1 2 3 4
classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
7/30/18 8:20 p.m.

After getting cranked back up on the Courier project, and continuing to use my Expedition, I've realized it's in my best interests to cut losses now and sell the 3rd car.  

Update 3/10: I just need this gone! Hoping to buy a house soon, 

Update 4/22: Need it gone right meow

Car as-is: $3250

Car as-is (4/22) - $2750

Bring your own wheels: 2200

Car without the current wheel/tire package: $2750 (bring your own wheels, or just tires to mount to the 16" wheels here)

Additional option: 

$400 package front suspension/steering refresh

Z3 Steering Rack - quicker ratio, used but would be good replacement.

Inner and outer tie rods - Lemforder (OE Replacement)

Lower control arms (Meyle HD - seem to be preferred for handling and durability)

Offset LCA bushings - E36 m3 style, seem to be just solid rubber

I bought this a few months ago and have done a good bit of refreshing and cleaning it up. 

Basic Info:

1995 318ti

5 Speed manual

180k miles

M-Tech swapped interior (Black Millpoint interior)

Located just outside Detroit, MI

Asking: $4300 for GRMers (OBO)

Pretty rust free, much better than I expected a Michigan car to be (and I'm from the rust-free south)

Aftermarket/Upgrade parts: 

Strombung exhaust - at least the muffler, could be the whole catback.

Nice radio with Bluetooth hookup

M-Tech interior, fully black

DSII wheels, 2 @ 17x7.5, 2 @ 17x8.5 - includes one spare rear, had been welded/repaired at some point, but was on the car when I got it

Below is a list of the new parts that I've installed since getting it:

Parking brake shoes and hardware

Rear Shocks

Staggered Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires - (bring your own wheels/tires, or promise me the tires back and I'll cut some money off :) )

All new Lug Studs

Front brake pads and rotors

All 4 rotor set screws

Intake air boot (rubber)

Intake Plenum Gasket

ICV Hose

Power steering reservoir

2 lines from power steering reservoir to rack

Radiator (Nissens)

Radiator Hoses (Rein)

German blue coolant

Water Pump

Thermostat

Temperature sender (for fan)

New Idler pulley for AC - Bracket seems to need replacing as the belt won't tension right

New belts for AC and Alternator/WP

New Ignition Cylinder and 2 new keys

New window regulators and OE slides

Brand new headlights

PPO had swapped to this M-Tech interior, but dyed the gray carpet black, and painted the center console. I swapped these out with interior from a true black interior TI to try and clean it up some. I think it looks much better - even got the rear parcel cover

Parts it comes with:

Extra set of 16x7 wheels

Reverse switch - Sometimes the reverse lights just stay on. Could be because some of the rear light panel is made up of LED's, or could be this switch going bad

Bunch of parts related to shifter bushings/clips, and pedal bushings to tighten up any play

What it needs:

Steering rack seals are apparently not in good shape - I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade to the Z3 rack for a quicker ratio

The steering coupler - seems to be common on E36's for them to get sticky. I sprayed mine with grease and it moves smoothly but should still be replaced

Front Shocks: I was planning to do the whole front end in one go, from steering rack to shocks and everything in between more or less

Driver's side wiper arm - another apparently common issue is that the spring/something gets a little loose, and the arm doesn't hug the windshield as it should. Can interfere with hood opening up

Electric fan doesn't seem to turn on - the sensor is new. I haven't followed the wiring to see if there's a split, or if the fan itself is to blame. In my relatively few short trips around town it hasn't been a big deal, I just watch the temp gauge.

Exhaust... Leak? Kinda smelly, haven't really looking into fixing it yet.

Rear speakers - at one point, they were hooked up to an amplifier, but the wires are cut. When I swapped to the "true" black interior I noticed this. They are still cut, but I may look into soldering them back into working.

Driver's door panel put back on - bought it with it off, and it's still that way. I don't have the hardware.

Passenger door panel is sketchy - I think the mounting hardware/points have been broken off, and need hot glued/otherwise patched up to get the door panel to hold better.

Both interior door sills that came with the car have the clip retainers broken off. I have the new clips, but I haven't ordered new black door sills yet.

Long and short of it is this car is pretty much a few "small" things and some time away from being a really great, and a fairly new car mechanically. But I've set a deadline for my Courier, and having the money and space from getting this gone would really help me out. Listed on GRM first. More pictures to follow in the coming days, or feel free to reach out if you want to see anything in particular. PM me on here is the best way to start talking. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/18 8:44 p.m.

I can vouch for the lack of rust and general solid-ness of this car, as the PO is a family friend and I was tasked with finding him a solid first car.  It runs really well, the clutch feels good, and I'm pretty sure it's got an LSD (but I'm old and my brain is full so I'll let CJ address that).

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
8/10/18 7:09 a.m.

Bump, drove it to work today. Lots of fun with the sunroof open. Still need it gone..

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
8/14/18 8:31 a.m.

Passenger window regulator came off track. The shop that set it in originally said the window mounts were a little bent. 

Price drop to $3900. Make offers! 

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
8/24/18 8:13 a.m.

Still in my driveway. I would like it to  be anywhere but here - someone please come take this away!

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
8/29/18 4:36 p.m.

