1 2
Duke
Duke Dork
10/24/08 11:05 a.m.

New driver, she'll be going solo around the first of the year, so I've been keeping my ear to the ground for something ~$5k to send her out in.

Assuming it's legit: 1998 Mercedes C280

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/08 11:08 a.m.

Nope. Kids should have to buy their own cars.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/24/08 11:11 a.m.

5k can get you a pretty nice 740, v70, etc. volvo of similar vintage

Duke
Duke Dork
10/24/08 11:17 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Nope. Kids should have to buy their own cars.

I hear ya, but all of my family were given solid used cars (usually that we helped fix up) around our late teenage years. 3/4 of us turned out all right... ;)

Also, I'd rather she concentrate on keeping her A's straight in these pre-college years, rather than spending 39 hours a week as a 'part time' worker trying to earn money for the car.

I've seen a number of Volvos in this price range (even started a thread on them a few months ago) so I've got them in mind, too.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
10/24/08 11:21 a.m.

No...

Get her a Celica. Something simple, reliable, cheap to fix, and something girly looking that she'll like.

A 94-99 Celica would do the job, and they're GREAT cars for pretty much any use.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/08 11:24 a.m.
Duke wrote:
EastCoastMojo wrote: Nope. Kids should have to buy their own cars.
I hear ya, but all of my family were given solid used cars (usually that we helped fix up) around our late teenage years. 3/4 of us turned out all right... ;)

OK, but just make sure it is a manual.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/24/08 11:37 a.m.

miata?

iolite
iolite New Reader
10/24/08 11:46 a.m.

Buy her a Civic EX, they're cheap, reliable and economical. As long as it has a 5spd, she will be fine.

mtn
mtn Dork
10/24/08 11:52 a.m.

Yes. Its safe, not too fast. reliability might be iffy, but still... Its a good car. But it isn't a manual, which is a downside (I firmly believe that I am a better driver when shifting for myself)

katonk
katonk New Reader
10/24/08 12:04 p.m.

I think its a good, safe car. I would happily put my daughter in one, but only if I'm the one paying the maintenance. If I'm buying her a car that she's going to be paying the maintenance bill on, I'm putting her in a Civic. I learned the lesson about used luxury autos; price of the cars depreciate, but the high maintenance costs don't. It'd be wrong to buy her a Mercedes and then foot her with the bill to maintain to keep it running.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
10/24/08 12:19 p.m.

Nice car. In Navy Blue I think the C280 is very good looking.

But, good looking does not make the perfect car for the parent (yourself.) High maintainence cost would be my concern. That may not seem like too much for the next two years that she stays under your roof but it pretty much rules out the idea of her continuing to driving the car if she heads away for college. Premium fuel is no help either.

I very much agree with the comment about a Celica.

EricM
EricM Reader
10/24/08 12:19 p.m.

No, but you could buy it for me.....

My kid is getting a 4 cyl pick up truck, or an old school saturn. He will get NOTHING with power....

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
10/24/08 12:41 p.m.

Waisting time at work...

From your autotrader link I modified the search and found these in your neighborhood.

Dull but should continue to be dull for years and years. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=251594518&dealer_id=81613&car_year=1999&num_records=25&systime=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=143&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=51&make=&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=CONVERT&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&body_style=WAGON&drive=&default_sort=&seller_type=b&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=21502&advanced=y&end_year=2009&pager.offset=50&doors=&transmission=&max_price=5000&cardist=51

The exact same shade of dull: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=251080720&dealer_id=91290&car_year=1999&num_records=25&systime=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=143&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=CONVERT&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&body_style=WAGON&drive=&default_sort=&seller_type=b&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=21502&advanced=y&end_year=2009&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=5000&cardist=56

Interesting. I will not mention the girl I knew in High School who drove a wagon. That was a long time ago. I am sure times have changed. I dont think kids do than any more? http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=252182668&dealer_id=504783&car_year=1996&num_records=25&systime=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=143&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=CONVERT&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&body_style=WAGON&drive=&default_sort=&seller_type=b&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=21502&advanced=y&end_year=2009&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=5000&cardist=32

The answer: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=251970384&dealer_id=63321101&car_year=1990&num_records=25&systime=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=143&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=CONVERT&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&body_style=WAGON&drive=&default_sort=&seller_type=b&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=21502&advanced=y&end_year=2009&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=5000&cardist=60

Newer and somewhat less dull color: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=251338022&dealer_id=100010802&car_year=2002&num_records=25&systime=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=143&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=CONVERT&body_style=COUPE&body_style=HATCH&body_style=SEDAN&body_style=WAGON&drive=&default_sort=&seller_type=b&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=21502&advanced=y&end_year=2009&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=5000&cardist=60

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/24/08 1:00 p.m.

i'm fairly certain i would be dead today if i didn't drive a 16 second truck through high school and most of college. lots of courage, little talent

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/24/08 1:03 p.m.

No, buy her a Honda or Toyota or something.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
10/24/08 1:05 p.m.

My child will be getting a scooter at 14, and with the scooter they will be getting a job. anything that they save between 14 and 16 I will match toward their first car.

they only car I will be buying them outright is a Go-kart at 5!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/08 1:42 p.m.

What about an old diesel Mercedes? I'm fairly certain that the one I had was far too slow to get into any kind of trouble. 80 hp and ~3500 lbs does not a fast car make.

Duke
Duke Dork
10/24/08 2:31 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Get her a Celica. Something simple, reliable, cheap to fix, and something girly looking that she'll like. A 94-99 Celica would do the job, and they're GREAT cars for pretty much any use.
neon4891 wrote: miata?

