1 2 3 4
foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/4/14 12:23 p.m.

No reason, just wondering what your remarkable reliable car or cars have been.

I'm going to put out my 91 Mazda Miata. 327k, and other than a burned exhaust valve and failed power steering pump it has never broken down or needed anything beyond regular maintenance. Far as I know, it's on the original clutch. It's scruffy and tatty, and keeps right on going down the road, every day.

Before this car, I'd have nominated my old Toyota trucks. They did quite well, but not as well as the Miata has. Honda CRX would be the next runner up.

So what have been your remarkable reliability wonders?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/14 12:27 p.m.

Probably my RX8. Shocking, I know.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/4/14 12:28 p.m.

2000 Accent. I couldn't kill that car. Wife couldn't kill that car. New owner can't either as we've seen it multiple times recently.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
6/4/14 12:30 p.m.

2001 Honda S2000 for 5 years.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/4/14 12:55 p.m.

Probably my old '71 Pontiac Catalina. It nearly made it to 200,000 miles with minimal maintenance, and always started no matter how cold it was outside. Rust finally killed it, even though it still ran great.

The BMW M535i I have now is at over 200k miles, but it's taken more maintenance to get it there.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
6/4/14 12:59 p.m.

Cars that have never left me, my brothers, or my fiance stranded and never needed anything that wasn't a regular maintenance item: Crown Victoria, Corolla, Tundra. All of them absolute workhorses.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/4/14 12:59 p.m.

First car was the most reliable, couldnt kill it vehicle Ive ever seen. Only once did it break down where I couldnt do anything immediately about it and that was a broken Ujoint. 89 Jeep Commanche pioneer regular cab short box 2wd with the 5 speed

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
6/4/14 1:02 p.m.

93 Geo Tracker my wife bought new. Over 100K, nothing has ever broken or gone wrong. IT's had consumables (tires, brakes, battery etc). I tell a lie. I had to change the thermostat once and the slider for the driver’s seat has rusted solid. That's it. It hasn't really moved in the last few years as it's slowly returning to the earth, but mechanically that thing is solid.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/4/14 1:02 p.m.

'03 Acura TL-S. Never had to repair it even once in 5 years of ownership. Just basic maintenance.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/4/14 1:05 p.m.

It's a toss-up for me between my 1989 Maxima SE and my current DD Mazda 3. The Maxima was purchased with 199,000 miles on it and lasted until 227k when it died at the hand of a Nissan Sentra trying to enter my back seat. During the two years I owned it, the car needed a CV shaft, ball joints, and two front tires. Other than that, it never left me stranded and it was dead reliable. I loved that car!

The 3 reminds me of the Maxima in a lot of ways. Both cars were white with directional wheels and black interiors, both had Bose stereos, both had around 165 hp, both had moon roofs, and both are extremely easy to work on and maintain.

I've racked up 66k+ on the 3 so far, and the only issue I have had so far is a squeaky motor mount and a clunky driver's seat. Both are annoying, but I can live with them. I just had to put tires on it, and brakes are getting installed this weekend. It just keeps going and going.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/4/14 1:10 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Probably my old '71 Pontiac Catalina. It nearly made it to 200,000 miles with minimal maintenance, and always started no matter how cold it was outside. Rust finally killed it, even though it still ran great.

Dad bought one new w/ a 350. Routine oil changes and recommended maintenance. Other than that only ever needed a water pump, heads were never off the motor. Traded it in at 205K still running great... kinda unheard of for the day. I took my drivers test in that car.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
6/4/14 1:30 p.m.

2004 Civic. Owned since new for ten years and just sold it a month ago. 118,000 miles and never had anything mechanical go wrong. Replaced the tires twice, brake pads once and timing belt/water pump service. Changed fluids and added gas. Currently own a 192,xxx mile 2004 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab that runs great.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
6/4/14 1:34 p.m.

A 2000 Ford Focus. Bought it just off warranty, somewhere around 37,000 miles on the clock. Put about 40,000 miles on it before selling it. Besides oil changes and spark plugs, the only repairs it needed were a modified air box to stop water coming in on the passenger side floor and a new handbrake handle after the release mechanism got stuck in the on position.

madmallard
madmallard HalfDork
6/4/14 1:52 p.m.

my current primary car. subaru wrx 2004.

