1 2 3 4
Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/27/16 11:25 a.m.

Wow, so much hate for DD. My experiences are quite different. When I go, it's not uncommon they'll tell me that the pot of decaf they have is old, so they brew a fresh one for me and even bring it to my table as soon as it's done. Of course, by then my wife has already inhaled her entire cup.

Now they have "happy hour" from 4-7pm or something, where coffee is 1/2 off. So if we can find 30 free minutes on a Saturday we stop and get coffee for a grand total of $2. I dunno, they may not be gourmet or maybe the hate is that they're a large franchise chain, but they're fine by me. If you wanna talk hate for a coffee franchise, don't even get me started on Starbucks. Nasty sludge, I would rather go without my morning cup than drink theirs.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
4/27/16 11:29 a.m.

I like iced coffee products when it's hot outside.

Never been much on DD's coffee, or most store bought coffees for that matter.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
4/27/16 11:29 a.m.

I put leftover hot coffee in the fridge. Drink hot coffee black, but leftover coffee, I put over ice with some milk.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/27/16 11:37 a.m.

There are two types of people: Those who like coffee and those who like ultra sweetened, flavor milk with a coffee aftertaste. They are independent of temperature.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/27/16 11:47 a.m.

I love coffee and I'll drink it just about any way if I'm forced to, but hot, strong, and black is very much my preference (not to be taken out of context .) I'm not that big a fan of iced coffee just because I don't like it black, I think it needs something to sweeten it up a bit. I will still get a cup of Dunkin iced caramel every once in a while though on a hot summer day.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
4/27/16 11:59 a.m.

I like my coffee like I like my women.

Blonde and sweet!

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/27/16 12:12 p.m.

Nothing wrong with warm mocha and ...nevermind

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
4/27/16 12:13 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Wow, so much hate for DD. My experiences are quite different. When I go, it's not uncommon they'll tell me that the pot of decaf they have is old, so they brew a fresh one for me and even bring it to my table as soon as it's done. Of course, by then my wife has already inhaled her entire cup. Now they have "happy hour" from 4-7pm or something, where coffee is 1/2 off. So if we can find 30 free minutes on a Saturday we stop and get coffee for a grand total of $2. I dunno, they may not be gourmet or maybe the hate is that they're a large franchise chain, but they're fine by me. If you wanna talk hate for a coffee franchise, don't even get me started on Starbucks. Nasty sludge, I would rather go without my morning cup than drink theirs.

You are lucky. We don't get the "happy hour" stuff up here because people will just go there anyway and pay whatever the cost is. I discovered this phenomenon the last time we were at the Challenge and I had to do a coffee run for the team. The kid at the counter was a MA native, and said that you could get any size coffee for $0.99 after 12pm or something like that. He said that he was shocked when the started to offer that!

To fully understand: up here, there's a Dunkin Donuts on every corner, and whenever another coffee chain (Starbucks, Honey Dew, or Marylou's) opens a store, you can bet that there will be a Dunkin Donuts nextdoor or across the street. Al of them are packed basically all day long. In the morning, most drive-throughs are out onto the street.

That brings me to mentioning Honey Dew and Marylou's, whuch are two Boston area coffee chains. Honey Dew is ok, but their coffee can taste weird sometimes. Their donuts and baked goods are a step above Dunkin Donuts. Marylous is basically a Hooters for people wanting coffee. They really don't have any pastries or anything worth eating, all prepackaged stuff. And their emphasis is on flavored iced coffee (and the girls serving it).

Strangely, we don't have Tim Horton's here, and Krispy Kreme has tried to get a foothold in this market and failed miserably. Stupidly, they are trying again soon.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/27/16 12:21 p.m.

I like my coffee double strength from dark roast beans, plenty sweet, and black. I like a cappuccino from time to time, too, but dear Bob, please no creamer, whether powdered or that funky soy stuff. No commercially available coffee is ever strong enough, so I only get it out of desperation when espresso is not available.

I will occasionally drink iced coffee in the summer months, and that needs a little milk in it. But iced is not my go-to unless I just can't stand the idea of raising the temperature another degree.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/16 12:21 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: I love it just about any way if I'm forced to, but hot, strong, and black is very much my preference.

Oh, wait, you said not to take that out of context.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/27/16 1:14 p.m.
RossD wrote: There are two types of people: Those who like coffee and those who like ultra sweetened, flavor milk with a coffee aftertaste. They are independent of temperature.

THIS. A million times this.

