1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/29/13 10:21 a.m.

Well I've exposed one of my better business ideas, but it's fairly new tech so I'm not worried, the odds of someone with both brains and money seeing it are slim

So...would you? The sub would be controlled through a web interface and a video recording of your roving would be included in the price. Many subs would be out at once so you could book a group.

Thinking about starting out with one or two subs and just doing weekends but that still a big investment for me (big bandwidth mobile Internet connection = $$$$ and subs = $$$$) . I have a buddy who's a scuba diver who might be interested in this idea, he'd know the best spots and could help with recovery in case something goes wrong. I figure he could take control of a sub and act as a "tour guide" (in the web interface there would be voice and/or text chat between sub pilots).

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
5/29/13 10:33 a.m.

Torpedoes?

GameboyRMH
5/29/13 10:34 a.m.

No, there will be LED headlights you can annoy the fish with though

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
5/29/13 10:39 a.m.

I would not, but then again I have easy access to scuba diving.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
5/29/13 10:40 a.m.

No, M80 torpedos, no bueno

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
5/29/13 10:43 a.m.

Yup, I sure would. I think that would be pretty rad.

I unfortunately can't scuba dive due to some irregular ear issues growing up. Sucks because I always loved swimming under water as a kid and could care less about the ear problems until afterwards.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
5/29/13 10:54 a.m.

$50 an hour is a pretty good price point. An hour may be too long - you might want to try $30 for 30 minutes. With the limited range of area the subs can likely cover, you probably don't want to spend an hour all in one place.

HOWEVER - it would also depend very much on the quality of the video I could both watch while driving, and take home on the recording.

GameboyRMH
5/29/13 10:55 a.m.

I'm thinking 480p while driving and at least that much on the recorded video. $30 for 30 minutes is a good idea.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
5/29/13 11:03 a.m.

I would not. Far too much similar video I can watch for free in the web.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/29/13 11:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I'm thinking 480p while driving and at least that much on the recorded video. $30 for 30 minutes is a good idea.

Would need to be HD, IMHO.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
5/29/13 11:16 a.m.

I'd do it. My coworker would do it.

Cheaper than learning how to scuba.

Luke
Luke UberDork
5/29/13 11:23 a.m.

I certainly would, but then this is right up my alley. I'm playing around with underwater video for a research project at the moment. Static cameras and 100+ meter depths, though.

How good would my own internet connection have to be?

And how difficult would it be for a noob operator to get his sub jammed in the guts of a wreck?

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
5/29/13 11:25 a.m.

How would the subs be controlled? Radios don't really work under water.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/29/13 11:27 a.m.

Make it an excursion you can offer cruise ships. To them directly. Easy audience, then.

(speaking of which, next time we cruise to Barbados, we should meet. Maybe over some Mount Gay)

GameboyRMH
5/29/13 11:37 a.m.

Your own Internet connection would basically have to be up to first-world standards. About 5mbit should do it. No dial-up users for sure.

The subs are controlled via a cable and would be quite easy to snag on a wreck.

Offering to cruise ships is another good idea, I always say how embarrassing it is that there's relatively little on offer when you get off the cruise ships here.

Edit: Also 480p doesn't sound like much but that's DVD quality.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
5/29/13 11:41 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

And it's one of the more popular destinations.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
5/29/13 11:45 a.m.

Nope.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
5/29/13 11:55 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Edit: Also 480p doesn't sound like much but that's DVD quality.

Well aware, but considering I've been using 1080p TV's and Blu-Ray's since 2006, 480p would not cut it for me.

GameboyRMH
5/29/13 12:01 p.m.

The limitations with video are bandwidth and optics. Massive upstream bandwidth will be required at the launch site just to stream 480p video, and it's a camera maybe comparable with a high-end smartphone's inside a waterproof case that's not going to help.

In terms of recording the only real limitation is processing power.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
5/29/13 12:04 p.m.

If it was at the beach while I was on vacation and they were RC type I would. Over the web, heck no.

GameboyRMH
5/29/13 12:07 p.m.
FranktheTank wrote: If it was at the beach while I was on vacation and they were RC type I would. Over the web, heck no.

Oh not a good sign...I was hoping people who live far inland and away from good diving opportunities would be the most interested.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
5/29/13 12:08 p.m.
FranktheTank wrote: If it was at the beach while I was on vacation and they were RC type I would. Over the web, heck no.

This. If I were there, yes. From home over the 'nets? Nope.

Luke
Luke UberDork
5/29/13 12:17 p.m.
Jerry wrote:
This. If I were there, yes. From home over the 'nets? Nope.

Conversely, that would be part of the buzz for me - operating an underwater RC vehicle from the comfort of my own home. Unfortunately, my own internet connection barely facilitates a non-glitchy Skype call.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
5/29/13 12:27 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Oh not a good sign...I was hoping people who live far inland and away from good diving opportunities would be the most interested.

Not sure if sarcasm.

If serious, no, I wouldn't pay to drive RC sub around, from the comfort of my couch. I can watch YouTube for that.

I'd do it, if I were on the island, cruise ship, resort, etc. though.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/29/13 1:37 p.m.

I would not do it over the internet either. I might consider it as a fun tourist attraction while visiting the island. Especially if you can do it at wrecks with openings too small to swim through or that are otherwise too hazardous for diving.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HTRUwqVAJM090Ps4ng8GNvqKZAHBYAtbDtwDm1t9pIyMyJUcC5K9fUTj2a8j6mCC