1 2
Mental
Mental SuperDork
3/3/09 9:33 p.m.

I do. No seriously, my hair f-in rocks.

Look at this picture of me sporting the Richard Grieco look circa 1991

I know!!!

Anyway, I am using my awesome hair for good. I am raising money for kids with cancer by shaving my head. Its called St Baldilocks, and all I need is $150 and they'll do it. But given how you guys stepped up for the Angry P and the bike ride, I set a goal of $500. Here is my site, rest assured I will post pictures of the event as it happens and of me sleeping on the couch cuz my wife will hate me bald. http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/shavee_info.php?ParticipantKey=2009-338105#

The only thing you could do that would be more awesome? Sign up. http://www.stbaldricks.org/index.php#

You guys rock already, thanks for your support.

walterj
walterj Dork
3/3/09 9:36 p.m.

Would it help if I shaved my back?

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
3/3/09 9:42 p.m.

My cousin called and asked about the same thing. It's a good, funny program.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/09 6:34 a.m.

Did Mrs Ward crop out the groupie Captain?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/4/09 6:48 a.m.

My scalp is clean and cleared daily :)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/09 7:33 a.m.

dude, i never knew you were in a boy band!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/09 8:37 a.m.

It's the third Corey

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/4/09 9:00 a.m.
Wally wrote: It's the third Corey

Teenagers on the board are sitting there going "Corey Who?"

Wally
3/4/09 9:09 a.m.

Yeah I know I'm old. Saturday I was giving a girl directions to a bar and she said I reminded her of her father.

mtn
mtn Dork
3/4/09 9:09 a.m.

How long does your hair have to be to do this?

Mental
Mental SuperDork
3/4/09 10:05 a.m.

Not very long. In fact there is no length requirement, the concept is solidarity with kids who have cancer. If you have long hair, they are also collecting it for donations. Several folks here have donated to Locks of Love and its a similar deal.

I am in the military and keep mine reasonable (not Marine style, I mean I am Air Force and a flyer) and I never saw a length requirement for the before section. If you go to my donation page, that picture was taken last night in my office.

You should do it. Last night within 5 minutes of posting that, I got a donation and an email from this board of someone who did lose a child to cancer, and as they put it "Peaple just don't realise kids get cancer."

I can't imagine being a parent and staring down that loaded gun. Or being a child and wresling with concepts of death and eternity at an age where all I cared about was Hot Wheels.

Its just hair. Even in my case where its awesome hair, its just hair.

John Brown wrote: Did Mrs Ward crop out the groupie Captain?

Actually I cropped out the ex-Ms Mental, with scissors, years ago to keep domestic tranqulity and still keep that totally rad pic.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
3/4/09 10:08 a.m.
Wally wrote: Yeah I know I'm old. Saturday I was giving a girl directions to a bar and she said I reminded her of her father.

Dude! That was code words for "hey let's get..."

Well nevermind.

Back on topic, Good luck with the head shaving.

My son can grow hair pretty fast, so when it gets to 10 inches he has it cut for "Locks for Love."

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/09 12:04 p.m.
EricM wrote:
Wally wrote: Yeah I know I'm old. Saturday I was giving a girl directions to a bar and she said I reminded her of her father.
Dude! That was code words for "hey let's get..."

i totally would've asked if she was from West Virginia.

I just made my donation to the cause. At times like this, I kinda wish I had a job, LOL.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/6/09 8:57 p.m.

Bump up......Let's make sure Mental get's some GRM love.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
3/10/09 11:34 a.m.

Folks, I exceeded my original goal within a day of posting this here, in no small part thanks to the awesome GRMrs. Seriously, the first donation I got came from this board and you have stepped up beautifully, and I really, really appreciate it.

But, your generosity has made me cocky. OK, I was already cocky, but right now I am at $630, which is pretty damm cool. But I'd love to see $1,000. I ain’t stupid, I know times are tough and funds are tight, and if this is you and all you can do is support me in spirit, thank you. Really, I mean that.

But if a few of you could even donate a $1, or $5, I could very easily top $1,000

Regardless of if I make it or not, I will update this thread with the before and after pictures. I am grateful for all of your support and kind words, and I thank you for your time.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/10/09 11:37 a.m.

So whats the deal with this thing.....

Mental
Mental SuperDork
3/10/09 12:09 p.m.

I'm shaving my head as part of a nation-wide fundraiser to benefit children with cancer.

http://www.stbaldricks.org/index.php#

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/10/09 12:20 p.m.
Mental wrote: I'm shaving my head as part of a nation-wide fundraiser to benefit children with cancer. http://www.stbaldricks.org/index.php#

yeah I looked.. No event near me.. hmm... I'll talk to my wife.. I could use a summer look. HA!

Mental
Mental SuperDork
3/19/09 2:33 p.m.

Folks, I am a mere $150 away from my $1K goal. The support I have gotten here is waaay beyond what I expected and the notes I have gotten from you who have donated have been heartwarming, heartbreaking, beautiful and disturbing. Exactly what I expect from such a crowd.

You have more than stepped up.

Tomorrow I shave, expect pics.

But I am humbly asking for a mere $150 to put me at my goal. And again, if all you can do is support me in spirit, I thank you all the same.

This is a great community that may come here becuase we are gearheads, but we stay for the fellowship. I sincerely thank everyone here.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
3/21/09 3:47 a.m.

As promised... Before:

After:

The process of lock removal is here;

http://evilengineering.com/gallery/v/Mental/Me/baldricks/

Thanks to all that contributed! We raised $1,025.

92dxman
92dxman Reader
3/21/09 7:52 a.m.

Is it too late to donate to the pot?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/09 8:08 a.m.

What is that, an RD 400? Congratulations dude!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/21/09 8:19 a.m.

wife said you look younger and hotter without the hair.

I personally need to see some shots with your shirt off before making such a statement.

Good job with the charity work. i tried to get my wife to let me do it but she wouldn't let me shave my head. ugh..

fifty
fifty New Reader
3/21/09 9:11 a.m.
Mental wrote: After: We raised $1,025.

OMG Vin Diesel!

That's a great success - well done!~

Wally
3/21/09 9:11 a.m.
92dxman wrote: Is it too late to donate to the pot?

It's never too late to donate pot

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sDCl5TRoTzwDKAOR8sr9D4XRuEJNBFsTRFI2IpUi4z51JhhRYE6QRnVcfgcQOg0Z