Well, she has specifically requested 4 doors. She'd probably even take a wagon, but since my wife's first car was a Hornet Sportabout that was foisted upon her, I do not think she will go with dear daughter getting one from me... though DD is open to the idea.

iolite wrote: Buy her a Civic EX, they're cheap, reliable and economical. As long as it has a 5spd, she will be fine.

That's just the thing - I can buy a 2 year newer Civic with the same mileage on it for this price. That's what prompted my Volvo thread a while ago. I could see the same $$ buying a Civic with half the miles, but with the same or more, even? That's when I start to look at depreciation as my friend.

Here's the shortlist I started looking for:

00-04 Protege or P5 00-04 Civic sedan 99-02 Integra sedan

Asking prices for these cars has kept them out of the $5 range with anything like decent mileage on them. So that's why I keep coming back to these middle-age middle-size luxury cars.

jrw1621 wrote: Nice car. In Navy Blue I think the C280 is very good looking. But, good looking does not make the perfect car for the parent (yourself.) High maintainence cost would be my concern.

BTW it appears to be a real car. The current owner replied and seems in line with a real person, not a scam artist.

At 130k on the clock, what's going to go wrong in the near future? I don't know Mercs. My understanding is that 98 predates a lot of the major quality issues. I'll do most of the incidental wrenching on it. If it's due for a timing belt, OK, I better factor that. But is it going to need a ton of regular maintenance in the next 4 years if it gets 10k a year on it?

Thanks for the comments - keep 'em coming.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
10/24/08 3:47 p.m.

What could go wrong at 130k will likely be dictated by how much service and love it received in the past. If no love than that could mean shock/struts, tires, AC parts, timing belt (if it has one) and all the typical fluid type problems (water pump, radiator, fuel filter, injectors, etc.)

Aside from predictable maintainence what about the unpredicted but probable with a new driver. How much for a new rim and minor front suspension when she slides in the rain/snow and bends a rim? How easy and at what price can you get a new mirror that gets ripped off by a drive thru window?

The other thing to think about is insurance. Before you buy anything, just call your guy and tell him what car you are considering. Some models can really drive up the price, especially if you are looking at full coverage on the car she will be driving.

I know this varies from state to state but here in Ohio a friend had a daughter coming onto the insurance. He knew she would not drive much and he really had no plans for a car for her. Without a car for her she was going to be rated for driving his Porsche 944s and his wifes BMW 528. Turns out that he bought a non-running Ford Tempo for $200. He insured it, registered it and got plates then stuffed onto the farm of a family member. They never did drive that car but he went on to save thousands on insurance.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/08 3:56 p.m.
Duke wrote: That's just the thing - I can buy a 2 year newer Civic with the same mileage on it for this price. That's what prompted my Volvo thread a while ago. I could see the same $$ buying a Civic with half the miles, but with the same or more, even? That's when I start to look at depreciation as my friend.

That Civic will still cost you less in the long run.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/24/08 3:57 p.m.

Put me in 'no because of the cheap entry price, outrageous maintenance cost' camp. I am not really opposed to buying her something in the 5k range if she is going to college and keeping her grades up etc but if something does go wrong that thing will cost a bomb to fix.

I'd stay away from the fancy European tin and get her a nice Accord or Camry, since she's expressed a desire for 4 doors. The cost of parts and repairs is nowhere near what that Benz will set you or her back. For instance, my brother in Fla. bought a 560? (I'm not really up on the Benz models) convertible a while back, the car wasn't expensive, IIRC something like $4500.00. The inner tie rods got sloppy, the estimate was well north of $2K. Now he just keeps cheap tires on it and replaces them as they get eaten up, which is pretty regularly.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/24/08 4:05 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: The other thing to think about is insurance. Before you buy anything, just call your guy and tell him what car you are considering. Some models can really drive up the price, especially if you are looking at full coverage on the car she will be driving.

That can be an odd one. When I got my BMW, I was quoted the same cost to insure it as to insure my crappy Chrysler Cirrus I'd been driving.

If I'd gotten a new MX-5 it would have been 20% higher. If I'd gotten an S2000 or 350Z, I'd have paid almost double.

For some reason, I am less risk in a BMW M Coupe.

You could always get her a P71. Then you know the insurance would be low.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/08 8:22 p.m.

It may be a little late for your situation, but here's how we approached it with my oldest daughter:

When my daughter was twelve, my wife's car was approaching 100,000 miles. We could have driven it another couple of years, but it was nearing the time for a timing belt, brakes and muffler. We sold the car while it still had decent value.

Around the same time, I had visions of shopping for a well maintained used car for my daughter a few years later when she turned 16. I decided to buy THAT car new, just four years early. We bought a reliable car that we liked (love actually) and loaded it up with every available airbag, just in case.

So the kid turns 16 and we have a good reliable Accord with 90,000 miles on it and a known history. It's not her's exclusively, but she has occasional use of it. I can rest easy (well, at least a little easier) knowing that she is in a safe car, that's never been wrecked and repaired and has a solid maintenance history.

Just don't let the kid know your plan so they don't develop a sense of entitlement as they approach driving age. My wife made that mistake, not me...

Duke
Duke Dork
10/24/08 9:00 p.m.

Well, that's what's likely to happen with daughter #2, who's toddling along behind and about to turn 13. When she's 16-17 in 2011-12, she'll probably find herself driving a nice, cared-for 2004 TSX. It should have, oh, 45,000 miles on it by then...

92dxman
92dxman Reader
10/24/08 9:01 p.m.

A big thing to watch out for the C Class of this vintage is if the subframe goes, it is somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple grand to get it replaced.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ImqXXlOgcrNO0tjYQA0EnNNEMQHyTMmfw4lorQvh2lVJDFB7ivaGl5X5fwJZPhXw