1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/22/15 12:37 p.m.
Ransom wrote: "First you get the FC, then you get the LS, then you get the FTD..."

You mean FD. Much better chassis.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/15 12:41 p.m.

I used to use the tie down straps in the back of my FC to secure my step son in his car seat facing backwards.

I throw myself at the mercy of the hive…

Vote “A” for Crappy Pappy or “B” for different times with different perceptions of safety (circa late 80’s).

Oh, before deliberating, please know that I always taped his spit up towel to the glass to keep the sun out of his eyes.

BTW, he’s all grown up now, drives a 3 Series BMW, and except for an oddly shaped forehead, appears to be doing just fine.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/22/15 12:44 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote:
Ransom wrote: "First you get the FC, then you get the LS, then you get the FTD..."
You mean FD. Much better chassis.

Well, yeah. And dead sexy. But from the pragmatism standpoint, a lot rarer and pricier than an FC... I don't disagree with you, but my wallet won't shut up.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/22/15 12:44 p.m.

As someone who used to own an S5 FC and has two kids, the answer is RX8. I've had the wife and 2 kids, both in car seats, in the car without being cramped.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
10/22/15 1:20 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I think the real solution would be to import a 20b Cosmo.

I may or may not have a line on a 13B-RE JC Cosmo. Would those qualify for GRM Challenge Aristocrat classing? (Yes, I could purchase it for $2016 pricing)

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/15 1:35 p.m.
RX8driver wrote: As someone who used to own an S5 FC and has two kids, the answer is RX8. I've had the wife and 2 kids, both in car seats, in the car without being cramped.

Opportunity knocks:

How do the two compare (Road handling, feel, and power-wise)? I'd really like to know as the RX-8 may be a potential candidate based on their prices right now.

Brett_Murphy
10/22/15 4:33 p.m.

The RX-8 is an amazing car to drive, and it is easier than an FC to drive at the limit. Real adults can fit into the back seats as well, and the suicide doors make it easier for them to do so.

The RENSIS is probably about as reliable as a 13B turbo, and has more power than they did, but it drives like any other normally aspirated car, you have to wind the snot out of it. The Series 2 RX-8s are even better, but prices on those are still a bit high.

Active thread on the subject:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/is-the-rx8-the-bargain-priced-performance-vehicle-/106946/page3/

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/22/15 5:19 p.m.

My FC was NA, so the RX8 is definitely faster. Overall the RX8 is just plain better, handles better, has more room, brakes better, everything.

Stock for stock it'll certainly handle better than the FC, which will be a little soft and sagging after 25 years, the RX8's also fully adjustable for alignment, unlike the FC. Both have very forgiving handling qualities, both stock and as I had them set up with coilovers and bigger sway bars. The RX8 has better brakes, better ABS (my FC had none), better suspension design and fits bigger tires (max ~285 vs. ~235F / 275 R on the FC), so it'll post much better numbers. It's more practical and generally feels like a much nicer, more grown up car.

I loved my FC and it gave me 10 years of nearly trouble free service (bought with a fresh rebuild), but it's older, so expect more breakdowns, problems and the like. They're good cars, but they're getting old.

Hungary Bill
10/23/15 8:05 a.m.

In reply to RX8driver:

Thanks man. My FC was non-turbo as well, loved the beans out of that car.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll give a gander at an RX-8 or two... you know... just to see. FC still looks better though

Today I got to touch my Alfa, so the crisis isn't as bad. Unfortunately I don't get garage time on the weekends, so please bear with me if you find be back at this thread with gusto come Sunday.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/23/15 9:35 a.m.

I don't particularly care for the looks of the S1 RX8's, but to me anyway, the S2's look pretty good (I've got an R3), plus they've got some important mechanical upgrades to make them stronger, more reliable, etc.

I decided on it after comparing lots of options (on paper) and figuring out that it took some of the least work to track prep one of them compared to my other choices, it was practical with rear seats, I could fit 4 spare wheels and tires in it, etc.

Hungary Bill
10/23/15 8:14 p.m.

NARG! Now I'm looking at RX-8's, prowling the forums, and drafting craigslist ads for my Impala.

what is this sickness, and why does nothing make it go away!?!

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/24/15 10:59 a.m.

I think we can call it a victory when an Impala is getting replaced by an RX8.

Brett_Murphy
10/25/15 8:41 p.m.

The Impala is a classic, though. If you could get a project RX-8 and find the time to work on it, that may be the way to go if it lets you keep both.

If you're going to replace the Impala and need a daily driver, seriously get a 2009 or later car.

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/26/15 10:16 a.m.

Depends on the Impala and if that's your sort of thing. I assumed late model FWD blandness.

Hungary Bill
10/26/15 10:33 a.m.
RX8driver wrote: Depends on the Impala and if that's your sort of thing. I assumed late model FWD blandness.

'66 but 4-door and 6-cyl.

I'm going to post it for sale at a price I think is too high and let it sit there 'till spring. If it doesn't sell by then I'll mark it down a bit when the sun comes out

When it sells, I'll have a better idea of its replacement. I told Mrs. Hungary she needs to write down what the absolute minimum requirements are for my next car, because her husband is about to get completely stupid if left unchecked

Good times

Brett_Murphy
10/26/15 7:23 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: because her husband is about to get completely stupid if left unchecked Good times.

When you're able to warn your wife you're about to go off the rails so she can at least keep you slightly tethered to reality, it makes the resulting train wreck much more gentle, though.

Hungary Bill
10/27/15 10:41 a.m.

Oddly enough, it was a similar train wreck that landed the Impala.

Backstory: One of the dealerships in town (this is in Hungary) had an RX-8 for sale. It was black and it looked good so I went completely gaga. Mrs. Hungary told me "If you're going to buy a stupid boy car, you better do it now before we have too many kids" (we didn't have kids then)

So I started pulling money out of the ATM's. In Hungary you pay for everything in cash, so I had to pull out almost $14k. I also called a friend to help me translate, but ended up not needing him because you don't need to know much Hungarian to understand "sorry dude, it sold an hour ago".

cash in hand, there was NO WAY I wasn't getting a car. Hence the Impala (found it in Budapest).

Ironic then, that I'm again going rotary crazy and am contemplating selling the Impala to get an RX-8 (or RX-7, or RX-3, or Eunos Cosmo... I'm not picky)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6suIwaWDBeEYwKhjtRetMzXo0c8A7m8zEPx5dxX5WoqV4SkMpzDjfrvCuwRfhWB6