1 2
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/26/18 10:16 a.m.

Deucekid #1 is about to get her license. Deucekid #2 is a few monts away from his permit. After a LOT of talking with Mrs. Deuce we've come to the conclusion that it's time to transition away from kid haulers to cars that we can drive with them. I'm pretty sure you guys know all about these two but some light reading in case you want to know anything. 

V Wagon 29K miles, $60K, comes with the TSW wheels. 

R63 98K miles, $35K, comes with new front brakes in the boxes, the good scanner that let's you read all the systems, and a sense of existential dread. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/18 10:20 a.m.

Aww, c'mon. What could be a problem with 1063 hp and two 16 year olds?

mazdeuce - Seth
2/26/18 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I did the math and it would actually be cheaper to build a building just to store them for the next decade than insure them with kids driving. Someone should enjoy them. They're both awesome. 

Keith Tanner
2/26/18 10:31 a.m.

I have a good middle ground proposal. I will store the V for the next decade for free. I can probably even shake free a cheap-to-insure and friendly Miata for the kids in the meantime. It may have a toibo.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/26/18 10:46 a.m.

The next thread will have Seth buying a fleet of Mazda 2's and thus coming full-circle. 

To be honest, I'd put both on BaT.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/26/18 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I'm trying to avoid that, but it might end up being the good option.

mazdeuce - Seth
2/26/18 11:34 a.m.

You'd hate driving an LSA with 2k extra pounds. I've tried so hard to want to own a Miata over the past couple months. It's just not gelling with me on an emotional level.

Keith Tanner
2/26/18 12:08 p.m.

Nope, it would go in the garage beside the M5. I'm okay with heavy highway cars with heroic engines, they're a different kind of fun than the hair on fire specials.

There are a bunch of different Miatas. But if you prefer the Mazda 2 (as I think you've said) then it's pretty clear you're looking at a different set of attributes than the Miata offers. Fair enough, there's a reason that Mazda sold both cars. That said, two big advantages of Miatas for teens is that you can have no more than one distracting friend in the car at the time and the interior does not lend itself well to hanky panky.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/26/18 12:26 p.m.

You're exiting the family hauler phase as I'm entering it - I wonder if I can talk my wife into the V.....

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
2/26/18 12:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

That said, two big advantages of Miatas for teens is that you can have no more than one distracting friend in the car at the time and the interior does not lend itself well to hanky panky.

These are/were my arguments with Mrs. Wx on letting the boys get their uncle's 84 vette, or an El Camino.  It at least worked for the Vette.  devil

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
2/26/18 12:35 p.m.

I still have a Mustang thats purely kid friendly!

And we are about to pay off stuff with the sale of a house and such, but I dont think I would get a greenlight to purchase one of these.....

mazdeuce - Seth
2/26/18 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Thinkkker :

You KNOW you want the R63. Your life is too predictable. The R63 will keep you awake at night wondering. It's amazing. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/26/18 1:07 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

If there's a positive, they have held their value remarkably well. You'd peel a little bit of value off if you daily it, but you'd probably spend more on gas than depreciation. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/18 1:38 p.m.

I know what’s going on here...You two are buying a Cayman, aren’t you?wink

mazdeuce - Seth
2/26/18 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Nope. We've actually decided to back off the fleet for a bit while we get the kids going. Kid#1 likes the Volt and is excited to get her license in it. Kid#2 is chomping at the bit to get his license and get back to rallycross. He's got a very strong idea that driving a manual is manly and he wants to be manly. After that we still have two more kids. That leaves us driving right seat a LOT over the next decade and we decided to focus on that. We were offered a Cayman GT4 the other day. Had to stop and think about that for a second. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/26/18 2:30 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Woody :

That leaves us driving right seat a LOT over the next decade and we decided to focus on that. 

So that means you're looking for a RHD Mini? wink

My only other advice is look for something with an easy/cheap to replace clutch.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
2/26/18 4:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I have a good middle ground proposal. I will store the V for the next decade for free. I can probably even shake free a cheap-to-insure and friendly Miata for the kids in the meantime. It may have a toibo.

I can extend the same offer with a nice auto Rio with great suspension. I promise to keep it off the snow and ice too. I'll even keep insurance on it while it's here.... Just drop it off on your way through in May.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/26/18 5:19 p.m.

I can assure a salt free environment, a classic corolla, and a versa with a new trans. Kids are all into old E36 M3 now, the corolla is perfect. And it's a wagon! I know you like wagons. I'm pretty sure it will fit a tuba. , amd the versa is a hatch AND a manual. Kid can haul tuba, row the gears, and do it all at legal speeds, because the thing struggles at 80. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/28/18 12:29 p.m.

I know it's cool to hate on these visually, but holy moly do they clean up nice. Part of it is that they drop themselves when parked, but when you really look at how Mercedes managed to make a van unmistakably Mercedes, it's impressive. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/18 2:30 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Mercedes really hit the styling mark during this era, while BMW IMO did just the opposite.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
2/28/18 4:48 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Thinkkker :

You KNOW you want the R63. Your life is too predictable. The R63 will keep you awake at night wondering. It's amazing. 

Yes, but the towing ability of the Escalade will keep it in the stable.

Plus, I am just too cheap to get this from you.  Im just gonna be honest here ;)

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/28/18 5:20 p.m.

And you are seldom the one driving people to the party.

Pete

mazdeuce - Seth
3/1/18 12:23 p.m.

There is, at this very moment a black 2014 spd V Wagon on BAT

BAT V-Wagon

AND there's a white 2007 R63 with a sick transmission and few other small issues.  

BAT R63

So that's kind of cool and weird. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/1/18 2:48 p.m.

Hmm... reserve not met at $50K. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/1/18 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Which is why I'm cautious of BAT. The red one  that sold for $53k a bit ago wasnt anywhere near as nice. Auctions are weird.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lFmIwsQphYsapsgwTK2ZMalO185IC2h1SRJgjWW6EwG6NLeVADvPPGqAVbkQU8wm