210,000 miles, only replaced a recirc valve, the radiator core in the last 3000 miles, and two timing belt services.

i put all the miles on it, bought new~

madmallard
madmallard HalfDork
6/4/14 1:54 p.m.

... i contend that most cars built after 2002, even domestics, if the basic maintenance is done are 200k mile cars... i've seen them last longer and longer since then. the only thing that doesnt keep up is interior durability ;p

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
6/4/14 1:58 p.m.

I thought my Nissan truck was reliable at 375k miles, but it has had the engine rebuilt and head gasket done twice. Not doing the first had job in a timely manner caused the subsequent need to rebuild the engine.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
6/4/14 1:59 p.m.

1997 Toyota Avalon - 217k miles and counting - it's my daily driver. Has been in the family since day one and only received basic maintenance. I just replaced the original alternator two weeks ago.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
6/4/14 2:00 p.m.
madmallard wrote: ... i contend that most cars built after 2002, even domestics, if the basic maintenance is done are 200k mile cars... i've seen them last longer and longer since then. the only thing that doesnt keep up is interior durability ;p

I tend to agree with you. I was driving my father's old company car (a 1964 Plymouth Savoy) when the odometer turned 100k. That POS was ragged out at that point.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/4/14 2:02 p.m.

The Trooper. Bought it with 60k and a bad motor (PO would NOT change the damn oil) stuck a boneyard motor of unknown mileage in it and ran it for 12 years. Consumeables, 1 water pump, A/C compressor. Oh, replaced head gaskets for an oil leak. Since I don't know just how many miles the engine had I can't consider that a breakdown and it could have come from power washing by the boneyard.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/4/14 2:03 p.m.

1980 Toyota Corolla--- bought it with 64K miles on it, drove it through High School and College. It withstood ridiculous amounts of abuse without complaint. It had 130K or so on it when I rolled it 5 or 6 times into a cornfield in rural IL. I survived (was thrown), the car did not. Sad, as it had plenty of life left in it.

Here's a pic after my brother wrecked it, and before we painted it in my folks garage. Damn I loved that little car-- I'd totally buy another. It really was a poor-man's 2002.

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
6/4/14 2:18 p.m.

1957 Karman Ghia bought for $200 with 60k on the odometer. Other than brake pads, point, and plugs it got nothing but seat covers. Sold for $200 at 160k. Oh, and it got 30mpg.

I agree that modern cars can expect over 200k with nothing but normal maintenance. I have had two cars bought new that I drove for years and had nothing go wrong and never went back to the dealer -- Early Honda Civic Si and a Colt Vista. Wish I had kept the Si, it would have been a great autoX car through to today. It did pretty well when I had it bone stock in the late '80's.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
6/4/14 2:33 p.m.

81 Jetta 2dr. Bought it for $200 in 93 with 112K and sold it in 97 with 220K. Swapped the brake pads and shoes, replaced the ball joints and the fuel filter when I bought it. That was it.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
6/4/14 3:04 p.m.
Fletch1 wrote: 2004 Civic. Owned since new for ten years and just sold it a month ago. 118,000 miles and never had anything mechanical go wrong. Replaced the tires twice, brake pads once and timing belt/water pump service. Changed fluids and added gas. Currently own a 192,xxx mile 2004 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab that runs great.

Same, '04 Si. It is not treated gently but gets synthetic oil when needed. No tune-up yet. Only work has been due to mods, no shop visit except one alignment, which are now done at home. Oh, one of the ac vents lost the gizmo for adjusting flow direction so it hasn't been perfect.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
6/4/14 3:10 p.m.

1985 Toyota 4WD extended cab P/U. I loved that thing and really hated to sell it.

Regular maintenance; rebuilt the clutch slave cyl.; and had to repair a small rust hole under one of the tail lights after about 8 years. That was the only surprise. Sold it with 108K miles in 2000 for top retail price. I still miss it.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/14 3:11 p.m.

1987 Toyota 4x4 w/22r

300,000mi on the clock (almost exactly) when I sold it locally and I still see it running around town.

Never needed a damn thing in the 100k I owned it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
scXCqQltTHKbNPcIxjxzq2ShuesPgG7vy10fBGkXV7Jafchgz0kf8MM0ZuKw793m