chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
11/11/18 9:33 a.m.

So I'm not having much luck finding the part I need.  The passenger parking/brake light socket is slightly melted and we are not getting full contact which means the brake light is not lighting up when the brake pedal is depressed.  So far my searches on Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, Rockauto, car-parts.com, ebay and google are yielding umpty squat.  Does anybody have a good source of parts for these cars?  There aren't many you pull it places near me to go poking around.

Halp?

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/12/18 2:54 p.m.

Which Saturn is it?

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
11/12/18 3:13 p.m.

Well...that might help.

So we picked up a 2003 Saturn LW200 with 40k miles on it.  Budget friendly price but it's going to be SWMBO's daily driver.  Unless she gets a telecommuting job in which case I get to park the Jag for the winter but that's neither here nor there.

I was able to clean the contacts with a dremel and plastic then brass brush and after finagling with it for some time (it's not easy to get it to sit in its hole) we have full working lights so I'm good on that aspect right now.  However I am still curious as to a good location for Saturn parts.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
11/13/18 7:14 a.m.

We had an 02 wagon for a bit: there was a recall on the bulb holder bracket for melting. 

We got the recall harness from a pick n pull.

The recall harness would not keep good contact, I found the original harness worked best: however I put in some LED bulbs to cut down on the heat.

Unfortunately, pick n pull yards are probably the only resource, and I'm sure these are drying up.

This is the original bulb bracket: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/saturn,2002,lw+wagon,3.0l+v6,1388505,electrical-bulb+&+socket,turn+signal+lamp+socket,4024. , It plugs into a board. If you have this setup, I would try to get it working with some LED bulbs. The recall harness replaces the whole board assembly with a flexible wiring harness and it never worked well for us.

Good luck!

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
11/19/18 5:45 a.m.

In reply to daytonaer :

Thank you sir!  I appreciate the info, I'm sure this is the route we'll take.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1LjhMdYuZhqQXtH63BK4u1NJbQK0eFuZKBYhozuE5siKnXtWTzKm9ht9QQYBSvJn