1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/23/20 3:04 p.m.

The orangutan says this a lot, however its is a very Euro-centric point of view.  So, what do you have to have to be an American "petrolhead"?

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
4/23/20 3:08 p.m.

Malaise era anything.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/20 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

50's-70's full size Cadillac.

But more to the point, Jeremy's right. You haven't truly wrenched until you've had an Alfa.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
4/23/20 3:18 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

But more to the point, Jeremy's right. You haven't truly wrenched until you've had an Alfa.

Or its  poor relative , FIATs ?????

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/23/20 8:23 p.m.

E36 M3box. Total beater with no redeeming value beyond scrap. What better way to teach driving limits and fixing what you broke than a complete E36 M3box?

Or a pickup truck.  Nothing is more American than that.  Hands down.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/24/20 9:09 a.m.

Miata.  Miata is still the answer.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/24/20 9:24 a.m.

Guess I'll never be a true petrolhead by Mr. Clarkson's standards. No thank you. I once borrowed masking tape froma  guy with a Giulia at an autocross and my Miata had nothing but mechanical trouble the entire event. I got that bad Alfa juju just from borrowing tape from a guy racing an Alfa. That was as close a brush with that brand as I need.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/24/20 9:28 a.m.

Something mid engined.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 9:51 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

The orangutan says this a lot, however its is a very Euro-centric point of view.  So, what do you have to have to be an American "petrolhead"?

My name is Peter.   Maximum petrol.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Multiple Alfas, because it's much easier for people over here to store vehicles? Bonus points if some are on cinder blocks.

Other than that, probably Miata.

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
4/24/20 11:16 a.m.

I might be taking the question a bit wrong and overthinking and living too far in the past (but that is where the makers got their names and I think where Clarkson is coming from) but here goes...

In the US, the domination of the big three led to kind of an overwhelming sameness in the cars of the 50's through 70's. Sure there were oddities like the corvair or the land barge FWD Caddies but in general, they were very similar and went through the same evolutionary growth. Changing just enough to match the other makers changes but rarely being revolutionary.

In Europe there were so many more manufacturers and a far wider variety of cars. From the strange French FWD stuff, Little British Fords, Stodgy MG's, diminutive Fiats. Even there Alfas were special.  Heck, the Guilia was a 4 door sedan family car but was equipped with a high revving aluminum block twin cam, 5 speed transmission and four wheel disc brakes in the early 60's! How much longer did it take for other manufacturers to do the same? By the early 70's they had family cars with rear mounted transaxles and DeDion suspension.

Sure they might be a little fragile, but Alfas have always been quirky, driver oriented performance cars. The American version? I don't think there is one. What would have had the same level of technology but pared down for simplicity?

I guess if we go off of the "Quirky" part we might be able to say AMC? 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
4/24/20 11:18 a.m.

Didn't know they had orangutans that could speak. Learn something new every day.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 11:54 a.m.
T.J. said:

Didn't know they had orangutans that could speak. Learn something new every day.

Ook![1]

[1] Sorry, bad Terry Pratchett joke.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 12:27 p.m.

In reply to Trent (Generally supportive dude) :

Rambler was the first unibody and always marched to a different tuba.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
4/24/20 12:59 p.m.

Full size truck, what's more American then that? 

oldopelguy (Forum Supporter)
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/24/20 1:26 p.m.

I think Nissans are the equivalent for the other side of the planet, specifically something from the Datsun era.

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
4/24/20 2:02 p.m.

Clarkston was right, deal with it.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
4/24/20 2:45 p.m.

I think a tow vehicle to enable all sorts of car shenanigans.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/24/20 2:55 p.m.
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) said:

I think Nissans are the equivalent for the other side of the planet, specifically something from the Datsun era.

Nah, Mitsubishi is the Japanese equivalent of Alfa. Thrilling performance, quirky, shakey reliability.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/24/20 3:41 p.m.
NickD said:
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) said:

Nah, Mitsubishi is the Japanese equivalent of Alfa. Thrilling performance, quirky, shakey reliability.

That's funny you mention that. I remember in high school getting a ride in a 2nd Gen GSX Eclipse that was tuned to the moon. Such a hilariously entertaining car......that was damn quick as well!

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 5:05 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Or its  poor relative , FIATs ?????

Fiat's are easier to wrench on and generally more robust. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/20 5:34 p.m.

On one hand, Fiero.

On the other:

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/24/20 5:38 p.m.
dropstep said:

Full size truck, what's more American then that? 

F-body.

Paramount and Pontiac decided that black and gold would be the colour scheme of every trailer park in America for about a decade.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/20 5:56 p.m.

I would say just an American V8 sporty car. Be it a corvette, mustang, crammit, AMX, etc. I would also say a jeep, bronco, full sized blazer, or full sized cherokee. 

intrepid
intrepid New Reader
4/24/20 6:25 p.m.

One of my favorite scenes from the movie Rush (features several AR's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kl0UBS4ZaM

-chris r.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fQtRJ0zeelbvg4GIBG7V9JONFFu4JC0qjibA9Z2BeZlxlbP4t6fLg7xdw6l5ApiA