1 2 3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
3/3/16 8:20 a.m.

I will be starting a new job in about a month which will require me to have boots which are black and include a safety toe. I'll be wearing these A LOT so I'm willing to spend some decent cash on them, even more so if they have enough ankle protection to serve as motorcycle boots (I commute on the bike when it's above freezing).

Brands to look at? Brands to avoid? Thanks in advance!

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer SuperDork
3/3/16 8:26 a.m.

Red Wing /thread

Do not get their off brand. Even though they are less expensive, they are also cheaper construction!

Red Wing comes with a 12month guaranty on workmanship.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/3/16 8:29 a.m.

I currently wear Ariat slip on boots and find them very comfortable.

If you get slip on and haven't done them before go a little small as they will stretch and loosen up as they break in.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
3/3/16 8:30 a.m.

I've had a pair of Danner boots for 7 years and they are great, but this model can't be resoled. I'm planning on getting another pair soon.

I've never had a pair of Redwings buy everyone that has them lives them.

I've killed 2 pairs of Bates in less than 3 months each. Do not recommend.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
3/3/16 8:53 a.m.

I've had Redwings, that were great. Until I had foot surgery. Then I couldn't find a style that fit properly.

I've had Timberland Pros. They sucked. Comfortable, but didn't last six months, before the sole split.

Currently, I'm wearing Keens. The guy at the work shoe store (where they sell Redwing, Carolina, Danner, etc) said they were the fastest growing brand they've had in a long time. I've heard others with rave reviews of them, too.

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/3/16 9:03 a.m.

Danner makes a GREAT boot, many can be resoled also.

I was choosing between them and an Asolo, went Asolo just because they fit a little better. But no safety toe.

Id recommend Sno Seal on any leather boot. Especially when they are new and its easy to get a good coating. I coat mine heavily and stick in the oven on low for a few mins, repeat until they wont soak any more. (I have a pair of leather work boots, I don't honestly remember the brand but they are a mid priced boot) They have held up well in mud and concrete with repeated applications....

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
3/3/16 9:06 a.m.

Timberland Pro's here. They're the most comfy (to my feet anyways) boot that I've ever had.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/3/16 9:08 a.m.

My favorite work boot is a made in the USA Chippewa. The foreign made ones are not quality. But I'm not sure they make the style you're looking for.

I can cast a vote against Ariat. The ones I have currently are less than a year old and the insides have already came apart. Plus I hate fighting the tiny string clip things at the top of the boot.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/3/16 9:08 a.m.

I have owned Timberlands, they were OK. I have owned Sketchers, they were not great. I am currently wearing Keene's, but I don't wear them often. They are nice.

If we're talking steel toe, check out a wider and shorter cut to see how it feels, my foot is happier in a 12W than a 13.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
3/3/16 9:10 a.m.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a pair of Carhartt's that I really like, they're extremely comfortable but not the right color and I wouldn't trust them to keep my foot attached to my body in a motorcycle crash. I guess I need to go try on some Red Wings- it looks like the 971 is even marketed as a dual purpose boot for work/riding.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/3/16 9:12 a.m.

Lot's of good brands mentioned, but find what fits you best.

Then Sno Seal the hell out of it.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/3/16 9:14 a.m.

I've had a pretty decent pair of Wolverine boots last job I worked that required steel toed boots. Never worn Red Wings myself, but it seems virtually everyone I've talked to who has raves about them, including some who worked for years as construction workers and were on their feet constantly with boots.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
3/3/16 9:20 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote: I've had Timberlands. They sucked. Comfortable, but didn't last six months, before the sole split.

If you still have the Timberlands, call them. You may get a free replacement.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/16 9:37 a.m.

I tried a few brands and never found any I liked better than Red Wings. Make sure to get the USA made ones.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/16 9:40 a.m.

I'll second the opinions on Redwing and Sno Seal. If this sort of thing matters to you, check the country of origin on the Redwings, as some are made in the good ol' US of A while their cheaper boots are made in China. I had no problem paying the extra $20 or so to get the American made ones.

