1 2 3 4
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/28/20 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Ahh, that sucks. We have hard water as well. I've been careful to only run filtered water in it, and so far, so good.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/28/20 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

I like it fairly strong - outsourced brews are far more likely to be too weak rather than too strong - but more importantly I prefer a really dark roast.  It seems like you prefer lighter roasts and that's probably why you hate Starbucks.  Starbucks is not anything superduper special, but they roast their beans nice and dark, so I like the flavor.

I use espresso beans for my regular coffee for that rich, full, dark-roast aroma and taste.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/28/20 1:06 p.m.

Yeah, I think Duke has terrible tastes in coffee. Just my opinion. I love STRONG coffee, but a dark roast often means burned coffee - and that is all I taste. Duke gets stronger coffee by going for a darker roast. I do it by going with more grounds to water ratio, or else a finer grind (or a combo of both). 

Also, what you know as "espresso beans" is really a grind more than a roast. You just associate it with a dark roast because that is generally what is sold in the US - probably because that is what is popular in southern Italy. Espresso isn't a bean, it is a brewing method. 

Of course, I'm over here drinking my Costco pre-ground whatever light roast they had, mixing it with milk because it isn't very good, so I can't talk much. Good, strong coffee? I'll drink that black. Weak coffee, or bad coffee, I'm putting some cream/milk in it. Really bad and I'm putting sugar in it. I used to care a lot more, but I don't have the time or the budget for it so I cheap out.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/28/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I get stronger coffee by putting in more beans for a given amount of water, finer grind (if at home), AND a using darker roast.

And yes, espresso beans are the same species as regular beans, but as you say they are usually roasted darker and ground finer... hence why I use them.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/28/20 3:02 p.m.

I figured out a long time ago that I was happiest with a 50/50 blend of dark and medium roast beans. Most of the dark roast that I've tried has good flavor but lacks body, so I cut it with medium to add some of that back into the mix. Blend them together, shake in a can, and fill up the hopper in the grinder. Works out pretty well.

This is strictly for Turkish coffee, so super fine grind is mandatory.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZTPsVGHB9Q9Kcty07kq7SHyNhIdbLyNCNsivfJD1Quoh2wkppGvVtlGqPxT8c26o