1 2
chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/23/13 11:00 p.m.

Go for it. I bought a C5 in your situation. It was more expensive to run than a Miata, but less than two Miatas would have cost. It was a LOT of fun, especially at 170+ MPH on the public road.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
12/24/13 8:52 a.m.

It'll probably be a year or two anyway, but it'll give me something to look forward to.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/24/13 9:39 a.m.
OSULemon wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Check with your insurance agent before you buy. Depending on your age, premiums may be high and/or they won't even offer you a policy.
I have. It's higher than the Miata, but no higher than any other sports cars such as the Mustang. I believe I was quoted around $130/mo.

My '13 GT was $84/month with full coverage through State Farm. At 30, married, own a home, multiple line discount, no accidents or tickets.

I'm in Tulsa.

Jake
Jake Dork
12/24/13 10:11 a.m.

Do it, if you’re really in the boat where all that other stuff is all set like you say, go on. Financial responsibility is great and all, but you only live once- if you don’t have a wife and kids to take care of, play with cars now- just keep saving toward that other stuff too. It gets a lot harder to justify car hobbies from a cost perspective when there are diapers and daycare as line items on the budget- or at least it did for me.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
12/24/13 10:15 a.m.

Even though you can pay cash for it I would recommend financing some of it. At your age you need to build credit, and a great way to do that is with a perfectly paid car loan. Borrow something like $5-7k, for three years, and set it to auto pay. This way, when you do go to buy a house 5 years down the road, your credit will help you do that.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/24/13 10:22 a.m.
Sonic wrote: Even though you can pay cash for it I would recommend financing some of it. At your age you need to build credit, and a great way to do that is with a perfectly paid car loan. Borrow something like $5-7k, for three years, and set it to auto pay. This way, when you do go to buy a house 5 years down the road, your credit will help you do that.

Great strategy this. To answer your original question:

1. Yes, it is financially irresponsible.

2. Don't let me stop you.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/13 11:16 a.m.

that is a great idea, Sonic.

While you may pay more than you need to, it helps you in the long run.

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
12/24/13 3:23 p.m.

I was under the impression that a 10-13 year old car would be impossible to finance.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/13 3:46 p.m.

10-13 year old cars will be difficult to finance as an auto loan. You can take out a personal loan, but you'll pay a much higher interest rate than an auto loan.

As others have said, have some fun now as once you're married with children it's much harder to find the time and money to support a car habit.

It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders, keep up the good work financially, but don't forget to have fun, too!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/24/13 4:38 p.m.
OSULemon wrote: I was under the impression that a 10-13 year old car would be impossible to finance.

Just depends on the lender, value, mileage, etc.

And if you are going to put a chunk down and follow Sonic's advice, it shouldn't be too difficult at all.

The
The Reader
12/24/13 6:54 p.m.

you really have no choice in the matter, it must be done!

OSULemon
OSULemon Reader
12/24/13 7:46 p.m.
The wrote: you really have no choice in the matter, it must be done!

I do prefer the coupe roof over the FRC/Z06 roof. That's purty.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/24/13 8:02 p.m.

Life is a series of unfortunate events that ultimately lead to death.

Any thing you do to put some joy between you and the grave is a win. berkeley responsible. That is for grown-ups.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
12/24/13 9:23 p.m.

So...did you buy a corvette yet??

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ao98ZqvhnSeae7RArJW7xnN94s8cJdyo0woETCFzeYANrmMnnVETlS8eqEyvXgxk