1 ... 6 7 8 9
Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 Reader
3/19/11 9:43 p.m.

You know your GRM when-

You find enough half full paint cans to paint your car- and even though some cans are 5+ years old all match (it was black...)

Your mom has more car cleaning supplies then you

Your dad restored a free 944

All 3 (!) of your roommates had the same make/model car as you, just different years (89,91,91,97 240sx)

I had an epic one but i forgot it. Ill try to post it later...

~Alex

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/19/11 11:08 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: you use extra/worn out car parts as 'decorations' in your living room.

One of the seats in my living room is from an Isuzu Rodeo. I've been thinking about trying to find some worn out valves to use as drawer pulls in the bathroom....

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
3/19/11 11:11 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Rufledt wrote: you use extra/worn out car parts as 'decorations' in your living room.
One of the seats in my living room is from an Isuzu Rodeo. I've been thinking about trying to find some worn out valves to use as drawer pulls in the bathroom....

Hmm...another decorating idea for my "ultimate gearhead" house..I'm gonna steal that idea from you.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
3/20/11 2:26 a.m.

When the owner to the local junkyard that is NOT a U-pull-it tells you to go back and let him know what you got. Mostly because your requests are so esoteric, it'll take less time for you to go pull it than to try and explain what you need and have a yard hand go get it.

Most of your favorite Motorsports have restrictions for spending limits for under $3000

When a non-GRM type person asks what you drive, and you have to give two answers. The name of the car, and then an explanation of what that really is.

When getting directions to pick-up parts from a seller 75% of the time they have to tell you "Let me tell you how to get here. It doesn't show up on GPS."

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/20/11 10:10 a.m.

When you bring home a new race car, with the front bumper obviously hanging on with zip ties, and the wife says "that looks in really good shape".

If you visit your local hardware store as much as the auto parts store, for parts for your car.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/20/11 12:39 p.m.

Your friends have stopped asking you for car advice because in their eyes you've gone beyond being "the car person" and descended into the depths of madness. This is not entirely unjustified, as anyone who makes the mistake of talking to you about cars finds when they are subject to a lengthy treatise on the great fuel economy of your C4 Corvette or how reliable a '78 Fiat can be "if you just pay a little attention to it."

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/11 1:34 p.m.

You know you are GRM when:

Any financial decision you make is first run past Joey48442, AngryCorvair and wheels777.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
3/20/11 2:15 p.m.

when replacing your SO's smashed up door you keep the old bent door and steel window parts because they might find themselves useful in a future challenge build.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
3/20/11 5:37 p.m.

When you have all the discount codes for Rockauto, Advance, Autozone, etc memorized. When you see an old rusty car on someones lawn and ponder what motor would swap well into it. When a parts catalog is reading material for the crapper.

Lugnut
Lugnut HalfDork
3/20/11 9:22 p.m.
92dxman wrote: When a parts catalog is reading material for the crapper.

I only recently discovered that not everybody does this. It rocked my world to find out that some people just... sit...

But Jay is on to something.

Jay wrote: Your friends have stopped asking you for car advice because in their eyes you've gone beyond being "the car person" and descended into the depths of madness

Plus a lot of times, when cars come up at work, most people look at me and say, "Well you probably won't like it but I have a ..."

Prius is never, ever the next word in that sentence.

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 Reader
3/21/11 6:33 p.m.

You know your GRM

when your cure for a headache is WOT during a destiontion-less drive. It works great!

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
3/24/11 10:47 a.m.

When you sit down to watch TV in your living room but the cable box won't turn on because there is a giant box of exhaust pipes blocking the signal from the remote control so you have to get up and move the box. Then you turn it on but then the TV turns off because the remote is set to power everything on at the same time, so you have to turn the TV back on MANUALLY O___o

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
3/24/11 11:04 a.m.

When you spent $500.00 on an old Camaro (not even one of the cooler years (86)), find subframe and floor pan damage after getting it home and give up on the project. After it sits in the driveway for a year, the wife states that it must go before any new toys come home....but don't get rid of any parts you might need later because we might find one worth rebuilding.

I really love my wife.

The Camaro is now in the laboratory being dismembered...I mean disassembled.

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
3/24/11 11:39 a.m.

The announcement of the "black edition" GRM shirts increased the quality of your wardrobe by at least 50%.

Come on, you know its true.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
3/24/11 12:27 p.m.

When your bath tub is stained with brake dust.

On a related note, what's the best way to get stubborn brake dust off of a white bath tub?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/24/11 12:52 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: When your bath tub is stained with brake dust. On a related note, what's the best way to get stubborn brake dust off of a white bath tub?

Simple R&R job'll take care of it

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/24/11 1:31 p.m.

you visit this forum

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/24/11 6:00 p.m.

When your idea of a good spring break is working on three different vehicles, you have used your kitchen in your apartment to work with composites.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/11 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

Mr Clean Magic erasers. Also works with overspray if you had to paint something and it was too cold out so you turned on the fan and heat lamp hoping the tub would work like a spray booth. It does but you will have overspray everywhere, even tha hall if you leave the door open.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
3/24/11 6:30 p.m.

When you get excited about-and bid on-old engine manuals for cars you don't own.

Why do I not specify which manual? Because I want to win and you're the only other people out there who would want it!

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/9/11 10:02 p.m.

when on your way to your best friends wedding reception and your the maid of honor and realize youve got a vaccuum leak and stop at the autozone to replace your intake manifold gasket on your way there. yes this happened. yes i was looked at like i was crazy.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
4/9/11 10:10 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: When your idea of a good spring break is working on three different vehicles,

I spent spring break fabricating the back end of my datsun.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
4/10/11 11:40 p.m.

You know your GRM when you go to the Indy Car race and spot a GRM shirt and walk across the paths of 100s of people just to tell the guy "cool shirt"

donalson
donalson SuperDork
4/11/11 2:42 a.m.

...you get given a car for payment of services you'd have done for free...

...your gm vehicle has a host of well established engine swap options... and you decide to go with a non gm engine.... cause ya know.... its turbo... and it was there for the taking...

You pull the drivetrain from a reasonably easy to fix car to swap into another car... then think about what to do with the now engineless chassis... lemons? Grm? Chump?... and what engine replaces the one you pulled for another project?...

Your wife is excited at the thought of getting rid of a newer car to buy one with 100k more miles because it has boost...

You pull the head to verify a blown head gasket... and instead of spending the 35$ to repair you pull it to swap in something else

The engine you're swapping will be in its 3rd car... and you refer to it as ONLY having 140k miles on it..

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
4/11/11 7:44 a.m.

When you weld together a trellis for the veggie garden out of steel from the wholesale metal place and chicken wire for $25 rather than buy one at $120 from a garden place.

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mCQV80vC4OT0Ie4jjiMsgA0sTsNwS1F8ZjTSLVtYxO0mG3UkIvWTvbifHaFIzY7X