Also, get yourself some insoles, especially if you're going to be standing on concrete all day. Your legs, ass, and back will thank you. The Redwing store tried to sell me a pair of their fancy $60 insoles, but my feet couldn't tell the difference between those and the $10 Dr. Scholl's from Walmart.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
3/3/16 9:44 a.m.
lrrs wrote:
RealMiniParker wrote: I've had Timberlands. They sucked. Comfortable, but didn't last six months, before the sole split.
If you still have the Timberlands, call them. You may get a free replacement.

My work provides out steel toed shoes. After repeated cycles of Timberland Pro sole splitting we aren't allowed to buy them anymore.

I also like the Keenes, I have a set for summer wear and they held up better than I did in my motorcycle crash.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/3/16 9:47 a.m.

Vibram soles are all I will buy. My made in the USA carolina's have lasted for 10 years, but are about at the end of their life. I only wear them 2-3 times per year now. Vibram soles still holding up. I highly recommend these boots. http://www.carolinashoe.com/Category?category=Made+in+the+USA&page=1

Dr. Martens have guaranteed for life steel toe that you can send back if they wear out, and if they are the made in china ones they will.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
3/3/16 10:16 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Vibram soles are all I will buy. My made in the USA carolina's have lasted for 10 years, but are about at the end of their life. I only wear them 2-3 times per year now. Vibram soles still holding up. I highly recommend these boots. http://www.carolinashoe.com/Category?category=Made+in+the+USA&page=1 Dr. Martens have guaranteed for life steel toe that you can send back if they wear out, and if they are the made in china ones they will.

Yeah. My made in China doc martens were garbage. The soles wore smooth in months.

My red wings have held up to two years of auto shop floor grease great! Lots of snoseal...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
3/3/16 10:52 a.m.

Another Red Wings convert

I did pay the 60$ for the insoles from the store. They had this computerized thingy you stand on and it tells you where all your pressure points are and then recommends a specific insole- they have different countours for different feet. All told I was $300 out the door for safety toed USA made Red wings with insert. Oh, and the inserts have a 12 mo warranty. I plan on taking them back right before then and getting a new set.

I have had cheaper (<$100) work boots and they last 1-2 years and hurt my back. Eventually I started getting a sciattica pain. Since getting the RW I've noticed the sciattica thing subside.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/3/16 10:56 a.m.

I'm going on about 3 years on my current Red Wings. The last pair was good for about 8 years, mostly of every day not-hard use. Those ones probably could have been resoled, but the leather was just starting to crack to the point I didn't think it was worth it anymore.

Oh, before I had that first pair my dad wore them for 5-6 years off and on.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/3/16 11:01 a.m.

I bought a pair of Redwings about 6 years ago and I will be sticking with Redwing for life. I've had them resoled twice and I change insoles every 6 months or so since I'm on my feet a LOT, standing on concrete floors and they wear out quickly. The leather is worn off of the toes and very weathered on the sides but they are still by far the best boots I've ever worn.

I think they were around $260 when I bought them. Well worth the investment.

I wouldn't get the dual purpose boots, I'd get some that do only one thing and do it very well.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
3/3/16 11:08 a.m.

Not a boot guy, but ever hear of Bates brand? Here are some black, composite toe that would look cool with a bike: http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/mens-work-footwear/

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/3/16 11:14 a.m.

i do not care for redwings. i have been wearing doc martens industrial for the last 10 years, i'm on my 3rd pair and i literally wear them every day. sometimes they even put them on clearance, i've paid full price($120+) for them and also been lucky enough to snag them for $30.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/3/16 11:15 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Dr. Martens have guaranteed for life steel toe that you can send back if they wear out, and if they are the made in china ones they will.

Ahh, riddle me this.

Dr. Marten's now offers made in England shoes alongside made in various Asian countries.

They also offer a "forever" line, which they will replace forever.

The forever line does not contain any made in England shoes.

Why? I am nearly ready to buy some good black shoes that will last, but that part has be all confused.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/3/16 11:18 a.m.

I got Chippewa Apache Lug Sole in Chocolate. The leather is dark and could easily be made black with darker polish. Mine polish up nicely.

The only thing I don't care for is that most steel toe boots have real bulbous toes. I'm still looking for a classic looking boot that utilizes a smaller more traditional looking composite toe.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PD0yoUOM1ciDHy68V884wEgkAQLb8UYRCcbVGb0u8BlWHDjRRgrxmX9GnrGjaW2o