in in about 4 months. I found it again a few days ago but I cannot get it to turn on. It shows the Apple logo like its starting up but then the screen goes blank. I have had it plugged in for 3 days now but it still does the same thing. I replaced the charge cable because I thought it was bad but it still doesn't startup or show the charge screen when its plugged in.

Bad battery? Charge port toast? Is it bricked? This is my only Apple device so I'm not super familiar with them.

Could be battery, but with it plugged in for days, I would think it would start up.  Try a hard reset?

All of the iPod battery replacements on Youtube showed de-soldering and soldering, so not quite as easy as the iPhone

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/24/19 10:37 a.m.
thedanimal said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

That's what I'm saying. But she was stating that, since the sceen isn't cracked that there's more to it and denied the screen replacement claim and said my only option was to get a new phone through them.

Sounds like shenanigans to me.

A devious person could conceivably carefully crack the screen and try again? surprise

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
4/24/19 10:56 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I seriously considered that.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/19 8:50 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
stanger_missle said:

Could be battery, but with it plugged in for days, I would think it would start up.  Try a hard reset?

All of the iPod battery replacements on Youtube showed de-soldering and soldering, so not quite as easy as the iPhone

I didn't think I could perform a hard reset since I couldn't get it to power on but I was able to get it into recovery mode and wipe it through iTunes. The first recovery attempt failed but the second one was successful. Whew. I thought I had a brick there for a bit.

I guess the OS got corrupted or something? Now I'm just waiting on my 5k songs to sync.

Thanks 1988RedT2 yes

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/25/19 6:16 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

YAY! I had to do the same thing to an early iPod touch we had given to us. I remember waiting on 1500 songs to sync.... I can't imagine the impatience if waiting on 5k. You're a better man than I!

As for the original post, the wife is happy. She used her phone all day, then all night. It was just down to 40% when she plugged it in. Before she would have had it plugged in twice to get that much use. I kind of wish I'd have just done my own battery and gone bigger too instead of letting the professionals do it. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/25/19 11:51 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

Thanks 1988RedT2 yes

Aw, shucks.  blush

Glad it worked.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e08uP9IN33tjxy0XMBna8JYclxEBSXp9zSQUzwsrmTVcVPyVPLwWZnHFgnE15kLf