DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/10/18 3:24 p.m.

For Sale:
1987 Mazda RX7 race car minus drivetrain and seat. $4,000.

For a couple years I've wanted to move on to a different chassis, and I've now got the RX7 dialed in to the point where I feel comfortable letting it go. An odd statement I admit, but I want the next owner of this car to be able to toss in an engine/transmission, seat and go have a blast.

I'm taking the rotary engine (and supporting equipment) and tranny out and my seat. What's left?

A 6-point hillclimb cage and tubular back-half
A Ford 8.8 IRS differential swap with fresh 5.14 gears and Eaton TruTrac LSD (all new Spring 2016)
JRZ RS PRO dampers from Anze Suspension (New Spring 2017)
ATL 16-gallon fuel cell in aluminum case
Longacre SMI gauge package and Tach
De-powered S5 RX7 steering rack
17x8 BBS rims with Yokohama slicks (still lots of life)
Willwood floor mount pedal box
Rear heim-jointed toe links
Rear individual camber adjusters
Front Ground Control Camber plates
Sundry bits and bobs I won't remember.

This car is a perfect candidate for a V8 - you'll have to work to build an engine that can break the Ford 8.8. Hell you could put a Benz OM606 in it for all I care. Car was sub 2,100lbs wet weight.

The exterior could use some care like fresh fenders and doors. Currently it has a carbon fiber rear hatch with a massive NACA duct. I can make a plain hatch for the buyer or they can put the glass back in it, which I kept in storage.

I have some spares to go along with it including an aluminum hood, new front control arms etc.

I'm firm on the price given the value this package represents. I would love to have a hillclimber grab this or for the future owner to hillclimb it. It would actually make a pretty sweet drift missile too if I'm honest.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/13/18 3:38 p.m.

Could be talked into selling it as a turnkey for the right buyer and of course more money.

Seat is a Cobra Sebring GT
Engine is a half-bridge 13B with a bunch of goodies and a T2 transmission with custom aluminum driveshaft.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/26/19 12:22 p.m.

Do you still have this car?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/26/19 4:20 p.m.

I do, but it's been so long the car has entered prep for Mt. Washington and isn't for sale now. 

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/27/19 5:03 p.m.

Oh, so you are running it in 2020, I presume.

That's fantastic, I'll be sure to follow along! I don't expect to have a car that will be legal for that event in time, but you never know...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XNRkwEYm0bIbPEnZkfsucAg7gUb7OmiFG58PtFfIrdKxI01EWegDIJAyMwma5oMD