Here's what under the car looks like:

Rear Pass Jack point

Front end: New headlights, pass kidney grille incorrect

Pass side is missing door handle trim and quarter trim:

Driver's side:

Front wheel:

Accepting offers. Really need this off my insurance and my property

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/10/18 8:39 p.m.

$3700? Anyone interested?

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/18/18 2:49 p.m.

Would LOVE this gone next week. Genuinely open to offers.

Drove it to work Monday, and I'll drive it back home upcoming Monday when I'm back in town. Lots of fun - primary notes - idle is still weird after cleaning iacv, guessing vacuum leaks or needs to be cleaned again; Pulls a little to the right - new tie rods and LCAs (included), and steering rack + alignment will solve that; Still wants to run over "middle hot" if heat isn't running. I'll check on Belt tension when I get it back home to see how the belt is slipping on the WP and causing that. Still fun to drive.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
9/25/18 1:12 p.m.

$3300 bring your own wheels/tires?

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
10/9/18 8:23 a.m.

Still here. I have a new resistor which I expect to fix the radiator fan issue. I've bled the coolant system once more to get some air out, and I'll do it again.

All rear LED's have been removed and replaced with regular bulbs. 

Exhaust leak was trans tunnel insulation sagging onto the exhaust - it has been cut back and the smell is much more normal. Exhaust rattle is a weld holding the exhuast to the tranmission broke. Just needs a rubber isolator and a little time.

Fresh oil change (5w30 full synthetic) with OE BMW filter. Batch of fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. This thing's probably been driven under 2000 miles in the last 2.5 years, I think a lot of the "issues" it is having can be solved by simply driving it a little more!

Help me free up some cash, and get your "winter project" ready for next season of autocross/track duty!

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
11/15/18 5:54 a.m.

Been putting more miles on this, still driving better as it gets driven more! 

Because it was clearly an issue for a lot of people who showed interest here cheeky I went ahead and replaced the hatch struts and have a driver's wiper arm on the way to fix that problem. 

There's a ground wire for the front right brake pad sensor that's broken and corroded, so dash lights are on for brake pads and brake info

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
11/20/18 9:59 a.m.

New driver's side wiper arm and wiper blade installed. Nobody here is looking for a pretty solid E36?

AngryCorvair
11/20/18 10:28 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets :

Funny you’d bump this today.  Simon’s mom dropped off a couple of new coolant hoses that didn’t get installed when he finished putting the intake back on.  They’re free for you.  We moved to Oak Park a few months ago so pickup is even easier.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
11/20/18 2:12 p.m.

Awesome! I'll shoot you a text next week and see if I can come over and grab them! Is that just for work, or did you move all the way up here? if you moved up here, maybe I can help some with the challenge build..

AngryCorvair
11/21/18 5:03 a.m.

In reply to classicJackets :  

Office moved to Oak Park.  We still live in Canton.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
12/3/18 9:27 p.m.

Drop to $3500? Come get it this weekend. I'm supposed to re-register it in December and I don't want to. Now comes with more new parts courtesy of AngryCorvair. I'll drive it to the Michigan Meet-up this week if anyone local is interested..

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
12/19/18 9:16 a.m.

Drove it into work today. Cruise control works, heat works, rear defrost and rear wiper work. Honestly a comfortable cruising car. I have the hardware for the driver's door panel, should get that put back on this week!

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
1/8/19 7:20 a.m.

Hey guys. 3500 here, bring your own set of wheels (or tires to mount in the 16" set I have here) and you'll take it home under 3300. Still registered insured and drivable (took it to the movies this weekend) but I'm tired of looking at it.

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
1/30/19 5:29 p.m.

Hey guys, Please buy this! hasn't been on the road since it's been snowy/salty. 

If the current wheels aren't your style, can work out something to get you some staggered Style 32's (17 x 7.5, 8.5) painted white for a few hundred more.

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
3/10/19 5:36 p.m.

Update 3/10: I just need this gone! Hoping to buy a house soon, 

Car as-is: $3250

Car without the current wheel/tire package: $2750 (bring your own wheels, or just tires to mount to the 16" wheels here)

Additional option: 

$450 package front suspension/steering refresh

Z3 Steering Rack - quicker ratio, used but would be good replacement.

Inner and outer tie rods - Lemforder (OE Replacement)

Lower control arms (Meyle HD - seem to be preferred for handling and durability)

Offset LCA bushings - E36 m3 style, seem to be just solid rubber

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
4/10/19 12:25 p.m.

Hey guys, desperately want this gone. New horn in place and working, new turn signal harness in place of some crappy connections on the old one. Going to put in a "new" Cam Position Sensor this weekend after noticing a slight dampness under the one that's in there now. Could be the cause of some the related "weird" issues. I'll post back..

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
4/12/19 9:36 p.m.

Love the "stance"

I have both side panels and the hatch tray/cover

Want it gone.... enable my next, horrible idea of a purchase!

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
4/22/19 6:01 p.m.

Update and Price drop 4-22

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
6/10/19 4:38 a.m.

Cars still up - $2500 takes all?

I DD'ed it for a few weeks and popped a tire on a pothole (thanks Michigan), hoping to get that replaced this week and it'll be ready to roll again

greenfieldhippi
greenfieldhippi New Reader
6/15/19 10:13 p.m.

Is it still available?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cC6z82RKYJSGAFPxMMaQb9z7huxgZ6iHS10Z3kepvHx4dXl8atShINi0pisiwdUZ