That said, you sugarmongers can have your liquid dessert anyway you like it and I won't hate on you. I'll just continue to rant that I have to be ultra-specific that I don't want sugar in my iced coffee every time I order the stuff.

Klayfish - maybe the DD hate is simply backlash against the notion that their coffee is somehow better than average? I've personally been a little confused about what all the hub-bub is about, but I don't particularly dislike it either. It's just run-of-the-mill coffee. Agreed on Starbucks - it's more acidic than it needs to be.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
4/27/16 1:33 p.m.

Dunkin Donut's Turbo is my go-to bagged coffee when grocery shopping, along with some Starbucks and others. Turbo is good stuff.

And I like pretty much any coffee. Iced coffee, especially in hot humid weather, capuccino, espresso (NOT expresso), Cafe Dumonde coffee with chicory...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/27/16 2:05 p.m.

Dunkin coffee is utility I have to drive a lot and can't find a Wawa coffee.

If a homeless guy in Denny park were to take a shower, the run off would be better than Dunkin. Stupid foam cup. In New England McDonald's used to serve Newmans own which is miles ahead of that garbage.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
4/27/16 2:21 p.m.

My coffee- black. I do not drink coffee flavored beverage.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/27/16 2:45 p.m.

Coffee by definition is a horrible thing. Hot, iced, flavored, vente, grande, mocha, wtf ever. Nasty.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/27/16 2:47 p.m.

I think that ice coffee would be OK if you microwaved it back up to about 185F.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/27/16 2:49 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Dunkin coffee is utility I have to drive a lot and can't find a Wawa coffee.

Being from the Midatlantic region also, I'm a Wawa fan in general. But Wawa coffee flat out sucks. They have 200 flasks with 180 different varieties, all of which are too weak to be drinkable, even the quote French Roast unquote, which is barely medium roasted, and then made even weaker than usual to compensate for any flavor that accidentally slips through.

Surely they could spare 1 or 2 of those 200 flasks for a strong-brewed pot.

I know they sell cubic kilogallons of the stuff every day, but Wawa coffee is not worth what you pay for it on Free Coffee Day. Dunkin coffee isn't any better quality, but at least you can order it with a turbo shot and it will actually taste like coffee.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/16 3:05 p.m.

Flavored coffee:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/27/16 5:43 p.m.

My flavored coffee:

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/27/16 5:48 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Dunkin coffee is utility I have to drive a lot and can't find a Wawa coffee.
Being from the Midatlantic region also, I'm a Wawa fan in general. But Wawa coffee flat out sucks. They have 200 flasks with 180 different varieties, all of which are too weak to be drinkable, even the quote French Roast unquote, which is barely medium roasted, and then made even weaker than usual to compensate for any flavor that accidentally slips through. *Surely* they could spare 1 or 2 of those 200 flasks for a strong-brewed pot. I know they sell cubic kilogallons of the stuff every day, but Wawa coffee is not worth what you pay for it on Free Coffee Day. Dunkin coffee isn't any better quality, but at least you can order it with a turbo shot and it will actually taste like coffee.

How dare you soil the good name of Wawa. That's blasphemous!! I miss it big time. A few years ago they opened the first one in Florida. It's just outside of Disneyworld. So when we were on vacation there, we made a point of stopping there. Now there are a lot of them.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/27/16 6:04 p.m.

Wawa coffee isn't good. It's utility coffee. Just better utility coffee than DD.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/27/16 6:29 p.m.

I only drink coffee if its below freezing out so always hot. DD i actually like, i tryed starbucks once and threw it away. They dont make enough sugar too make that crap taste good.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork

I don't drink coffee, hot, cold or otherwise.

But, I have completely given up on trying to order anything at all through a speaker, I get so frustrated when the motherberkeleyers talk over you then ask you what you would like to drink when you just said what the berkeley you would like to drink and they would have heard it if they weren't berkeleying talking over you.

I always go in so I can tell them with a look when they are being an idiot.

berkeley, I can barely function in society anymore. It won't be long before I just start throat punching people the second they look like they might say stupid E36 M3.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

Coffee threads are starting to sound like oil threads.

I'll take mine hot, strong, with a touch of cream and sugar.

Anything else isn't coffee, it's a fru fru drink pretending to be worthy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/27/16 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

I respectfully disagree. They're equivalent at best, but Wawa loses because there's no option to actually get a strong enough cup from them. DD on the other hand makes that easy.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Any8aW7ZmH3xHTMhgnj4G88944jvIroM1Fo05hiF9fS31v7NoIO2x722Fe9srTqZ